collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro ever officially used the term G3.5?  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Has Hasbro ever officially used the term G3.5?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 09:50:27 AM »
  -_- I think you guys are really out of your depth and unaware of your context on that part of the conversation ever since one of you had brought up the concept of species segregation and then started through some of them. But we are not allowed to talk about non-trivial things out of WYP so I can't explain why I fear this concept is problematic here. I've read that concept before in a context for FIM I don't think you are getting (first thought maybe you were trying to be helpful and had read all that but were like really counterproductive not getting), nor are you understanding how transforming humans in the core 5 probably made that criticism seem even more valid and may have made the show worse.
Good luck but I'm getting out of this draining discussion that I can't even have with you. Exhausting and stressful enough for me when I wouldn't have to introduce the context to folk who've not heard much about.
Hope you'll all have nice days.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
No, Hasbro has never used G3, G3.5, or any of the Gx names for MLP, they are only used by fans.  :)

The G1 / G2 etc terms were cribbed from the Transformers fandom.  In the early 90s Hasbro had a line of toys labeled "Transformers: Generation 2".  The idea being to convince Radical 90s Kids that these Transformers were somehow better than previous Transformers, because they were new.  (Even though all the Generation 2 Transformers were literally the same TF molds as before, just with gaudier colors and cheaper plastic.)

Anyway, since Hasbro called those toys "Generation 2", Transformers fans then retroactively called the earlier Transformers "Generation 1".

So anyway, in 1997 Hasbro made a new generation of ponies.  Pony collectors called them "the new ponies" or "the '97 ponies" (because they were first sold in 1997) while G1 ponies were called "the old ponies" or "80s ponies."

Then in 2003 a new set of ponies came along.  Everyone debated what to call them because if G2 ponies were "the new ponies" then what were these new ponies . . . "the new-new ponies"?  Confusing!  So pony fans started using G1 / G2 / G3. :)

That is really interesting- I had no idea!  I guess MLP and Transformers have always been closer than some of us thought!

Also interesting to hear how resistant collectors were to call the big-head ponies G4  (kinda similar to now where they've changed the toy mold but not the cartoon)

I find that leak image of the smaller ponies running at the large nightmare moon kinda looking pony- very interesting! I think I would like that series already based on that art, lol

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
Loreofyore - I'm sorry but I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about, are you still talking to me? I feel like some wires have been crossed here or something?  :what:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 11:49:33 AM »
Code: [Select]
i
  -_- I think you guys are really out of your depth and unaware of your context on that part of the conversation ever since one of you had brought up the concept of species segregation and then started through some of them. But we are not allowed to talk about non-trivial things out of WYP so I can't explain why I fear this concept is problematic here. I've read that concept before in a context for FIM I don't think you are getting (first thought maybe you were trying to be helpful and had read all that but were like really counterproductive not getting), nor are you understanding how transforming humans in the core 5 probably made that criticism seem even more valid and may have made the show worse.
Good luck but I'm getting out of this draining discussion that I can't even have with you. Exhausting and stressful enough for me when I wouldn't have to introduce the context to folk who've not heard much about.
Hope you'll all have nice days.

Huh? :what: Did you accidentally post this in the wrong thread?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
  -_- I think you guys are really out of your depth and unaware of your context on that part of the conversation ever since one of you had brought up the concept of species segregation and then started through some of them.

Ok, so I went back and re-read your posts.

I am not oblivious to the implications in your last one. I'm also not going to discuss them, not because it's against the rules to do so, but because it's utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

Generations are defined by production context and continuity. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with species, biology, evolution, or the size of the pony's nose. That sounds like a brony hype theory to me - those have no place here.

Generations were defined by this community in the way others have already described. EQG, by being in the same production cycle as G4, and the same continuity in the fiction of G4, albeit a parallel world situation, is G4. Just as Hoppy the Kangaroo is G1, even though there's nothing equine about a kangaroo.

I suggest you take a breath. Either you've totally misunderstood the discussion, or you're trying to take it somewhere it just isn't going to go...because we're talking about pastel ponies. I admit I hope it's the former, as I really dislike being wilfully misunderstood.

For the record, I study representation of horses in premodern Japan. The horses I deal with in my research can be countries, cities, they can start wars and determine deaths, they can eat people, be dragons, come from the sea, command fire, even be the avatar of a god/dess. They can turn thieves into warriors, symbolise young men off to war, and even define the paths of princes. In that context, I don't have problems with cartoon ponies going through a mirror and ending up in a weird parallel high school world.

Let's face it, we're talking about something designed to amuse an eight year old. Let's not get carried away.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
*Shakes finger* Ah tut tut Taf. I disagree about the nose. For the nose knows, not what it thinks it knows. Which then begs the philosophical question, Can a nose by any other name smell as sweet?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
*Shakes finger* Ah tut tut Taf. I disagree about the nose. For the nose knows, not what it thinks it knows. Which then begs the philosophical question, Can a nose by any other name smell as sweet?

*throws fakies*

Who nose :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
:P

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 05:04:23 PM »
For the record, I study representation of horses in premodern Japan. The horses I deal with in my research can be countries, cities, they can start wars and determine deaths, they can eat people, be dragons, come from the sea, command fire, even be the avatar of a god/dess. They can turn thieves into warriors, symbolise young men off to war, and even define the paths of princes.

Oooh. I hope G6 incorporates every single one of those things. We totally need human eating ponies. o___o
Take note hasbro, take note...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
I’m late to the discussion but I just wanted to say that my one problem with using the .5 classification is not knowing what is coming next.  If we call the upcoming redesign 4.5 because it doesn’t fit the criteria of earlier generations then what happens if the redesign after that also doesn’t fit those same criteria?  4.55?  4.75? 4.6?  Why not start with 4.1 or 4.2 and go from there.  At least then there would be 10 designations to deal with within the same generation.

In the end it might be best to call the newest redesign “the new ponies” until they are no longer new and then classify them with the knowledge of both what came before and what is coming after.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »
In the end it might be best to call the newest redesign “the new ponies” until they are no longer new and then classify them with the knowledge of both what came before and what is coming after.

I mean, I'm fairly sure that's what happened with G3.5...

Ok my memory is a bit hazy, but I'm fairly sure people were calling them "new look" (or a similar term) for awhile.

Until then Some suggested G3.5... Some G4... Some... frank? (Or some man's name? I think??)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 02:03:12 AM »

I mean, I'm fairly sure that's what happened with G3.5...

Ok my memory is a bit hazy, but I'm fairly sure people were calling them "new look" (or a similar term) for awhile.

Until then Some suggested G3.5... Some G4... Some... frank? (Or some man's name? I think??)

Let's follow on that pattern and call the next iteration Bob. Or Fred. They're good names ;)

And it would give a different dynamic to the Megan & Sundance relationship, wouldn't it, if Sundance was prone to human-nibbling...

To go back on topic, I agree with Sunset about the classification. In a sense, the .5 thing is difficult to ascribe without stuff being around to compare. I think it did take a while for G3.5 to be defined, and people are still split on the movie look G4 ponies, with some people using 4.5 and some not. I guess we'll figure it out. I think it's a bigger problem because we're consciously trying to classify them now, whereas in the past we didn't really do that to this extent...

Too many iterations of MLP...

Incidentally, the retros I would class as G1, albeit reproductions. Even though they're new...because they're not new. If that makes sense. They don't need to be G1.5 or anything like that, because they're really no more distinct from the original releases as Italian versions of said ponies might be considered.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:06:48 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 07:40:27 AM »
Yeah it's interesting how the repro stuff never really gets brought up for stuff like this (not only the current ones, but other stuff like the 25th ann. repros, Dollymixes, etc).. I just consider them "G1 Retro".

I also think it's better to wait and see rather than trying to pick a generation name !right now!. G3.5 wasn't named right away (I remember them being called "New Look" ponies too) and it took a decade or two for G1 to be dubbed "G1" ;) I don't think there's any rush to name them.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
For the record, I study representation of horses in premodern Japan. The horses I deal with in my research can be countries, cities, they can start wars and determine deaths, they can eat people, be dragons, come from the sea, command fire, even be the avatar of a god/dess. They can turn thieves into warriors, symbolise young men off to war, and even define the paths of princes.

Oooh. I hope G6 incorporates every single one of those things. We totally need human eating ponies. o___o
Take note hasbro, take note...

My Little Cannibal.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal