collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Toy Opinions  (Read 13655 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Unpopular Toy Opinions
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
My apologies if we already have one.

I'm not a doll and human figure type of person. They have to be really interesting looking or a character I really like. Even as a little girl I felt the same way. I have a few now though.

I love Rainbowbrite, and I understand that yarn hair is a key feature, but I hate it. I wish they'd make a line with regular hair alongside it.

I like weird or wildly colored dinos.

I hate chibified toys.

I'm sick and tired of toytoons/game toys with a traditionally big cast being pared down to a few ad nasuem. Perennial favorites are fine, but variety is appreciated and wanted.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:06:57 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Unpopular Toy Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
I don't like the whole "blob" toy thing that's popular at the moment. I don't like Tsum Tsums, and toys like it. It works fine with animal characters I suppose, but if you're going to try to incorporate human/humanoid characters, you're gonna have awkward results. This looks terrible!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You have endless varieties of the same concept right now, blobs with faces that you stack... yay... what fun...?

These blob toys overlap with the blind box trend that I don't like either.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »
I don't like the whole "blob" toy thing that's popular at the moment. I don't like Tsum Tsums, and toys like it. It works fine with animal characters I suppose, but if you're going to try to incorporate human/humanoid characters, you're gonna have awkward results. This looks terrible!

You have endless varieties of the same concept right now, blobs with faces that you stack... yay... what fun...?

That looks really weird.  :blink: I'm not a fan of it either.

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
I hate blind bags. If I'm buying something, I want to know what I'm getting because I usually end up with a ton of the same item or the one thing I absolutely didn't want. This goes especially for lines like Hairdorables or the larger LOLs, I'm not plunking down that much money for an unknown (personally I think they're too much even if you did know).

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »
I'm not a fan of human Tsum Tsums either.  It's awkward to look at.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »
I can't get into dolls or toys that are people. Sorry, animal toys only for me.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
I actually like blind bag stuff because it allows characters that the store buyers (remember they pushed for Celestia to be pink because they thought a white pony wouldn't appeal to little girls as much as a pink one) wouldn't be willing to take a risk on to exist. That said I need there to be codes or a hack. I hate when they are totally blind.

I was not a fashion doll person until Monster High came along. I liked small dolls like Strawberry Shortcake but until MH came along I felt fashion dolls were boring especially compared to BJDs and Pullips. Even now for a fashion doll to appeal to me it needs to be a little weird.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Elva

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

I laughed out loud when i saw that picture  :lol: I find Tsum Tsums weird aswell, I've seen some cute ones but naah.

Sig by Strawberrysweets, thank you!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
Squishy toys bug me; they may be popular right now but I'm wary because of whatever may be inside them. If it's foam or something, then that's fine, but if it's a kind of glodge like you'd get in a stress ball, then that's just gross.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »
I hate the big head/forehead/eyes thing. Like the Bratz dolls, G2 LPS, and yes G4 MLP! I think it might be finally starting to phase out but like above, seems to have gone the opposite direction :huh:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
I am not a big fan of teddy bears. I love stuffed animals, but bears are so...boring! They'd have to be very particularly cute or unique for me to want it.

Also, this is probably not an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like electronic features in toys. Like, voice boxes, movement, etc. I just like simple toys without tech...I've also got to agree on almost all of the above, too! Not a fan of the blob fad, was not into dolls until Monster High. I was always more interested in animal toys than people.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 05:05:19 PM »
Squishy toys bug me; they may be popular right now but I'm wary because of whatever may be inside them. If it's foam or something, then that's fine, but if it's a kind of glodge like you'd get in a stress ball, then that's just gross.

I do like squishies, but only the foam ones.  They are made of the same foam as specialty pillows but with paint covering them, the air squishes out and it refills slowly.  Many are very soft to the touch.

But I don’t like the oil/water filled ones.  They are yucky.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »
I hate the big head/forehead/eyes thing. Like the Bratz dolls, G2 LPS, and yes G4 MLP! I think it might be finally starting to phase out but like above, seems to have gone the opposite direction :huh:

Same here.

Post Merge: January 31, 2019, 06:51:00 PM

I am not a big fan of teddy bears. I love stuffed animals, but bears are so...boring! They'd have to be very particularly cute or unique for me to want it.

Also, this is probably not an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like electronic features in toys. Like, voice boxes, movement, etc. I just like simple toys without tech...I've also got to agree on almost all of the above, too! Not a fan of the blob fad, was not into dolls until Monster High. I was always more interested in animal toys than people.

I'm not really into teddy bears either.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »

Same here! I'm not big on bears. Or rabbits, to be quite honest...

I agree with most everyone else here that dolls are usually boring. Monster High is fun because they're all very visually different. Ears, skin tones and patterns, fangs, horns... I couldn't be a dedicated Barbie collector, for instance... humans are a little boring. :P

I wasn't a fan of baby dolls as a kid either. And I'm still not! I don't get the appeal of screaming, crying babies or changing diapers. Why do that when you can play with unicorns and dragons?! Or PRETEND you're a unicorn or a dragon?

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 01:50:27 AM »
I agree with all those saying that dolls were boring until Monster High! I had Barbies as a kid, but I used to pretend they were all witches, vampires and werewolves! So imagine my excitement when a toy-line based on those creatures finally appeared  :inlove:.

I was never into baby dolls as a kid either. My grandparents gave me one for Christmas once and the only game I remember playing with it was that it had been abandoned and was being raised by wild animals :lol:.

Blindbags were fun for a while (I liked the pony ones, and also Mini Mixieqs), but I am so over them now and some are just so exorbitantly priced!

I don't really like overly stylised animal toys. I collect the 90s Kitty in my Pocket and I love how they actually look like cats. Things like the modern Kitty in my Pocket or Lost Kitties are too stylised/humanised/available in various weird colours to appeal to me. I don't want a bright pink cat eating a hamburger, I want a cute little tabby playing with a ball of wool!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal