collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collecting Everything Twice? Opinions / Questions? (Basic Fun)  (Read 8179 times)

Offline ThePoneZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting Everything Twice? Opinions / Questions? (Basic Fun)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 02:51:05 AM »
I would love to, but I can't afford to buy all of them once, let alone twice.

They don't sell them in store where I live, so I have to buy them online. A single loose 35th Anniversary pony costs about $35-$45 with shipping and taxes included. The 5 piece rainbow pony pack cost me $107, but it was an early Christmas present to myself, so I splurged a little. I then got myself Minty and will probably get 1 or 2 unicorns. I'd love to get them all, but it's cheaper for me to just buy the real ones at those prices.
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 04:05:21 AM »
I’ve been buying select ponies of each set so far. I have Cotton Candy (who was my first childhood pony), Snuzzle (my army pony),Windy, Moonstone, and Skydancer (favourite rainbows). I am hoping that wave three makes it to Canada and I would buy them all because that is my favourite set ever. I also have the Pretty Parlour (which I haven’t opened yet because it is a bribe to myself to get my pony room organized).

But that’s going to be it for me. I have no desire to have modern duplicates of all my vintage ponies. And I also feel like having a few 35th anniversary rereleases is cool, but having an entire second collection...?

With the exception of the Pretty Parlour, these will all stay in box. I’m going to attach hang tags to them and display them on the wall with my 25th anniversary sets.

Elf

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 04:43:01 AM »
I’ve been buying select ponies of each set so far. I have Cotton Candy (who was my first childhood pony), Snuzzle (my army pony),Windy, Moonstone, and Skydancer (favourite rainbows). I am hoping that wave three makes it to Canada and I would buy them all because that is my favourite set ever. I also have the Pretty Parlour (which I haven’t opened yet because it is a bribe to myself to get my pony room organized).

But that’s going to be it for me. I have no desire to have modern duplicates of all my vintage ponies. And I also feel like having a few 35th anniversary rereleases is cool, but having an entire second collection...?

With the exception of the Pretty Parlour, these will all stay in box. I’m going to attach hang tags to them and display them on the wall with my 25th anniversary sets.

Elf

Did you find the Peachu Parlour in stores???? or did you have to import it
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
I haven't bought any 35th anniversary ponies, nor do I intend to because well... I'm simply not interested in doing exactly what you said. Buying the same ponies all over again.

The originals from the 80's and 90's are the ones I'm interested in. Partially because of the nostalgia attached to them. Newly produced ones just doesn't have that for me.

If Basic Fun start producing the prototype G1's (as has been discussed in another thread) of for example NBBE Baby Shady and unicorn Baby Truly then that's a whole other story and I would be throwing my money at them. (Someone suggested in that thread to write Basic Fun and make this suggestion to them, so I'm now working on a letter to them :) ).

But for as along as they just keep re-releasing ponies then I'm going to pass.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
I think I may buy my daughter the ones that she keeps taking from my collection (Applejack especially) because the one I have is sentimental.  I never had her as a child (too young when Y1-2 were on shelves) and soon after I got married and moved to Canada, my husband went to the thrift store to look for ponies for me.  and he found me Applejack!   I had had to purge ~99% of my MASSIVE collection in order to move and I had very very few ponies on my shelves.  The Wall of Happy was mostly his, and he wanted me to have things displayed on it. 

Althooooooooooooough I am torn, Applejack is a TOY and should be PLAYED with!  By a CHILD!  I can't pour the love and attention into the toy that I once had time for... I'm kind of Toy Story-thinking like that.... or maybe the Oddkins in Dean Koontz's book. 

Anyway I would much rather her plant herself in the MLP aisle and refuse to leave the retros on the shelf than have her obsessed with whatever blind bag scam is popular this week.  LOL Surprise, Hairdorables, Shopkins, Num Nums, all these insane things... it's as wild as the 90's was with all the girl toylines to keep track of.  PONIES.  I will be happy to buy more ponies for children who will LOVE them.  :) 

Plus it will make thrifting even more interesting in 10 years!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
I don’t have all of the originals... but... I will probably buy one of each of the remakes and two of the ones that I don’t have... so I can take them out of the box.  At least, that’s what I have been doing. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
I don't have most of the old ones so I'm really enjoying getting to open the new ones.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 09:52:28 PM »

Anyway I would much rather her plant herself in the MLP aisle and refuse to leave the retros on the shelf than have her obsessed with whatever blind bag scam is popular this week.  LOL Surprise, Hairdorables, Shopkins, Num Nums, all these insane things... it's as wild as the 90's was with all the girl toylines to keep track of.  PONIES.  I will be happy to buy more ponies for children who will LOVE them.  :) 

OMG I'm so sick of blindbag surprise everything! like yeah I liked some of that as a kid.... but it's just so cheap and lazy from a design standpoint. Plus the gambling aspect of them  :enraged:
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2019, 02:04:47 AM »
For me, the 35th anniversary ponies aren't really G1s, so I wouldn't buy them as substitutes for ponies I don't have. I haven't seen them in real life (none of our local shops have them), and of course seeing G1s in a shop wouldn't be such a nostalgic thing for me as I didn't have them the first time around. Really, they're something that I'm happy exists for collectors and kids who want them, but am not too bothered about for myself.

Now if they start rereleasing accessories and ponywear, I'd be interested! I want those things to play with, and I often can't justify the price or am saddened by the dilapidated state of the vintage accessories. I basically bought the 35th anniversary Parlour so that I could have shiny new non-flattened hats and the different-mould Twinkles (I'm obsessed with collecting different versions of Twinkles and Catnip). I also kept Peachy, but ended up sending the rest of the set on to make someone else happy as I don't really have space for playsets. So, Basic Fun, if you're reading this, tiny accessories and ponywear, please! But keep making the ponies for those who like them and because I love the idea of a new generation of kids getting into G1-style ponies and building a collection without having to scour charity shops or pay eBay prices :).

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 06:28:08 AM »
Hmm I have bought 1 of each pony so far because of the opportunity to buy g1 style ponies in the store and to support line. To be honest I don't care about any that have been released so far, the earliest ponies I had in my collection were from Year 5 the year I was born. So being all these ponies are from before then they are not nostalgic to me (and I don't really think they are so cute compared to later year ponies)

now I'm not so sure what to do, they keep making more and I want to support them... 60$ is hardly anything to spend for a hobby here and there so that cost isn't an issue. Space is certainly haha, where will I put all these?

Should I start getting selective now? Should I skip some sets until they get to ones I like better? How far will they go into producing these? I remember they stated wanting to make Big Brothers. If I had known how many they were making I'd probably have skipped all of the collector pose line.

Also what do I do now about the non-scented rainbow ponies? I'd rather have those since the scented are already breaking down but I can no longer return them, I don't want doubles of this line but the non-scented ones are better.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
I want them all. :)
I do wish they had released none scented rainbows to begin with, but they didn't. I am going to have look for those now because the scented ones bug me, especially Starshine. While it is a chunk of change to rebuy them, in the long run I think I am going to be happier with them not smelling as they are strong when I open up the cabinet I have them in. I figure I can either let my niece play with the scented ones when she comes to our house, or I can set them out in other places in the house.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »
I already have the originals of what has been released so far, but I'm still buying most of the remakes. I can't resist! The novelty of buying sparkling new G1s from the store (and opening some) is too much for me! I know they're not "real" but to me they're so close that it doesn't matter. They're beautiful!

There are a few I think I've decided to skip - so far that would be Starshine and Skydancer, because I've never cared much for them. I might also skip Firefly and Medley, though I do like them both. Particularly Firefly, since I've always thought her color was a weird, ugly shade of pinkish and the new one is a nice color. Might also skip Trickles and Confetti because they're also sort of meh to me, but I don't own either one of them so I won't hold it against myself if I cave and buy them when I see them in person lol.

There are a couple I have gotten 2 of so that I can open some and still have a nice MIB, but I don't plan to do that with all of them (mostly because of cost and space haha).
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:48 AM »
They are so beautiful: especially the newest wave. I would love to buy them in store and open them and enjoy that new pony goodness. But we do not have them in SA now that the Cotton On ponies are finished. But at least we did get those 4.

Offline CindyPony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • ponyponypony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »
Yay! duplicates

I like to have extra, and variants, and damaged differently, one to keep nice and one to hold or carry around...

I can't be trusted to get rid of extras either.

Collecting every pony?  Um, nah...that seems so daunting, there are so many, and then from other countries...i do love finding a pony i know but in another pose from another country that's not much to buy.  Or in different colors.
Make an extra, extra special wish!     oooo wow ponymotes :work:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
They’re real enough for me and I like having them minty.  I haven’t bought the first releases in years and I don’t have anywhere close to all the ponies on my childhood wish list.   So, I find it a fun way to “complete” my collection.

It would be fun if they made UK and other European releases.  I was so excited to see that there was a baby Applejack and Bow Tie.  But I’ve never won a bid and kind of gave up.  I think other casual collectors would love them too.

So I guess, technically I’m not buying the same characters twice unless I want to take one out of the box... because I don’t have the original releases.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal