collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Following ebay advice might get you in trouble  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
Following ebay advice might get you in trouble
« on: November 16, 2018, 06:05:15 AM »
Not really asking for advice, more of a buyers beware when dealing with ebay.

Long story short (at least a little bit shorter, sorry for massive wall of text).
I bought an item from a seller, was interested in more items, and asked the seller if they would do combined shipping, to wich the seller agreeds. I buy the other things I wanted, and contacted seller again for paying, but she was not able to combine the invoices, as they had used the global shipping program. I dont buy much from ebay, so I'm not too familiar with the GSP, and neither was the seller it seemed, but apparently they wont allow combined shipping.
As the shipping was quite high on each item, and I also need to pay tax and customs duty on every extra shipping fee, the extra costs would be quite high for me.
So we contacted ebay for help, asking what we should do, and the response was that combined shipping was not possible, however, we could cancel the orders, and relist them to avoid this.
So the seller cancels the orders, and relists it as a lot for me, and I use buy it now and sends payment. Seller cancells the new list as well, by mistake, and I get my money refunded in paypal. She relists again, I buy, and send payment.
She ships, I receive everything, and everything is fine.

Then one day, when happily looking through ebay, trying to bid on another auction, I get a warning message that I have been blocked for bidding on auctions, as they are afraid I might overwhelm myself in buying, and suggests a couple of reasons that may cause this, where cancelled actions is one of the reasons.
I contact ebay and asks what is wrong, and they tell me, and yes, this actually happened, that they can see that I have been a long time member (over ten years) with few transactions on my account, which makes me a casual buyer. But now they have limited my account, as they are afraid that I will buy more things than I'm comfortable in buying. And their suggestion to solve this, is by buying MORE things, but with buy it now, to prove that I dont buy more then I'm comfortable with.
 So, in order to be able to bid on what I really want, I need to buy things that I might not really want, nor need, and spend extra money to prove I dont spend more then comfortable with.. :sleepy:

I ask if my long term membership and casual buying wouldnt show that I'm really not the person who do shopping sprees that I cannot pay for?
Their response. I have to many unpaid items on my account.
I have NO unpaid items on my account, which I tell them.  I got a message during the transaction above, that I got an unpaid item strike on one of the cancelled orders, but that was removed.
Next response is, I have to many cancelled auctions.
I explain to them that all my cancelled actions, are because ebay adviced us to handle it that way. All items are bought and paid for in another auction. I have paid for every single item I have bought.
Then it goes back and forth like this, a few times, as there are different people answering the mails everytime, and they are not really bothered to read what has already been written.
I provide screenshots of the mails where ebay suggested us to cancel and relist, and that one cancelation was due to sellers mistake, and suddenly I get an answer where they are admitting that ok, we can see that this is the case, BUT, they are sorry that ebay customer service provided me wrong answer when I asked for help, AND it is still my fault as I it is my responsibility to ask for combined shipping, to avoid cancelled auctions.
I provide screenshot of my qestion to the seller, and the sellers response where they agree to combined shipping, thinking that FINALLY they belive me, and now when I can show that this last thing they blaim me for is not true either, this will finally be over.
What I get back? "Oh, I can see that you have too many cancelled orders on your account, thats why we have restricted your account so you cannot bid on auctions. to solve this, you need to buy more thing with buy it now, blah blah, I trust this is a satisfactory answer, blah blah blah".
At this time I start to rip my hair out. Thats exactly what we have been talking about in all our mails, if they bother to read! 
:dumbpc:

Then it all starts over again, and the only thing I get now is that they claim they have answered all my questions satisfactory by saying I have to much cancelled auctions, when what I really want to know is,how it is my fault when I'm only followed the advice I got from ebay. Where I did wrong, when asking for combined shipping, that was agreed, asking ebay how to do this, and then seller cancel and relist, due to ebay advice, I buy and pay for the relisted auction. And most important, why am I punished for following ebays advice? Should I not be able to trust what ebay advice me to do?

I mean, had I actually not paid for anything, or cancelled auctions because I changed my mind about them, then I would understand ebays decision to do this, but as I have only done what they adviced us to do, and paid for absolutley everything I have bought on ebay, even the canceled auctions, I feel it is unfair to get this ban. Because if ebay hadn't given that advice, and said it was not possible to combine shipping, then I had sucked it up, and paid for it. But as Ebay told us we could go around it, I trusted that, and that was my mistake.

Well. I guess they wont change their mind, neither take responsibility for what their own customer service says.
So maybe I just have to suck it up and find a lot of BINs thay might be interesting enough so I can continue to bid if I find what I really want (as they could not say how many BINs I needed to do before the ban was lifted. maybe 1, maybe 10, maybe 100, I dont know). As I'm a MOC, and Nirvana collector the things I look for dont really pop up that often, so I would like to be able to bid when they do.
And in every single mail, they thank me for choosing ebay, and that they value my business...yeah, right.  :yucky:

This is not really asking for advice, but more a warning to all ebay buyers to be aware that these kind of solutions to any problems on ebay, with cancel and relisting, may end bad for you, even though it's sugested by ebay themself.
And that you should not trust ebay advices given, as they will not stand up for them, if they decide that the advice they gave was wrong, and you will take all them blame for it.
I just hope noone else get stuck in the same situation.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Re: Following ebay advice might get you in trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 06:16:15 AM »
Wow, just another reason not to use the GSP. What a nightmare! EBay didn't handle that in the best way, especially with someone who has been a member for so long. I'm surprised they would choose to handle it the way they have.

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 06:36:35 AM »
Wow o: That back-and-forth with their customer service sounds like a real nightmare. I'd be ripping out my hair, too.. and solving that by having to buy more sounds very counterintuitive xD
Just a thought, maybe you can check with the other dala girls if anyone needs anything on BIN and they can buy through you, so you don't have to buy things you don't actually need? Unless that's more of a hassle, ofc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »
Wow, just another reason not to use the GSP. What a nightmare! EBay didn't handle that in the best way, especially with someone who has been a member for so long. I'm surprised they would choose to handle it the way they have.

I don't think this is a reason not to use GSP. I think this is a demonstration of poor customer service and how automated ebay is.

I'm sorry OP :/ There's a possibility that time can help roll those off, maybe? I'm guessing on that though.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:17 AM »

I don't think this is a reason not to use GSP. I think this is a demonstration of poor customer service and how automated ebay is.

Not being able to combine shipping is a HUGE reason not to use the GSP! The OP wouldn't have had an issue if the seller hadn't used it. I've heard nothing but complaints about it. It may be easier for the seller but it has caused nothing but issues for buyers.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:26:14 AM »
Wow what a nightmare.... I know Mum has always found ebay customer service useless. No one actually seems to know anything, pretty sure they have a sort of 'problems' manual & don't ever venture off it. Maybe ebay customer service are just not allowed to have their own common sense  :blink: usually in these sorts of situations you can demand to talk to their supervisor, who would then be able to sort it out because they have the authority to do so... but not really sure that would help on ebay either doubt they have much authority over it.
It's all a bit more controlled & 'robotic' than 'Human'

Ebay are having big issues with their shipping at the moment not just GSP (although we would never use this), combined shipping doesn't even work when you set it up correctly  >_<
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:29:42 AM by Lollipop »
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »

Not being able to combine shipping is a HUGE reason not to use the GSP! The OP wouldn't have had an issue if the seller hadn't used it. I've heard nothing but complaints about it. It may be easier for the seller but it has caused nothing but issues for buyers.

I see it more of a customer service issue then GSP. It wasn't really the GSP that caused the issue, it's the automation of all the defects against OP that should of have not been there.

More buyers and sellers need to be aware of the what it is -- and what's good about it and bad. The moment I saw "GSP" and "combined" I thought "oh no.." but that part of the story was resolved with "She ships, I receive everything, and everything is fine".

Customer service with ebay is absolutely hideous.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:58:54 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
eBay customer service is the worst, followed closely by the GSP.  And (in the US at least) it's all OVER THE PHONE.  WTF??  I am convinced it's because eBay hopes people experiencing problems will get frustrated and give up on calling them.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
GSP is a real pain. There doesn’t seem to be any logic applied to the shipping prices and the prices themselves are astronomical for international sellers.

Sorry that eBay weren’t more helpful - it seems as they are just applying their rules without any consideration of your individual situation. I’m surprised they didn’t understand even when you showed them screenshots of the messages between you and the seller! What a pain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
*sigh*  what a mess!  I am sorry this has happened to you!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »

I'm sorry OP :/ There's a possibility that time can help roll those off, maybe? I'm guessing on that though.

It is definitely a reason not to use the GSP, but then everything is a reason not to use the GSP in my book ;)

Leikin, that is horrible. From start to finish. And why is it that customer service people NEVER read the actual email any more? And then they persistently harass you to grade the feedback given. Not just ebay, but everywhere. People have lost the ability to read something longer than a twitter feed line, I swear.

I personally would keep fighting with them over this until I got my account back to normal :/  I mean what a ridiculous thing, to restrict an account for fear of overbuying and fix it by encouraging more BIN? THey don't care about you overbuying, they care about their fees from the sale.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
What a mess, I have had that useless, redundant communication before. This thread isn't quite fresh anymore but the solution I can think of, and what has worked for me in the past was to call them rather than write. Also, I would think it'd help to have more than one Ebay account - that way, you can bid with the new account and BIN with the banned one, until the ban is lifted again. All you need is a second email address to register with.
Though I hope your problem has been resolved since.

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »
For all we know people are being lab rats for new problem detection software... & A.I. doesn't get people so it is a shame that eBay isn't geared to let human buyers and sellers resolve between themselves sometimes. You probably got labeled by a robot as a bad buyer & is not a human decision.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 02:15:38 AM »
Incidentally, it's phone only here too - in theory. BUT there is a way of getting an online chat box with a human being. It used to be much more accessible than it is now, as they hid it away. But it is there. If you really hunt for it and select the right options.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal