collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Safe to Sun Fade?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Safe to Sun Fade?
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »
This spring I plan on sun fading a few of my ponies that desperately need it. Some are yellowed, and others have stains. Many of these ponies are white, and seeing that some ponies are known to "burn" in the sun makes me worried.

The ponies I'm working on are :

G1 Baby Starbow
G1 Paradise (deflocked, has major brown spots)
G1 Baby Soft Steps
G3 Blossomforth
G3 Strawberry Swirl
G3 Seaspray

I plan on using hair cream with hydrogen peroxide instead of soaking them or just leaving them out in the sun as they are. Will that have any affect on them? And of course I'll be covering up hair and all painted areas.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: Safe to Sun Fade?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:19:19 AM »
I'd be careful with creams, they have a tendency to leave residue, continuing to bleach the pony. That might not be a huge issue with white ponies, come to think of it - unless they yellow from it.
I'm pretty sure g3s are generally safe to sunfade :) Hope someone can give some input on your g1s, I've never attempted to sunfade either of them (esp. not in combination with hydrogen peroxide, I tend to just plop the pony in a sunny window until I forget about it, haha), but somewhere in the back of my mind there's something saying to be careful with Paradise.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:12 AM »
I remember reading something about white G3 ponies not being able to be sunfaded. And if hair cream is anything like acne cream, I say stay far away from it.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:49:46 AM »
never use any kind of bleaching cream!!!!!  there is no way to chemically "STOP" the process (like in photography) and your pony will just get terrible spots and can contaminate your other ponies. 

none of those are g1 ponies that have problems sunfading - just wrap them like potatoes in foil and check on them regularly.  but the white G3s are resistant and can turn yellow

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
Creams are not recommended. Baby Starbow may burn. Paradise probably has cancer which is incurable. Pictures help....

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
I think I read once there's a specific kind of white plastic that sunburns more than others, but it's hard to tell the difference until the pony is already tanned...Make sure you check in on them often. And I'd skip the cream, too.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
The US Starbow with the blue hair streak has a weird kind of almost translucent plastic which doesn't seem like it would do well with sun fading.

I have only ever sunfaded once, with a G3 Bow Tie that I rescued at a carboot sale. It was an experiment as where I used to live in London had huge windows and sun half the day which was perfect for preventing burning. She sunfaded very well without any damage so I would say G3 ponies can be sunfaded but it might be better to err on the side of caution ie not just leaving them there for ages without checking.

I wouldn't advise ever using chemicals of any kind on a pony. Even ones people say are safe, because we thought acne cream etc was safe and the damage took several years to show.

I am also personally unsure how much damage sunfading does to the plastic in the longterm sense as heat is one of the things thought to speed up plasticiser breakdown. But that's a decision for you to make...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I'll definitely avoid using chemicals on my ponies, then.

I'll be cautious with my G3 girls as well. I'm pretty impatient so I'd be checking on them multiple times a day  :lol:

My Baby Starbow is the US version. Is there any other way I can try whitening her up again? She's not too badly yellowed but just enough that I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I'll definitely avoid using chemicals on my ponies, then.

I'll be cautious with my G3 girls as well. I'm pretty impatient so I'd be checking on them multiple times a day  :lol:

My Baby Starbow is the US version. Is there any other way I can try whitening her up again? She's not too badly yellowed but just enough that I'm getting pretty frustrated.
For baby starbow you could try a h202 soak as that may lighten her up, but you'd want to take her apart to do this so that she can thoroughly dry. h202 also has a tendency to dry out hair... conditioner is a must!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal