collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Peroxide cream on ponies?  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Peroxide cream on ponies?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
At your service :P
Whenever I see a topic like this I show my poor Nightlights behind :/ I hope people will one day stop using the stuff!!

Pictures speak a thousand words and it's a very impactful picture!

If people have started using this kind of stuff again, I'm going to be doing a lot less pony buying. I hate chemical use on ponies, it's almost like selling a used car with an engine that will run just long enough for you to get a fair distance from the dealership before it goes wrong and ends up being a waste of money...

I understand people wanting minty ponies, but at what cost? I'd rather have a few marks than a contagious blotchfest.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
If people have started using this kind of stuff again, I'm going to be doing a lot less pony buying.

I am very inclined to agree. And it's one of the reasons I personally prefer to obtain my ponies where I can in as original condition as possible... at least then I can feel reasonably reassured of the history of the items. I often much prefer to clean up a pony myself, than not know what it's previously been through.

Interestingly, someone sent me an article noting the difference between benzoyl (used in acne cream) and hydrogen peroxide (commonly used in hair dressing and paper bleaching and which seems to be the current 'in' thing for restoration). The key thing being that the hydrogen peroxide is water soluble (meaning it can be washed off) whereas the benzoyl creates a film and cannot (which would explain the long lasting effect and transfer of the cream to other items). This is the (short) article here for those who'd like to read:

https://sciencing.com/difference-hydrogen-peroxide-benzoyl-peroxide-6184362.html?fbclid=IwAR3XBujJB3nZzO-c9PLuXEnEFfU7OqLyEQw_HfAT-Bg3H65WtFHWyHPgL9A

It has satisfied me at least that there is less risk of transfer, so seemingly the safer product. However, I still personally wouldn't use it (on ponies, anyway; I just don't feel good about it) and wouldn't want to purchase items treated with it. But that's my decision. Others such as the keen and enthusiastic restorers I've seen on fb will feel differently and are entitled to do so.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:08:14 PM by Marlin »

Offline TheCraftess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 05:33:33 AM »
Really handy to see this. I was planning to use developing cream after having it recommended numerous times on FB but I’ll hold off to see what happens.

I will use it on my play sets though as the ones I have are practically orange!  :blink:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
Really handy to see this. I was planning to use developing cream after having it recommended numerous times on FB but I’ll hold off to see what happens.

I will use it on my play sets though as the ones I have are practically orange!  :blink:

Just make sure to never make your ponies touch the playsets once you do it....

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »
My Lemondrop baby carriage has some yellowing on the roof but I'm ok with it.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TheCraftess

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 03:17:59 PM »

I think you’re thinking about Benzoyl Peroxide (spot cream) not Hydrogen Peroxide. The former leaves a film which can’t be removed without using another chemical (I can’t remember what) to break it down. It can also be transferred to other objects that come into contact with it and continue to react on them. Hydrogen Peroxide is chemically different. It very quickly breaks down into its component parts which are harmless (H2O2) and it can be removed completely with soapy water. So there’s nothing left to transfer to ponies or cause a continuing chemical reaction.
That being said, hydrogen peroxide hair treatments often have additives such as bleach which could cause unwanted side effects.

(Have been looking into this a lot since reading this thread the first time 😉)

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »

I think you’re thinking about Benzoyl Peroxide (spot cream) not Hydrogen Peroxide. The former leaves a film which can’t be removed without using another chemical (I can’t remember what) to break it down. It can also be transferred to other objects that come into contact with it and continue to react on them. Hydrogen Peroxide is chemically different. It very quickly breaks down into its component parts which are harmless (H2O2) and it can be removed completely with soapy water. So there’s nothing left to transfer to ponies or cause a continuing chemical reaction.
That being said, hydrogen peroxide hair treatments often have additives such as bleach which could cause unwanted side effects.

(Have been looking into this a lot since reading this thread the first time 😉)

So, that DOES mean peroxide cream is not the same as acne cream.

Usually, different molecules with kind of the same components don't obligatory have the same effect. Look at water, H2O, add another oxygen atom and poof, it's hydrogen peroxide, same components, different formula, pretty drastically different properties !

So, the questions are : are there ponies affected/cured by peroxide cream (and not Benzoyl peroxide aka acne cream) and is it effective ? What kind of bleaching cream are people referring to when showcasing pictures of damaged ponies ? What is the composition of Peroxide Cream ? Like, is it the same as a simple peroxide bath ? Because people have combined peroxide bath + sunfading and their ponies are(?) doing fine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:16:30 PM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline TheCraftess

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 01:47:42 AM »
From what I understand peroxide cream (without other additives) is broadly the same as the peroxide used in peroxide baths but have a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
I’ve spoken to quite a few people who have used it on ponies and so far none of them (except the ones on this thread) have reported negative effects beside those you would normally associate with a peroxide bath. Most have said its easier and quicker than a peroxide bath.
I’ve also found people who have been using it on play sets and hard plastic toys such as Star Wars figures for over a decade with no negative effects... these people hadn’t used it on ponies though.

I haven’t used it myself yet because my toddler refuses to let me play with ponies without her help 😂 so I can only repeat what others have told me.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:23 PM »
I know absolutely nothing about the science, but it is well known that different plastics react differently. Acne cream has also been used successfully without harm on some hard plastic toys. But not on MLP.

And the keyword in this is 'yet'. Acne cream etc was used successfully for a long time with no visible damage to the pony. In some cases it took ten years for the true harm to become apparent. There are still treated ponies which are a time bomb, waiting to go off. Knowing that such a risk existed with a related compound, it seems recklessly foolish to risk similar happening here, just for the sake of short term perfection. I took chemistry and I understand the difference between H20 and H202, but we're not talking about the difference between water and Hydrogen peroxide. We're talking about the dangers of bleach of any kind on unstable plastic that is often more than three decades old.

I wouldn't buy a pony I knew had been chemically treated, but people often don't disclose this, and they should. Even if the effects are different, right now nobody can prove that there will not be harm that appears some years down the line.

I think advising people that it's probably ok because a bunch of people haven't had a problem yet is reckless. I'm old enough in pony terms to remember exactly the same kind of endorsements for acne cream, and look where that brought us.

Ponies are old. The plastic is already somewhat unstable. I'd rather have a pony with a few flaws from playtime than one ruined forever by someone's perfectionism.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:32:04 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »
I wouldn't buy a pony I knew had been chemically treated, but people often don't disclose this, and they should.

Ponies are old. The plastic is already somewhat unstable. I'd rather have a pony with a few flaws from playtime than one ruined forever by someone's perfectionism.

Agreed.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 12:11:00 AM »
When you guys are talking about ‘bleach’ I think you’re refereing to to hydrogen peroxide. If you’re using hair cream bleach there’s not much more in it but hydrogen peroxide, an accelerator (bicarb) and oils. There’s no ‘bleach’, that’s just a generic name for used for the product.

I would use hydrogen peroxide on ponies for my personal collection but if I were to sell them I would declare that they had been chemically treated. All evidence so far points to hydrogen peroxide being safe, it was the acne cream that was a problem!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 01:01:38 AM »
When you guys are talking about ‘bleach’ I think you’re refereing to to hydrogen peroxide. If you’re using hair cream bleach there’s not much more in it but hydrogen peroxide, an accelerator (bicarb) and oils. There’s no ‘bleach’, that’s just a generic name for used for the product.

I would use hydrogen peroxide on ponies for my personal collection but if I were to sell them I would declare that they had been chemically treated. All evidence so far points to hydrogen peroxide being safe, it was the acne cream that was a problem!

I think so long as you disclose it, that's fine - its on your own head.

But I will reiterate, people said acne cream was safe, too. Folk who have been here a really long time will remember it being touted as the cureall and miracle cream. And it only transpired that it wasn't a lot later.

I feel like the possibility of a bunch of ponies being destroyed because of lack of proper testing of the effects of this on MLP plastic is too high a price to pay for perfectionism and I stand by that.

And we were talking about H202. Which is Hydrogen Peroxide, right? I passed Chemistry ;) Which is used in bleach. Albeit maybe not all brands, but specifically the discussion was about hydrogen peroxide. Bleach is just a catchall term in this context.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 03:08:15 AM »
Well done for passing Chemistry Taffeta. I did very well at Chemistry A-Level but I have no real credentials to back up this debate - I’m not a scientist. So far all we have to go on is anectodal evidence, and like you say time will tell. It would be interesting to see if there’s been any proper research done into effects of it on plastic. I only mentioned the term bleach as someone said something along the lines of ‘hair products that contain hydrogen peroxide also have other additives, such as bleach’. I was just clarifying that hydrogen peroxide is the ‘bleach’ they were referring to, like you just said. There’s not much else in hair lightening cream but H202.

I remember when acne cream was the done thing - I used it on a few ponies that I still have in my collection and so far they have suffered no ill effects. I won’t be doing it again though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal