collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you like/collect g3.5?

I love them and actively seek them/have finished my collection!
4 (4.9%)
I like them but I do not actively seek them out.
19 (23.5%)
I've gotten a few. I'll keep them, but I don't care for them.
23 (28.4%)
I do not like them and try to get them out of the house if I can.
24 (29.6%)
I hate them viciously and they are banned from the herd.
11 (13.6%)
Other (comment?)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: G3.5 10 Years Later-Thoughts?  (Read 5269 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
G3.5 10 Years Later-Thoughts?
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:20:50 PM »
G3.5 was released in 2009, so this is its first anniversary year. Hooray! (?)
We tend to be more fond of things when they are no longer in stores, what do you guys think?
I think they're cute. I don't actively seek them out but I think it's a nice little compact collection that wouldn't be too hard to complete. I also really appreciate that they have forelocks and that the rooting of the hair changes a bit depending on the intended hairstyle of the pony.
It's sad they didn't have a wide range of characters, and Newborn Cuties was questionable at best. I don't think I'd leave them behind at a thrift store.  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Re: G3.5 10 Years Later-Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
My opinion of them hasn't really changed. They still look like fetal G4s to me, although at least the hair was nice. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Their faces bug me.  I just really, really don't like their face proportions / expressions.  I guess they were going for that whole "make things look like a human baby so people will love it" thing but I don't think that works very well on horses!

They must have been popular with kids at some point though because I do find a fair amount at thrift stores.   I don't pick them up on their own but sometimes I get them in baggies with other ponies.  (I put them on eBay, lol.)

Edit:  They do have really nice hair though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:05:47 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »
I still think they are ugly, though not quite as bad as some people make out. I wouldn't mind owning one (and only one) but I wouldn't go actively seeking them out. I think the babies with the broken, backwards bending knees in the crawling pose are the worst part of 3.5 honestly. The standard ponies themselves aren't that bad.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
I collect them as much as I do the others, I think they look really cute! BUT, because Hasbro decided to keep going with the awful Core 7 thing, they are by far the least fun generation to collect for me because it is all Core 7 (and the three moms). I'll more or less consider my G3.5 collection to be complete once I get Cheerilee and Scootaloo's mom for the normal ponies, and Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and StarSong for the babies. There are some specific versions of characters I do have already that I'd like to get at some point, but I don't know if I'm gonna actively seek them out. Aside from the ones I listed to complete having each character that exists in normal and baby form, any more additions will just be from me thrifting all the ponies I don't have that I happen upon in the wild.

3.5 would be much more fun to collect if Hasbro had ditched the Core 7 nonsense and had recreated more G3 ponies in 3.5 form.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
I first bought ponies during G3 and I stopped buying MLP because they started making G3.5. I just don't like the way they look. I have a few in the house though, just so I can say I have them, but they all came in lots with other generations.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 05:36:38 PM »
I was already losing interest in G3 during the later years so G3.5 was totally off the radar for me, I wasn't really collecting any pony things right then. Now though I purposefully avoid g3.5 if I get some I just throw them in a lot with fakies, g4 doubles and sad g3 ponies and put them on the FB marketplace. Need to save my space for cute ponies

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
I wasn’t excited by 3.5.  Though I barely knew it happened.  I distinctly remember G1, G2 and G3 but I wasn’t paying attention near the end of G3.
So, I missed out.

I do think they’re kinda cute.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
G3.5 is cute, you guys are just mean. :P

But I don't really want doubles of the same character. I need Toola Roola and the moms and I'm done! I might be interested in some of the anthro Ponyvilles, though...

Offline OleGrayMane

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:45 PM »
I don't go out of my way to get them, but they aren't sent away.
They are a nice size to work with, compared to a G4 brushable, and the hair is okay. The solid bodies make them really heavy.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
They still look a little funky with their proportions to me, but they’ve grown on me a little! I actually love the weight they have to them, and they do have much nicer quality control than G4! I’ve gotten a couple in lots and I’m letting them stay.  :) I don’t think i’m going to go out of my way to buy them though.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
     I remember hating them growing up, as most of my formative years were with g3, and I disliked change. Now? I can say they’re lower on the ladder for me in terms of toys and animation. They’re alright. Not as bad as newborn cuties (massive rant about those things,but my sisters childhood baby skywishes is a proud member of the herd) but I’ve come to alright terms. I don’t have many of the toys, and I don’t actively seek g3.5 out. But I’m happy to have the g3.5 McDonald’s rainbow dash and pinkies grocery store playset from my childhood. Not my faves, but they are a part of the herd. And I don’t leave any herd member behind.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 12:17:58 AM »
I don't like them and give them away to small children if any sneak into the house as parts of lots. My friend and I once sneakily used some (together with a few G4) to swop with her nieces in order to get her childhood G1 ponies back from the gran's house. We felt that was a very good use to make of them. Now my friend has the G1's safe in her herd and the kids still have ponies to destroy - um, PLAY WITH - and everyone is happy. Fantastic!!!

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
I actually think they're cute. And they are better quality than a lot of G4; their hair is amazing. I don't actively seek them out, but I keep them if I find them. I have 4 (Cheerilee, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle).

I have several Ponyville figures too, I'm not really sure if those are G3 or G3.5.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:19:46 AM by Shaz »

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 03:21:49 AM »
I only really collected the PonyVille figurines of them, as a kid I was only interested in the G3 ponies (G3.5 didn't really interest me as a kid plus I began losing interest in ponies then) I wouldn't say G3.5 are as bad as some say- they're kinda cute in their own way but I prefer them as PonyVille figurines compared to brushables as I think their style works better as little figures :P
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:25:25 AM by StrawberrySundance »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal