collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Confirmed names of the Macau ponies?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
Confirmed names of the Macau ponies?
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I need some help from the community and the Nirvana experts :)

Looking at a backcard scan that I found, I was rather confused by the names. Following the backcard, the pony I always thought to be "Blosscotch" or simply Macau Butterscotch, would be Jenny, while the brown pony I considered to be Jenny -being the Macau variant of Snuzzle and as there is no grey Macau Snuzzzle with pink hearts- would be Rosy? I am just wondering what might be the reason we call Jenny Jenny (the brown pony) and why Blosscotch doesn't really have a name. Digging up a bit of pony history here and I want to get to the roots of it :)

The backcard scan is by babydoll84 and I wasn't sure if i was allowed to post it here, so I didn't. But it is still to be found in the archived forum version: http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/p=2457309.html

Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Confirmed names of the Macau ponies?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:12 AM »
I am going to wait for the real experts to come in but I noticed on that old thread PKW mentions the brown snuzzle pony we call Jenny sold on the card marked Jenny. So I am guessing there are MIP examples that have kind of led us that way?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »
Hmmmm, from my mind I can recall :

Belly, Minky, Jenny...

A, you know what? Ill be back! Gotta check something!

edit :
okey, here what I found !!
pics shown are from this page : http://www.ponylande.de

Jenny (confirmed) -> brown Snuzzle (see here : http://www.ponylande.de/g1/jahre/jahr1/ovpsnuzzle2.jpg)
Belly (confirmed) -> Bluebell (see here : http://www.ponylande.de/g1/jahre/jahr1/ovpbluebelle.jpg)
Pinky Candy (confirmed) -> pink haired Cotton Candy (see here : http://www.ponylande.de/g1/jahre/jahr1/ovpkuegelchen.jpg)

Im pretty sure about Minky -> Minty. But dont know the rest atm. Ill come back if I find any more info :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:15:47 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline Strandperle

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Thank you :) Are my eyes tricking me or does Cotton Candy's card say "Candy"? I think Pinky was her name in Italy, may that be? :)

I recall a scan of the Macau Pretty Parlour labels... found it! Over at the MLPTP: http://www.mlptp.net/index.php?threads/pretty-parlor-name-tags-from-around-the-world.84567/

Now I have to check which labels I have here  :lol:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:10 AM »
Another weird anecdotal observation but my sister and I acquired a few of these from a carboot sale, and one of them was the pale peach Cotton Candy. She actually had Candy written on her hooves as though her previous owner wanted to remember her real name for some reason. This owner had others with their names written on the base of the hoof too, just not macau ones. I think therefore all versions of Cotton Candy were probably sold as Candy but it's just circumstantial.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 02:47:09 AM »
Interesting... I noticed the parlour tags show the corresponding symbols, too. Once again, as for the backcard, Butterscotch is being named "Jenny". This means there have been severe contradictions in naming between cards and accessories. Perhaps they intended one version but it got changed in the process of the pony's actual release.

Also, there are names for Snuzzle (which technically came out as Snuzzledrop) and Blossom (which would be Blosscotch), but both these ponies have not been produced as a "clean" version for themselves. As a result, it might be "right" for Blosscotch to be called "Bonnie" and Snuzzledrop to be called "Rosie", if I get it right? Even more as "Jenny" can not be used for Blosscotch, as the name is already taken for the brown version of Peachy sold as "Jenny" with that name on her card.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:08:38 PM by Tiara546 »

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
No idea why I wrote Pinky XD Its Candy of course! Ill have a closer look to my Parlors nametags tomorrow. I think I have some of those Macau pony tags somewhere... but ehem, my pony room is a mess right now o.o (yeah, working on it!! Wil be getting a new shelf tomorrow!).

Offline DrEsmeRose

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Tender Quill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »
I'm cracking up over Belly! What a kookie name!
Wanted: All the ponies!
Mostly Piggies :P

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
I'm cracking up over Belly! What a kookie name!

I think they were probably just playing off "Bluebelle" ("Belle-y") and it's one of those names that sounds better to them than it does to us, but man.. XD I love Nirvana names.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:51 PM »
The ponies are shown with their correct names in the nirvana gallery :)

http://mlparena.com/archive/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=216553

Original Six = sold on a card.
Bluebell/Belly
Lilac Butterscotch/Bonny
Cotton Candy/Candy
Minty/Minky
Snuzzle Drop (The name on the front of the card is Rosy (the picture on the back of the card is a grey pony with pink mane and tail and pink hearts, with the name Rosy next to it)
Jenny/Brown Peachy/Snuzzle (Jenny is actually Butterscotches name, but "Brown Peachy/Snuzzle" was sold with her given name being JENNY on her card.)

Playset Ponies
Lemondrop/Folly (Folly is her name according to the "Macau" German Pretty parlour cards)
Peachy/Nelly (Nelly is her name according to the "Macau" German Pretty Parlour cards)

The Macaus orignal six have all been found MOC so these are their names, the names also correlate with the names on the "Macau" German pretty parlour cards.

I can't seem to locate pictures at moment >_<

ETA found it! saved it off eBay back in 2004

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:08:29 PM by pinkkittywinks »
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
I find it interesting how the card names and the pony names on the back don't add up together. I did wonder whether there was ever a Butterscotch on the Jenny card found or if this was just a case of them switching the names over at some point between card design and production. I raise this because even in mainstream G1 you have several incidents of ponies switching names around on insert art and in promotional material before the final names are settled (and there is still uncertainty about Stella and Night Song and which way round Hasbro actually intended it). I wonder whether this is one of those incidences, because of the Butterscotch symbols on the Jenny nametag and yet that not being the pony.

Off the top of my head I can also think of all the name confusion with the Sundae Best (which is complicated and messed up) as well as the 1987 insert switching around 2 of the Mountain Boys (and the promotional information giving 2 of them different names, one of which also showed up on a Grooming Parlour card). It suggests this stuff all happens way before production, so a late change of mind wouldn't necessarily get through. Even in Nirvana world this must happen, right?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Strandperle

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
Taffeta, I thought about that too. According to the parlour tags and the backcard, the pony we call "Jenny" should have been Rosy instead (as there is no grey Macau Snuzzle) and Blosscotch would be the "real" Jenny, right?... I wonder if that simply is the result of a brown Snuzzle sold on the wrong card. How many MOC brown Snuzzles are known to the community?

But well, no matter what they are called, I love them either way :D

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Tehehehe you might be right, Strandperle :D

(reminds me of that mysterious tag for one of the Mountain Boys. It was Thunderclouds symbol but a different and well fitting name :P)

Btw, found my tags and yeah no idea how I thought I should have at least two Macau tags... didnt find those. XD Well maybe they are still hiding somewhere in the ponyroom-jungle!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:41:46 PM by Einhornbaby »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »
Tehehehe you might be right, Strandperle :D

(reminds me of that mysterious tag for one of the Mountain Boys. It was Thunderclouds symbol but a different and well fitting name :P)

Btw, found my tags and yeah no idea how I thought I should have at least two Macau tags... didnt find those. XD Well maybe they are still hiding somewhere in the ponyroom-jungle!

The Thundercloud tag is 'Storm' which I guess didn't get through because of the XMen associations? XD I dunno. But it came with Snuzzle's parlour in the UK in 1987, and must've been early 1987 as the Mountain Boys were also that year...probably the late summer/autumn. Hasbro's list also calls him Storm, and Ice Crystal is Frosty, but the insert has the proper names - just reverses Tornado and Lightning's names.
Spoiler

...Do the Macau ponies have inserts? And are they always on the same language card? These are maybe obvious questions but I'm also reminded of Hula Hula - who is a unicorn in the US but an earth pony in the UK...because of a name switch on one side of the atlantic (who knows which).

I admit I also wondered how many brown Peachy/Snuzzles MOC have arisen for the same reason. I have Honeycomb on Snowflake's card and to all extents and purposes you'd think that was correct - even though the names on the back of the card reveal otherwise. It could be a similar situation or a Stella/Nightsong situation in which two names are equally correct.

I am applying mainstream pony rules to a Nirvana line, though, which may not always be a good idea...

For the time being mine is Jenny, but this discussion is really interesting xD.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:58:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
I’ve seen four different Jenny’s MOC :) you are both spot on about the mix up with Butterscotch/Jenny. It is quite the mix up isn’t it! I imagine confused children wondering what to call their piny,

There are quite a number of back card errors out there and they are fun to spot :lol:

It looks to me like there was two waves of the collectors pose ponies, I’m thinking of the Italy stamped ones, they have quite different names, which, if rightly remember match up with the comic names.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal