collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pet snake passing away :(  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Pony.Backpack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Pet snake passing away :(
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
Please no comments about how you don't like snakes, I loved her just as dearly as I love my dog and cats. I'll "spoiler" so no one has to read if they are afraid of/don't like snakes

Spoiler
I woke up this morning to find that my beautiful girl Eden died last night. We recently moved cross country via car and her and my other snake, Dexter, never fully bounced back. On top of that, I have reason to believe that their thermostat malfunctioned last night. While I was expecting this to happen sooner rather than later due to the move issues, I'm still very upset. I got Eden from a very neglectful home three years ago and pulled her from death's door over the course of two months and got her happy, healthy, and thriving. I feel at peace knowing that she had a much better second half of life than her first but she had so much life ahead of her... I'm worried that my other snake will pass in the next few days as well due to the same complications and that thought is very upsetting. I've raised Dex from a hatchling and up until the move he was in perfect health. I keep kicking myself because I considered rehoming them in my home state for fear of this exact issue but couldn't find it within myself to entrust them to a stranger so I was selfish and took them with me. In perfect conditions, they could live for up to 21 years and Dex is only 4 and Eden was only 6. I've had snake friends tell me that I did everything right and that moving them that far is always a gamble but I feel horrible because this gamble ended up with one death already and will most likely claim another. I'm sorry to dump all of my emotions here but none of my friends are really there for me right now with this and I guess I just needed to get it out. I have an event that I have to go to tonight but I'm kind of a wreck and don't know how that's going to go

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet snake passing away :(
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
     Oh the poor thing! It’s always a pain when an animal companion passed away. I don’t know much about snake care, but if your fellow sneeple (snake people) say you did all that you could, then you did. Considering how difficult it is to pull anything from deaths doorstep, I’d say you’ve already defied the odds.
     It is a gamble. Edens passing was just a toss of the cosmic coin. And I’m fairly sure you don’t have the ability to control the coin. You controlled what you could, and that’s the most important part.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Strawberrysweets

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Like a strawberry, I'm sweet but I can be sour too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
I am sorry for your loss and I do hope Dex makes it.

I too have lost a pet, my rabbit Tommelise(Thumbelina) was put to rest yesterday due to illness that I should have checked for last time we went to the vet, but what can you do? There is no redo button, we just have to learn from our mistakes.
She was with me for 9 years and that I cant complain about as she was my oldest female ever which means I have learnt from past mistakes which might have shorten my past rabbits lifes.
It gets empty after their passing, time passes a bit diffrent, alot of thoughts but you have to find a new routines for the days ahead.
I spent most of my day today with my remaining rabbit Kai, cleaned out Tommes cage for him to move into, cleaned the outdoor area etc. It was actually what I needed, gave me something to do, did not neglect those left behind and remembering all the good times.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Icon by Minty_Magic

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
Am so sorry for the loss of your pets. Pony.Backpack you did a good thing adopting a snake and nursing her back to health, it's understandable that you'd have considered how hard it is to find a wise and caring snake home before your move, it likely would have been a risk either way. I have had an aquarium heater fail on me before, tropical pets are just not easy in temperate zones and humans can only do so much. I hope you and Strawberrysweets will remember all the love that you gave to your animal friends. Exotic pet people do not have it as easy as dog and cat people but by the same argument your experience would make you better carers for these creatures when you are ready to move on. They were lucky to have those loving homes. I hope Dex pulls through... I don't know much of anything about snakes but I hope this is not the end... I think they get lethargic from cold but maybe also is depressed about snake sister passing and not as active? I hope. ehugs.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
*hugs*  it's hard but sometimes nature just... happens.  thank you for giving her lots of love and warmth!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that, sending you hugs! :hug:

Just think, you gave her the best life possible, you saved her from Deaths door, nursed her back to health and gave her as much love as you could. Don't ever blame yourself for the loss, it isn't your fault you can't help moving nor did you know the thermostat would malfunction- so please don't ever think it was your fault, you've raised your pets well and did all you could to make them happy :hug:
I know what it's like to kick yourself for an animals passing, I blamed myself day and night for the loss of my rabbit, Domino, he had possible health issues that we couldn't determine and I felt awful because I didn't know he had something wrong with him.

Just remember all the fun you had with Eden,
(that's a beautiful name by the way :) ) It might sound a bit silly but even talk to Dexter about how you feel, just let it out, or talk to him about your memories with him and Eden. Just don't kick yourself about it, you gave Eden a loving home, you cared for her and rescued her from a horrible place, you did all you could and I bet Eden is so thankful that she had a loving owner like you :hug:

@Strawberrysweets - I'm sorry to hear your rabbit passed :hug: It's awful to lose a pet :(

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
I am so sorry about your lose! Animals are family members! :) Enjoy your others! :) HUGS!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
So sorry for your loss.  She's sounds like a wonderful pet.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
Pony hugs for you, poor snake, at least you gave her a better life.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 03:22:29 AM »
I'm so sorry about Eden. :( Snakes can be some pretty cute and sweet pets. They deserve just as much love as dogs or cats and it sounds like she was very lucky to have you. <3

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
Sorry for your loss. I have chickens, which can be considered unusual pets, but whenever one passes away it is never easy. Mine are rescue hens which can be prone to health problems, so they often don't have the longevity of heritage breeds for example.

Regardless of what the animal is, you can get so attached. It sounds like the time you had with Eden was very special, as was rescuing her from the life she'd had previously, so carry that good thought with you. I hope everything works out ok with Dex  :hug:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:23 AM »
 :cloud:  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  :cry:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline CindyPony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • ponyponypony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:45:49 PM »
Oh i am so sorry to hear of the loss of your special loved one.

How is Dexter doing now?  If there are nighttime temperature control problems you can sometimes incubate a pet by placing it in an appropriate safe container with ventilation etc like a critter keeper and taking it to bed with you. 

I hope you and Dexter are ok.
Make an extra, extra special wish!     oooo wow ponymotes :work:

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 07:57:08 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss and that drives me nuts when people are all 'oh its just a snake' no its not,a pet is a pet is a pet doesn't matter if its horse frog dog cat snake bird or fish and to loose one is always going to be a sad experience.

remember the good times with her and the fact that she knew a good time while in your care.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal