collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How does everyone keep track of collection  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: How does everyone keep track of collection
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
    I really need to catalogue every pony. But the way how I keep track is simple. My sister and I play with the ponies often, so I see everybody quite often. From there, I can remember who I have. It’s probably not a foolproof method, but it works for right now.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »
I just use the MLPMerch site (even though I wish UK ponies were taken out of nirvana because it's so strange to have them sit there), I used to use a google sheet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
I don't actually keep track, I kind of just remember who I have XD
I need to start as my collection is quite big right now, so I'd probably create a little spread sheet for them.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
I used to use spreadsheets, one for each generation, but I fell behind and stopped keeping up with it a couple years ago. :/ I would recommend it though! I have a program on my computer and I would copy it over to a google docs spreadsheet just to have a backup.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 02:34:51 AM »
I don't, I just remember which ponies I have. Although... I recently found a near mint Baby Ember in my box, and I have no idea where she comes from. The last Ember I remember (that rhymes!) had a mohawk and an eyerub, so I guess it's not a very foolproof method. XD

A couple of years ago I made an attempt to create a Wordpad file with all my ponies in it, but I got confused...

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 05:40:42 AM »
I kind of just keep a mental checklist. I felt like I had a solid grasp on who I had and who I didn't for a while, but I've noticed I'm starting to lose track. I'll just do an inventory at some point this year and bring myself back up to speed! I think if I just print off some sort of physical checklist that would work for me. :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
It would really save electricity to make a photo album of my toys... get lazy and just browse at stuff I am too tired to put away again. But having shelves where you can see them also makes it easier to check that no body got forgot after exploring your place. My ponies get restless tend to go roaming pretending to graze on carpet... sometimes they stay out all night and in the morning I need to corral them again!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
I just use the MLPMerch site (even though I wish UK ponies were taken out of nirvana because it's so strange to have them sit there), I used to use a google sheet.

We were told they were going to be. Hopefully eventually they will be. They have made some improvements to the cataloguing (NSS Paradise doesn't seem to be on there any more) so I guess they're working on it. There are still some issues (Truly, Cupcake are listed under movie star ponies rather than their proper sets, and a whole host of Posey problems, not least magenta posey being listed in mainstream under year 3 when the pictured one belongs to Gypsy's set). They have made a real effort to correct stuff we raised in the thread a while back, so credit to them for that. I hope they're going to do more to correct those other errors, as right now it still seems like they're piggybacking the Wiki's bad filing system, but we'll see.

Hopefully in the long run they'll move the UK and European ponies back to mainstream where they belong, but it does say they're still working on it. I guess we just give them time to figure that out. Websites are hard work. :/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:53:41 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
Mostly just remembering who I have in my head. This works alright for regular ponies and most things, really. But sometimes I really struggle to remember what G4 plush I do and do not have since I've thrifted so many over the years and display them in a pile in the corner to where you can't see each individual one, so I'll often forget the ones that are more buried under there.

I do also have a checklist on MLP Merch but I'm not the greatest at updating it, and it doesn't really work for things that they don't have in their database like random merchandise that isn't figures or plush of any kind. I also have a Snupps that I need to do a lot more work on but it's just such a pain to photograph for it when I have to take a bunch of things off the shelf and then put them back on. Never feel like doing it.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:30 AM »
I have a spreadsheet - it's pretty scattered and badly organized, though :blush: But it's worked for me so far.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
Excel spreadsheets with tabs for different categories - US adults, US babies, MO, Euro/UK (with separate sections denoting which is which), playsets, clothing, and G2.  My nirvanas have their own spreadsheet, and I'm working on a merch sheet.  Each entry contains a checklist of accessories for that pony, too, and space for notes on what I have, like what it cost me, what the average price is (or was when I bought it), where I got it, flaws I can see, etc.

When I complete a set of ponies, I highlight that set in green.  Then I start working on accessories for them, if I don't already have them.  I bought a legal sized binder on Amazon and set my margins to allow me to hole punch it.  It's a lot of tiny info! 

EDIT: an excerpt.  I revise my formatting occasionally, probably will include whether I have something or not in the actual accessory checklist cell.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:03:40 AM by Skeen »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
/If/ I had a large collection - I would make a veeery organized and pretty bullet journal-- completely with checkboxes and side notes. I would absolutely looove doing that. :P I wish I had a large collection now.

but I don't, and I'm able to name off all the ponies I have since I'm content with a small collection.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Elva

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
I really need a pony collection bullet journal now that you mentioned it banditpony! Right now I have a Google Docs sheet.

Sig by Strawberrysweets, thank you!

Offline Ossie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Merch
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »

We were told they were going to be. Hopefully eventually they will be. They have made some improvements to the cataloguing (NSS Paradise doesn't seem to be on there any more) so I guess they're working on it. There are still some issues (Truly, Cupcake are listed under movie star ponies rather than their proper sets, and a whole host of Posey problems, not least magenta posey being listed in mainstream under year 3 when the pictured one belongs to Gypsy's set). They have made a real effort to correct stuff we raised in the thread a while back, so credit to them for that. I hope they're going to do more to correct those other errors, as right now it still seems like they're piggybacking the Wiki's bad filing system, but we'll see.

Hopefully in the long run they'll move the UK and European ponies back to mainstream where they belong, but it does say they're still working on it. I guess we just give them time to figure that out. Websites are hard work. :/

We're indeed in the process of merging these together so that UK/EU exclusives and variants are no longer in a separate part of the database. We're making progress, but as this includes some structural changes most of this is not yet visible on the live website.
Actually, we're moving away from a separate nirvana section completely, which makes filtering by pony or color work on all G1s.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:32:34 PM by Ossie »

MLP Merch Blog | MLP Merch Databases

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
I really need a pony collection bullet journal now that you mentioned it banditpony! Right now I have a Google Docs sheet.

please share if you do :D :heart:

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal