collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did You Appreciate Your Toys?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Did You Appreciate Your Toys?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
I would say that I appreciated my ponies.   But by being my favorites, they still got a lot more wear than all my other toys.   :) And I did play with them with friends and siblings who were not always as gentle as I would have liked.

I didn't have many other toys of my own.  Most toys were up for grabs by anyone interested in playing with them in our household.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
I tried very hard to keep my toys in good condition. I treasured all of them, and a replacement would never have been “the same”, to me. I never even DREAMED of scribbling on them, chewing, cutting, or otherwise vandalizing them. I honestly can’t understand kids who do those kinds of things—I couldn’t understand them then, and I still can’t now. I didn’t take my toys to school, etc., or even share them with other kids most of the time... because I knew that those kids weren’t careful, like I was.

But at the same time, I was a little kid. I did kid things. I took toys outside, I played with them in the snow, I brushed their hair too hard... I tried SO hard to keep everything nice, but there were plenty of times when I simply didn’t know any better.

Example of my childhood logic: Snow = frozen water. Water = what we use to clean things. My thinking as a little kid was that snow, therefore, was a perfectly safe environment to take my toys out into. I didn’t realize that the moisture would make plush matted, or that getting waterlogged wasn’t safe for things like dolls and ponies. I thought that as long as I kept my electronics and small, easy-to-lose-in-a-drift-of-snow toys inside, everything was good. So naturally, my toys developed wear and tear through the course of my being a child (and not a collector, well-versed in the art of preservation).

Basically, there are two types of kids: those who appreciate and respect their belongings, and those that don’t and deliberately vandalize and destroy them (think of Toy Story’s Andy, juxtaposed with Sid, lol). Teach your own kid/s that stuff isn’t free, and that they need to appreciate what they have. But remember that even kids who really, honestly do their best to take care of their belongings will still end up causing general wear and tear. Hence the term: “well-loved condition”. :) I think sharing your collection with your kids is a wonderful idea (some of my happiest memories are of my mother letting me play with her own childhood toys), but just be sure that you are okay with the inevitable wear this will put on said toys. If there are special items that you want to keep “minty”, I would put those off limits, and maybe try to buy your child a cheaper alternative of their own (i.e., modern Sylvanian cat family, instead of a vintage set).

As for the kids who aren’t yours... Well, just try to keep the “Sids” of the world away from your collection, until they can learn to respect others’ property. >_<;
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:41:02 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
I always took good care of my toys. I remember being devastated when someone was over at my house and broke the leg off my Ariel doll and to make matters worse her parents didn’t offer to buy a replacement. I played with all but one of my MLP sea ponies in the bathtub and as a result the only one that didn’t have to be thrown away due to mold is the one I wasn't allowed to play with in the tub. The wings broke off of flutter Yum Yum even though I was very gentle.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »
In my own way, yes. I did things like give my stuffed animals hair trims and I wrote with marker on the bottoms of some of my toys, but it was all for very good reasons. I never intentionally ruined my stuff. I was rough with my dinosaurs and accidentally broke some of them, but it was not on purpose. Even after they were broken I'd still play with them. I hated when my mom wanted to throw toys away so I would always try to fix anything I damaged.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
Thank you all for the replies, I read them all, and I really appreciate each and every one of them! :D

And they do make me feel better. :P I'm so glad to hear that most of you took really good care of your toys, and that they were special to you. That does give me hope! Of course our children (God willing) will be free to choose what toys they want to play with, if it's not what we would have chosen, then so be it! But I would be delighted if they would love Sylvanians (for example) as much as we do. ^.^

Some of you wrote that your families didn't have much money, and that makes me feel even guiltier for the way I treated my stuff. Because we didn't have much either, so my parents must have cringed a lot at my actions. :crazy:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »
Don't feel guilty!  For a lot of kids, that's how they learn about the consequences that actions have.  "Oh, I cut my doll's hair impulsively . . . now it's short forever and I'm sad."  It's a lot better to learn with something like a toy instead of "Oh, I didn't wear my bicycle helmet . . . now I have a concussion." :P

Also, if your parents weren't buying replacements for toys you roughed up, then you really weren't costing them any extra money. ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
Short answer: yes.

My mother only had a handful of toys growing up. In particular two dolls. The lessons from those was something pressed upon myself and my brother as we had some toys but they were typically not the "new" or "current" but the clearance or second hand. We did not have a lot of money growing up but we had what my parents could.

I would also say that a good lesson was when I accidentally broke my first Barbie and my mom threw her out. It was the 1983 Great Shape Barbie (for a quick reference, it is the one used in the Toy Story films). I think I was 4 or so. My cousin (2 years older than me) had showed me how her head could move and I pushed too hard I guess and broke her head. My mom got tired of it falling off and she threw her out clothes and all. So when I got my next Barbie (1985 Dream Glow) I was a lot more careful (also when playing with my other dolls like Strawberry Shortcake etc).

Another thing that happened when I was a kid was one time (I think I was 8) my mother removed all my dolls and my Barbie Townhouse (and by removed I mean took the dollhouse apart and hid.) I honestly can't remember the why, but I remember they were gone and they had to be earned back. (For some reason I think it had to do with the continual messiness in my room or something I honestly can't recall.)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 08:46:56 AM »
Don't feel guilty!  For a lot of kids, that's how they learn about the consequences that actions have.  "Oh, I cut my doll's hair impulsively . . . now it's short forever and I'm sad."  It's a lot better to learn with something like a toy instead of "Oh, I didn't wear my bicycle helmet . . . now I have a concussion." :P

Also, if your parents weren't buying replacements for toys you roughed up, then you really weren't costing them any extra money. ;)

Haha, thanks! I guess you're right. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
I tried to be careful with my toys, never cut any hair or marked them up. But they were well-loved and cherished. My Star Wars toys, in particular, saw a lot of my backyard and the neighbor's sandbox. A few got lost, sorry guys.

Didn't have a lot of money growing up so toys typically only showed up for birthdays or Christmas so I took care of them. That said I was willing to share and clearly remember one kid breaking the wing off one of my dragons. That was that and I wan didn't want to share anymore but I was at school (kindergarten). The teacher saw what happened and said I was being rude for not sharing. Or keeping to share....that's how I rolled. If you broke my things on purpose I had the agency to say "am not sharing any more".

Teach kids age-appropriate ways to value their belongings, actions have consequences and teach them to respect other peoples belongings.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »
I was really gentle and careful with my toys when playing with them, but I was horrible about putting them away. 99% of the damage they sustained was because I didn't put them away properly and they got stepped on, scraped against something, or caught on something. Oh and then there were the ones I forgot outside/lost and found after the snow melted. But yeah I didn't like to share because I thought other kids would break or steal my stuff (which was honestly true with my step sister) but a lot of it also got lost or broken because I didn't put things away.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 02:55:38 AM »
I did look after most of my toys I say most as I had baby dolls when I was little but I put the clothes they came with on my teddies/ponies (if they were fitable) instead and the dolls soon went to the charity shop, my barbies I kept for a little longer as my mum liked them to, and I had my first pony when I was 4 and they endured as did the sindy/marx horses  and if I have kid(s) they will be getting their own toys and will not be touching my preciouses  !!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
Eh...totally depends on how much I liked the toy. If I had scissors and a cheap plush from McDonalds, I found joy in cutting them up (horrible! I know!). My LPS though? They were taken care of fairly well. We did shout "Earthquake!" and shake their houses in the middle of playing with them, but the damage they sustained wasn't due to me, they were due to my younger sisters.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »
To my knowledge, I kept all of my childhood toys in the vest condition I knew how to. Faded G1 glitter symbols and removed plush tags are the worst I got. Heck, I thought clothing was permanently attached to dolls for the longest time.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
Took pretty good care of my toys. Spoiled, only child here, nobody else around to play with, or to destroy them for me. I wore Teddy Ruxpin out well into my early early teens. Yes, I am a weirdo, but that bear was the only thing that would put me to sleep at times. He still plays, but his mouth no longer moves.
I also had a very unhealthy attachment to a stuffed dog (that I have openly admitted here more than once) that went everywhere with me until I was 10... The only other toy that I actually wore out with so much attachment. Needless to say I still scour thrifts to find a replacement. In all seriousness, 1981 America Wego black terrier; never found one on ebay and I've been searching regularly for almost 20 years.
This one is a knock off that my BFF found one time; it's not the same, but it does the trick for now.

Scarring moment... when my parents got rid of my care bears toy box and everything in it except 2 cheer bears, 10 ponies and all my barbies, I think I was 12 when this happened...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal