collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Create a G1 Line!  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: Create a G1 Line!
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like them! :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:02 AM »
Years ago I designed a set of Slumberparty Baby Ponies, but I can't find the files anywhere. :( They were adorable (if I may say so myself :P ), but I don't even remember exactly what they looked like or what their names were. I think there was a yellow pegasus in Baby Surprise's pose with a pillow and feathers for a symbol...

EDIT: Noooooooooo! I found the thread on the Arena Archives, but the picture doesn't work anymore (not that I expected it to)... I didn't even write their names in the opening post. :doh: Here's the link anyway... http://mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/t=247818.html

Post Merge: February 08, 2019, 05:19:00 AM

Aaaaaaah! I found them! :D :frolic:

May I introduce to you... My set of Slumber Party Baby Ponies!

These are AMAZINGLY cute...

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:21 AM »
Thanks! :D

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
I love the Slumber party babies!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
I have created a line of Pegasus boys called the Island Boys.  I never drew them (because I can't draw), but they're named for tropical weather.  Hurricane, Monsoon, Jet Streak, Trade Wind, Pineapple Express, and El Nino.  They would be brightly colored (being tropical) and come with aloha shirts and plastic leas.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »
I love those names for your pegasis boys.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 09:12:51 AM »
The fun thing to do would be to create something new with G1. But since the original line ran for 10 years and did tons of different ponies/gimmicks, it doesn't feel like there's lots of holes left to fill. Most things have been done. It would also be important to me that the new stuff feels in line with classic G1, as if it's something that could've been released during that time, but wasn't.

It would be cool to see some kind of reimagining or "alternate universe version" of G1. Like what if the line had gone in a different direction. For example, if we imagine years 3-10 never happened and make a set of ponies that are more in line with the classic year 1-2 styles. Simple symbols, various horse markings like the blazes on Bubbles/Seashell, and they still have an obvious horse theme in their gimmicks and accessories (which I feel MLP quickly abandoned in its early years). Not to erase the MLPs we all love of course, but to give an alternate interpretation of what could have been. I think something like that would at least be interesting.

There's lots of routes you could go down with this. I guess a more obvious one would be to pick up where G1 ended (in the US or in Europe) and imagine what it would've been like if the line had continued through the mid '90s and beyond. (I think the above slumber party baby set is a good example of something like that. Especially Hasbro in Europe were very keen on Baby Pony sets of various themes in the later years)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:19:52 AM by Lilja »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
If it had continued beyond 1994, what we'd have seen would probably have been the following (roughly):

Tales ponies in various additional releases (we already got remakes of Starlight, Melody in 1993 and Sweetheart in 1994, I am sure the others were coming as well). Possibly continuous releases of them in basic form since 1994 repeated the tales set under the name MLP Friends with stickers instead of 7 characters with combs and ribbons.

There would be no pegasus or unicorn ponies, as Hasbro had phased them out by 1993. The pseudo-unicorn baby pose used by Lollipop and Sapphire is kind of testament to that.

There would be no shire males either, given that the male pose was gone by this point. We might have got Ace, Teddy and Lancer but they would have been probably in Shady's pose.

That said, new poses were introduced in the final year of production, and gimmicks were still pretty much in the works. Just, with the possible exception of Princess Sparkle, who according to the comics really only existed in someone's dream, the 2 years centred around Europe and the UK focused on 'slice of life' rather than magic and mystery. With backcard stories about dates, dances, jewel balls etc, that is probably the way it would've gone had it continued further.

I don't know whether it would've been a good or bad thing. I always feel like with the 7 characters, Hasbro reset MLP back to basics. But to me it's also the first iteration of the rinse repeat core group of characters that are present in G2, G3 and which have taken over G4 and destroyed it in my view. So in some ways I'm glad it ended at the point it did.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 12:23:25 AM »
Maybe ponies with more creature like features? definitly fantasy themed. Or a super special wind whistler with poseable limbs and wings and real feathers, rooted wioth dyed human hair. <3
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50:15 AM »
OMG!! Alright, first of all, Basic Fun are you hiring? Because I would LOVE to be one of your new toy design - Hello? Did you just hang up on me?! :P

So once I got them back on the line, I'd pitch them my awesome fun new concept for The Youths(tm): Galaxy Ponies! These would each have a cool space-based theme as their symbol, and they would be a cool mix of stylized galaxy prints, some with more cartoony star patterns and planets and such! They'd all come in great color schemes, with lots of deep blues, purples, and rich pinks, but there would still be a pastel pink pony in the set, for the 4 year old girls to love on! And, of course, at least one bright green pony! Maybe his name is Quasar, or something! And did I mention? They'd all be in Big Brother molds, but we wouldn't mention any genders on the boxes; if you want a cool clydesdale mare, that's totally up to you, you amazing 5 year old! (But we collectors would be excited for more Big Brother poses!) They'd also have glowing star elements! Some would have glowing hair, some would have glowing stars embedded in the plastic, and some would have glowing symbols!

Their accessories would be a little brush (maybe in an alien space ship shape!), and little flower crown accessories. Why flower crowns? Why not! I love em! And so do The Youths(tm)!!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »
I had forgotten the combs/brushes of the Island Boys.  Being weather based, they would come with either a blowing cloud brush or a lightning bolt comb.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal