collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Snowflake symbol variation?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Snowflake symbol variation?
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
Hi all

Just doing some sorting and upgrading, and I've hit a conundrum!

I have two Snowflakes here - one who's lived with me for years, and a recent arrival. But their symbols are quite different.

Both are Hong Kong with exactly the same hoof markings. One is a slightly hotter pink than the other.

But the symbols... the new one is distinctly more glittery (albeit a little worn now).
My original girl's are much heavier (and they appear more painted like, a bit like an Italian - though she isn't Italian and they do have some sparkle going on), but the key thing is the ends of her snowflakes. They are more like arrowheads, whereas new arrival's are rounded ends, like the image on mylittlewiki.

I do know from the seller of the new girl (the more glittery one) that she was given the pony as a child in South Africa. Not that I'm sure that would make a difference? Or does it? I don't know where my original girl originated from.

Any clues from you pony peeps? What do your Snowflakes look like?

Is the difference an oddity, a legit thing, or of overall little significance?

Original girl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
[/url]

New girl
visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

Side by side
visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Snowflake symbol variation?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »
From my site photo, it looks like my childhood Snowflake (UK, 1986) has rounded flakes.  I am not at home at the moment so can't check in person to be sure. I wonder if this is another symptom of all the weird set combinations in 1986-7 in various places.

There are minor variations to a few of the ponies around this time, too - there are 1986 variations for CJ and Lickety Split, as well as the dark symbol Posey (compared to the 1985 set), so it wouldn't be out of character for there to be others as well.

From your image, the bottom pony looks more like the kind of Snowflakes I'm used to seeing in the UK. I often see them with rubbed symbols.

^ My childhood pony bought in the UK in 1986. I think you can just about see with her symbol. I am going to go dig through my MOC images to see if it's clear enough to tell...

Edit to add: Also rounded as far as I can see on my MOC, also UK release on the card picturing Gypsy (which I think is unique to the UK release of this pony, as Gypsy wasn't sold in the set in other places).
Spoiler

On another note, there are 2 versions of some ponies, like Confetti, from 1986 as well - some with paint beneath the symbol and some not. I think the same also applies to the first set of Rainbows here too. It may be along those lines?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:49:24 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pony.Backpack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
Is there the possibility that someone repainted the OG's symbols? They almost look like someone tried to revitalize a faded/rubbed symbol. They definitely look much more hand painted

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »
Is there the possibility that someone repainted the OG's symbols? They almost look like someone tried to revitalize a faded/rubbed symbol. They definitely look much more hand painted

Oh my good gracious.... now that you mention it  :shocked: :shocked: 

Tafetta - I was enjoying reading your theories (and admiring your wondrous knowledge, lol!) and then as I went on to read Pony.Backpack's comment (thank you), I do now have to wonder!! I am horrified at the plausible prospect!

I've blimmin' put them both away into storage again (thinking on keeping both) but looking back at the pics I took today, those 'arrowheads' don't really look uniform, do they, for a factory print? It is entirely possible that someone's just gone over them with a silver pen!  :hmm: That would also explain the 'flatter' texture of them.

Until now, I had never had another Snowflake to compare against (apart from an Italian I once owned), and I've had her all these years (being bought waaaaaay back in my first year of collecting, lol) and never known any better re her symbols. It annoys me somewhat, this possibility, that I have possibly had an undisclosed 'flawed' pony, but I have to remind myself that I have also loved her all these years, too  :huh:

If anyone else out there has one with symbols like my original one, please come forward!! It's be interesting given Tafetta's notes to see if there has been some variation along the way. But right now it seems just as likely, if not unfortunately more probable, that I have a 'restored' pony!!!!  :blush:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 01:17:35 AM »
I don't have her as I have Italian Snowflake and feel no need to obtain the HK version. However I do know someone who has her, here in South Africa, and they had sent me a photo. Her girl also has the rounded points, as does my Italian.

I love small details like these!

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:35:32 AM »
Another 'rounded points' Snowflake here!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:02:38 AM »
They look a bit hand painted to me too!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »
I kind of didn't want to suggest that as an option, but the fact the body tone is different means you can't totally rule batch variation out ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:53:03 AM »
My Snowflake also has the glittery rounded snowflakes.
I really liked Tafetta's theories but when I read Pony.Backpack's suggestion and looked at the picture again it really does look like someone may have re-painted the snowflakes on your pony :(
A major bummer! But if that is the case at least now you have a Snowflake with authentical snowflakes!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:53:33 AM »
they might have been hand painted at the factory to touch up the symbols?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:18:46 PM »
Her girl also has the rounded points, as does my Italian.

Another 'rounded points' Snowflake here!

My Snowflake also has the glittery rounded snowflakes.

Thanks, guys!!!   ^.^ ^.^

I'm going to have to pull her out of storage again to have a closer look now that the 'touched up' revelation has come forward. I think by looking at her other side that might really settle the score, to see how uniform they are!  :rolleyes:  I can live in hope of a batch variation... but even if she isn't, maybe I should hold onto her... in a nostalgic kind of way she beautifully reflects for me how we all often are in our early, sometimes naive excitable collecting, and how much we often learn along the way!

I'll see how I feel when I pull her out of storage again!  :lol:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
To me they do look hand painted.  I could easily picture someone drawing on the symbols to "repair" them after heavy glitter loss.  (Maybe not even a collector, it could have been a parent.)  I'll bet there was just enough glitter left for them to follow them as a pattern.  To be honest they did a really good job, it's only because you posted a close-up that I can see that they aren't original.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Pony.Backpack

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 08:46:39 AM »
Comparing sides is a great idea! While the symbol may not be uniform on the one side, if the lack of uniform is, well, uniform on the other side, it would make sense for it to be a factory thing ♥ lol uniform, uniform, uniform

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
To be honest they did a really good job, it's only because you posted a close-up that I can see that they aren't original.

Yeah - and until I had another snowflake to compare against, I was none the wiser!  :lol:

Comparing sides is a great idea!

Yep - will certainly be checking them out very closely when I get her out of storage again!

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »
My moc on Gypsys card also has round points. 

Would definately been interesting if she was a variant, especially considering she was sold in different sets across Erope. :)  But must say that I agree that it looks handpainted.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal