collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Watership Down Miniseries  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: Watership Down Miniseries
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
I totally have to read the book again :D Its been years since last time!

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:03 AM »
I've watched just over half of it now, but I'm still not sure whether I like it. The one thing that did occur to me is that it would have been great to have the "Guardians of Gahoole" movie in a similar style, darker and more serious, rather than turning it into such a children's / family movie. Did anyone else think that?

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »
Hmmmm.... I have not read the source material, so already on the back foot here! But the movie was a distinct one I remember from childhood, and I have to admit, I was left feeling rather underwhelmed by this new series in many respects.

I'm not sure if that's because the film is close to my heart and set me up with a wall of prejudice straight away? I feel like I settled into the miniseries with an open mind, knowing that it would likely be very different, but if I had to compare the two (again with some uncertainty as to how each deviate from the original book) then I feel like the film was just way better. I much preferred the majority of character portrayals in the film, and the music had far more of an impact for me in the movie, too. And the animation in the miniseries... I don't get it? It was just odd.

I wouldn't have said the miniseries seemed particularly dark or scary to me (but then again, I didn't think that of the movie either, even as a child. But I was a fan of The Secret of NIMH and the Dark Crystal etc which appeared to have frightened the living daylights out of other children, so maybe *I* am just odd, lol!). I thought the tension overall was better in the film. It felt dragged out in places in the miniseries for me, especially the end climatic scene, and I didn't care for much of the token jokey dialogue in many places of the series. Much of that could have been scrapped and not been missed.

I thought perhaps (again, not knowing the book) that the series allowed more time to delve deeper into the characters, but I overall prefer the succinctness of the movie. The mini-series did have some nice moments, but as a whole, not enough for me to want to re-visit it again anytime soon, or frankly, ever.

I didn't think the mini-series dreadful. Just... meh  :huh:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal