collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collecting Everything Twice? Opinions / Questions? (Basic Fun)  (Read 8206 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Collecting Everything Twice? Opinions / Questions? (Basic Fun)
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:07:53 PM »
With the newest Basic Fun announcements...I'm in a quandary...
What do you think of collecting everything twice?

Because that's what it's shaping up to be for me.  How are you doing it? Where are you putting them all? MIB or opening? There's lots of dilemmas, so I'm looking for opinions and am just plain curious to see what everyone else is up to. (Variant lovers or variant haters alike)

For Starters: I am a variant lover.
 I've gotten more-so over time, where 'keep both' looks REALLY appealing. Basic Fun is still going really strong, now skipping ahead into the year 3's Second-Set Rainbows. This is WAY exciting for me, and probably everyone else too because those were notorious for loads of nasty unfixable flaws like centerpoint/cancer and regrind hot spots and like gross discoloring & glitter rust that no one can fix. I would completely expect these to be super popular with everyone who already has them, just for the sake of getting them cheaply enough in good shape and made of plastic that you know doesn't have regrind.

But what about Bowtie & AJ?
These are really faithful it looks like from the photos...but...what if yours are already in good condition? Do you buy again anyway? Keep yours loose and the BF BD MIB? (They may pick Heartthrob and Surprise or something next...neither of whom are rare nor problematic...so, the issue is likely to continue) If yours aren't terrible, is there less motive to get these? (Like, the super-duper-crisp white on Glory/Moondancer was too tempting for everything)

I did buy the CP again because they were the most faithful of repros of those, so I kept them on as 'variants' but that means I have the originals, the old 2000s ones and now these so that's 3 of each CP character. Then I bought the rainbows again.....but the French box ones with the heart shape of smell holes, Sunlight has different glitter/dense symbol and that Parasol French box actually smells good instead of....wiiieeeerd? like the normal one so I got those 2 as well cause I can't stand regular Parasol smell.

But now....SCENTLESS Rainbows???
 So those 6 AGAIN but without the smell. Because why? Do they suspect that the perfume in the plastic is going to discolor them and make them gross in 1 year? Were people complaining? People have already found head/body different ones of these. I even had to return a Moonstone. Do you buy all six of them again, and then just keep your scented? Were will you put everything? Like--I'm fast running out of space on shelves even though I added a new one. Are you going to ditch your scented for fear of conditions developing later and replace them with the scent-free ones for sake of stability?

I mean, we all know that buying BD repros & popularizing them as much as possible is the best thing to do because we could see those ultra-rare adult expensive seaponies get made, or 10 dollar Mimic or (of course) the Celestials because we begged for those and if they do well with these 'normal ponies' it could branch out into G1 actually coming back for real with all new sets of characters.

How do you feel about collecting like....all of G1 again? I mean best case scenario they make literally everything eventually.

Because it looks like that's what's happening to me since BD BF keeps on going. I can't resist new G1s in stores, it's just so surreal and exciting to me STILL.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting Everything Twice? Opinions / Questions? (Basic Fun)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:19:50 AM »
I got Minty cuz I only had a hard 2008  Minty, and Starshine because scented white pony in a favorite pose even though I have all the rainbows. I only intend to get ponies I already want that are worth more than $10 if vintage, like Confetti.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:58:45 AM »
For me it's about two things. Nostalgia and, I hope, final fulfilment of a gap in my childhood ;)

I have three collector ponies. I like all of them better than the originals.

I have three Rainbow ponies. One was my childhood first pony so I have her twice. The others are Moonstone, who was a gift from my sister and Parasol, who was my curiosity when the line first came out. I don't feel the need to have full sets of either of these.

No other wave is in the UK yet. BUT if wave 3 and wave 4 come to the UK, they will close a gap that Hasbro left in the eighties. Not so much AJ's set, I'm not fussed about them really - but the uni/peg set and the y3 rainbows were in our comics but never sold here. So they will actually be on sale in the UK for the first time ever if they get over here (Brexit chaos permitting, I am quite worried about that).

That makes them new enough for me. I have all of the ponies BF are releasing in their original releases, and also some variants, some even MOC. But although I have a couple of the y3 rainbows on US card, I don't feel I ever had them from new. I never got to go into stores to buy these sets...

So the chance to do that and have them from new and be their original owner...would be really nice for me.

I will therefore probably want to get all of those.

With the y3 rainbow set, I also have a project of getting versions of all of them in different kinds of packaging. So I have confetti and starflower on US card, Spanish Pinwheel on the first Spanish card, Spanish/NC Trickles on the second spanish card...and I have German Flutterbye (Hummelchen). I'm missing Tickle - so she would be my priority for one to keep MIB. But otherwise I really want to get them to play with them from new in the store for the first time ever...

To fill that gap I had as a kid, when I used to read about them, but never got to own them.

If they go on to produce other US sets, like the SS ponies, I dunno...SS ponies I probably would buy because they would be mint - but the reason I am so captivated by some of these early ponies is that chance to get a pony the UK never had with wave 3 and 4 (and I hope with Surprise's set as well). And while I'd like the nostalgia of getting CJ at some point in the future as another early childhood pony...I am less worried about US ponies not in UK stories or ponies being released with US names.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »
I intend to get Sunbeam because shes my favorite/ponysona inspiration. Though Ive yet to find her in stores.

Im definitely struggling to resist buying everything again! But I will not. Both for real space reasons, and also because I do feel guilty about hoarding new plastic. At least preowned, previously produced plastic, Im like, theoretically keeping it out of a landfill. Vs supporting more plastic being produced. NO judgement upon others (my wife buys all the new G4) its just something I feel personally guilty about.

The temptation is REAL though!!! If they literally produce everything G1, Im sure there are ponies that I'll acquire. Ones that are worth more than 9.99 but I personally wouldnt pay what their vintage counterpart is worth. We'll just have to wait and see. But like you said, rare adult sea ponies, ect. Things like that will definitely make their way into my collection if their authentic counterpart is too out of my price range.
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:55:45 AM »
I mean. :) Lots of people have dupes and armies...

But for me personally.

I will get a duplicate if there's a reason to. I will not replace a pony if that pony was a gift. I would consider upgrades replacing old with new.

I have a Moonstone that has the slightest mismatch. I'm not replacing her-- she's for my kid as a toy so it's not a big deal.

That said. I feel like toys aren't made to last, so I assume these things will break down within 15 years. I'm fine with that. And anything I get will be played with by my kiddo.

If this would of rolled out 10 years ago I would of bought every one without hesitation. (except the first six because bleh). But now I only focus on my favorites. So if they get to later years I'll buy them, but it's probably not likely. I am hoping we get at least get some minty so softs *__* (I promise I won't take them into the pool this time!!)

And just a side note. I wonder how many people would jump on mimic, munchy or Goldilocks. 😀

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:04:15 AM »
I try not to collect more then one, though it has happened. If you are running out of space, perhaps buy one as an upgrade and put the older, damaged ones back out on the market unless they hold sentimental value. Such as from a family member, friend, or a super lucky find.

That's my personal advice, but do what you feel is best.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:19:05 AM »
If this would of rolled out 10 years ago I would of bought every one without hesitation. (except the first six because bleh). But now I only focus on my favorites. So if they get to later years I'll buy them, but it's probably not likely. I am hoping we get at least get some minty so softs *__* (I promise I won't take them into the pool this time!!)

And just a side note. I wonder how many people would jump on mimic, munchy or Goldilocks. 😀

Did you get the rainbows 10 years ago or were they too low quality/hard to find? I got the CP back then and currently have that Minty in my new Minty box. Tempted to do that with Starshine as well.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:04 AM »

Did you get the rainbows 10 years ago or were they too low quality/hard to find? I got the CP back then and currently have that Minty in my new Minty box. Tempted to do that with Starshine as well.

The 25th anniversary are what got me into collecting as an adult (I wanted to like g3s but they felt like a knock off to me). That said my mom found the set with Minty at a store that sells old/unwanted stock. So I didn't see any others normal shelves.

The quality of those didn't bother me. ^^; I just was stoked for ponies! And I had the money to burn and less obligations at that time.. heh.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
I bought Windy, Sunlight and Moonstone, although I only opened the Sunlight box (the pony has some factory stain) but I put it back in its box. This reissue I really like because the quality is quite good , the problem is that due to the lack of space ... I do not know where to put them! But in any case I will continue buying and keeping them in their original box, and they are not excessively expensive.Alghuien told me that we should buy three reissue ponies: One to open, another to save and another to resell later. I like to have them in box, since in its day (when I was small) it was not possible.
How am I feeling? But a little sad because I know that, obviously, the sets of ponies are not going to come out. I have to buy them in amazon because they do not arrive in Spain. I would like some set of babies and pony brothers to come out .

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:33:30 AM »
My kid is super excited about them, she keeps asking for her own...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
The 25th anniversary releases barely appeared here, I certainly never saw them, so this is the first retro release for me. Maybe that makes a difference...first time I've seen G1 in stores since 1990s. And I was too young to see cps or rainbows in store and remember it anyway...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm on the bandwagon, but haven't hit the point of full on wanting every released pony. I absolutely had to have: Blue Belle and Starshine. Snagged Starshine last weekend at Target, I think she smells like coffee...
Hubby was at Target a few days after x-mas and snagged me two, the rest a lady grabbed as the person was stocking the shelf. I also have Parasol (poot poot, I'm such a spoiled brat I will vent here in saying she really is my least favorite G1) and Skydancer. At this point I could take or leave the rest, do I really need the same ponies over and over again? I wish they'd just do complete sets boxed together, then I might raise an eyebrow and fork out some dinero...
Will they stay in the box, absolutely yes. All the 25th anniversary sets are sealed. Will I order online for any, nope, I like the thrill of the hunt!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:45:56 AM »
My kid is super excited about them, she keeps asking for her own...

Always awesome to see that kids like these too. Who is she after?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:57:11 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
-nod- I'm on the fence too. I think it's awesome that these exist, but.. do I really need repros of ponies I already have..? I can't decide. XD I told myself I'd probably only get Cotton Candy, and then when the collector ponies finally showed up near me.. oh I caved. XP and bought 'em all.

Not sure what I'll be doing with the others. I guess it depends on if they all get released over here or not, for one.. I dunno. On the one hand I'm like "I don't need another Applejack!", on the other hand, I know I'll probably feel differently when I see her on the shelves. :P So I don't know how I feel about this subject, my thoughts on it change every other minute ^^;

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
I bought every wave that has come out in 2018. I think I'm going to skip the scentless rainbows because mine don't have any problems thus far. I'm keeping them in the box, since I have almost all of the original versions of them. I considered buying a second Butterscotch to de-box, but decided against it.
I'm not sure if I'm going to buy ALL of the 2019 waves. I know for sure I want some of the year 3 rainbows because they're going to be sO NICE to have without those age spots or rust, but the sitting ponies and shy ponies? My Applejack is in stunning condition, so I'm not sure...but I don't want Basic Fun to stop making them.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal