collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Toy Opinions  (Read 13669 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Toy Opinions
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
I hated dolls as a kid. I realised as an adult that to be interested in dolls requires the dolls to either be really unique or have a solid character base behind them. So I have Jem dolls and Monster High ones. Both of which have characterisation. Jem especially. I don't really think of EQG as properly 'dolls', even though they're humanoid ;)

Really hate 'baby dolls' with a passion. Anything that encourages a girl into the stereotypical gendered role of taking care of baby from a young age is absolutely anathema to me. Kids pushing baby dolls around in pushchairs and changing their nappies and getting ones that 'really pee' or whatever. Creepy and wrong in my book. Really also hate similarly designed domestic toys that mean girls get vaccuum cleaners and stuff while boys get work benches and so on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
As children, my sister and I had plenty of baby dolls.  We treated them like action figures.  Luke Skywalker, Batman and Wonder Woman were super heroes out to save the world -in baby form.   :lol:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 12:19:55 AM »
Another pet peeve, there’s no Made to Move Ken dolls in different skin tones of size, how am I supposed to do my custom characters who have different heights?

Plus some Barbie dolls aren’t coming here to the U.K like the Team Stacie dolls.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
I don't like Breyer Decos and I think Glossies are awful.

I don't mind static figures or limited articulation.

I don't mind non-transforming Transformers. Rescue Bots, Hero Mashers, McDs and Titan Warriors are fun.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Enough with the anime-inspired designs... Let's enjoy some other art styles for awhile!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Yep, I too find baby dolls a bit creepy.

My daughter has a "Baby Annabelle", she adores her, but also a mechanised CRAWLING version which is just a HORROR STORY IN ACTION  :bolt: (she won't play with it, bad present-choice from Daddy lol)

Those new Bush Baby hanging toys have odd faces too. When things begin to look too humanoid, you get the creep factor coming in. If features are exaggerated, it kinda works and looks cute, but too similar and it just puts me off.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
What's with Fingerlings? How are you supposed to play with them?? Why are these so popular???

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 05:22:21 AM »
I'm not a fan of little plastic toys like G4 blind bags, Shopkins etc. I like things big enough to hold in my hand that are either soft or have brushable hair/something you can do something with.

Like a lot of people on this thread, I never had baby dolls or any interest in Barbie.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:46 AM »
Why have all the TY beanies have big eyes that move when you’re walking past.  :shocked:

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
I'm struggling to comprehend why girl's reboot toys are so expensive and why they can't be bothered with an affordable line for the kiddies as well as for the adult fans. I would have liked to have gotten some old school Jem dolls and She-Ra toys without having to pay through the nose from Integrity and Matel. Yikes!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
Reboots in general (including mlp - hey, this is unpopular opinions, after all!), and pretty much almost every doll/figurine/animal/food available on toy shelves nowadays. Big eyes, dot eyes, significantly disproportionate heads/bodies, blobs... you name it. The majority of new toys just don't have the charm or whimsicality of the 80's/early 90's. There's so much mass produced crap out there.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
Reboots in general (including mlp - hey, this is unpopular opinions, after all!), and pretty much almost every doll/figurine/animal/food available on toy shelves nowadays. Big eyes, dot eyes, significantly disproportionate heads/bodies, blobs... you name it. The majority of new toys just don't have the charm or whimsicality of the 80's/early 90's. There's so much mass produced crap out there.

:iconclap: :iconclap: :iconclap:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
If we're going on the wave of lack of originality, can I throw repeat/ core characters under the bus as well please? It isn't just a MLP thing but I am not sure how many of the same Disney Princess a girl needs...

On another note, also the lack of originality between countries and the lack of respect for other languages that toy packages and names and stuff seem to go along with these days. In the eighties, MLP was Mein Kleines Pony, or Mon Petit Pony, or Mi Pequeno Pony, or Ma Petite Pouliche...etc. Now it's all just branded MLP no matter who's reading. Even as a native English speaker that annoys me. It was the same for Jem, too - Jem was Truly Outrageous in English speaking countries, but she was Verdaderamente Fantastica in Spain, Fabulosa in Mexico, and so on.

(An exception to that was EAH, they did a good job of remembering not everyone is English speaking. MH did to a degree, but since most of the EAH clearance dolls from every other country ended up in my branch of Smyths, I got more familiar with those ;)

I like that G1 MLP was varied from country to country. While I don't necessarily believe we should have regional exclusive ponies or toys now, I don't see why we can't have more varied packaging designs and art.

I feel like I'm going to cite the Raggy Doll theme again, but anyway.

On another note, the word kawaii should never be used in an English language context, not to describe toys (which are definitively not kawaii, as banditpony pointed out xD) but mostly because pretty much every time I hear someone try to pronounce it, they say kowai...which means scary, and may be closer to true, but not the intention. I actually put off learning Japanese for a whole few years because I didn't want to be associated with the idiots who would say stuff on forums like, "oh, it's so kawaii". The whole thing just gives me the shivers.

I don't have a problem with food being toys. I never have the urge to buy them though...but I think they're preferable to Lol Surprise.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
I hate funko pops. They're creepy and ugly and I don't get why they're so popular.

I value sturdy and affordable over expensive and easily ruined. 

I dislike toys with swappable faces and limbs. They're delicate and seem to fall apart if you so much as sneeze near them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:31:26 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
I hate funko pops. They're creepy and ugly and I don't get why they're so popular.

Tbh Funko Pops are really only popular in the mainstream. I guess you could call it that... a lot of people online really hate Pops. Including me. They're souless and ugly. I hate the square heads. The Vnyl figures Funko makes are pretty cute. But I don't understand the need to make everything so... boxy. The appeal of chibi stuff is that they're fat and squishy! So obviously, you gotta make them sharp and square.

Maybe not a *toy* opinion, but can be applied to toys.

I HATE that unicorns are EVERYWHERE. They were fun at first. But now they're inescapable. They're plastered on every surface. "How do we market this towards millenials? Unicorns? Glitter? Poop emoji? ... Glittery unicorn poop? Got it! Millenials like corgis and pugs right? Cacti? Cats? Starbucks Coffee? Cosmetics? We'll put unicorn horns on them too!! They'll eat it up!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal