collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you think of the new G4 packaging? Another new type of packaging on pg 2  (Read 6710 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Here's the Celestia/Luna packaging

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And Magical Salon Pinkie

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I think I said this in the other thread, but I find it ironic that Hasbro are putting more time and attention into designing new packaging than new product.

As a MIP collector in general, I don't like this. This kind of packaging looks cheap and it isn't practical for storage either. I have a bunch of loose and MIP G4 and I am fine with them on the simple cards. I would like Hasbro to focus on plastic only for the toy and not so much for the box...and I would like them to focus more on making the thing inside the box actually interesting and new rather than wasting both plastic product and plastic packaging on the exact same thing over and over again.

Ten years of G4 doesn't count if eight of those years are minutely different versions of the same thing while Hasbro shows off all its possible packaging permutations.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
I don't like the new packaging at all. But I don't like the new ponies either, so what :D

Ten years of G4 doesn't count if eight of those years are minutely different versions of the same thing while Hasbro shows off all its possible packaging permutations.

Sorry for off topic, but- WHAT? Is it already ten years?? Gosh, I feel old now...
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
I don't like the new packaging at all. But I don't like the new ponies either, so what :D

Sorry for off topic, but- WHAT? Is it already ten years?? Gosh, I feel old now...

9 this year :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I think I said this in the other thread, but I find it ironic that Hasbro are putting more time and attention into designing new packaging than new product.

As a MIP collector in general, I don't like this. This kind of packaging looks cheap and it isn't practical for storage either. I have a bunch of loose and MIP G4 and I am fine with them on the simple cards. I would like Hasbro to focus on plastic only for the toy and not so much for the box...and I would like them to focus more on making the thing inside the box actually interesting and new rather than wasting both plastic product and plastic packaging on the exact same thing over and over again.

:iconclap:

I was gonna say packaging #2 is kinda dollar store-ish.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I wasn't a fan of the standard G3 packaging, and I'm not a fan of this.  I don't like funky shapes.  It's impossible to stack to display MOC, and strange shapes makes saving the non-plastic stuff hard if I open it.  And of course, there's the space issue.  A carded pony is SO much smaller than this. 

I wish Hasbro would spend some of that creativity on the actual figures instead of the packaging!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Just a teeny complaint - I'd rather not have real people on my MLP pony packaging.

I get that maybe they're convincing the Target Audience that yes you too can be like this girl and hold this pony - a type of identity marketing, but I'd rather it wasn't there myself.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
Just a teeny complaint - I'd rather not have real people on my MLP pony packaging.

I get that maybe they're convincing the Target Audience that yes you too can be like this girl and hold this pony - a type of identity marketing, but I'd rather it wasn't there myself.

Now that you mention it, having the girl holding the pony on the front does look a little out of place.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook

Now that you mention it, having the girl holding the pony on the front does look a little out of place.

Ponyfan

And gender stereotyped.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
:wonder:  It looks ok in the shop, or for a special edition one off type of pony.... but normal releases? :hmm:  nope.
 I keep most of my G4 / G4.5 MOC these days for displaying ( although I still prefer my G1 and G3 loose and for photoshoots) , and the card with plastic bubble was easy to display.  These will take up waaay more space. I don't like all that plastic on this packaging... actually as a collector I don't really like any of the new packaging in this thread TBH :yikes:  :blush:  I suppose it would be ok  to get one pony (say you have a Twilight army or something) in it, or if you were giving one was a gift to someone it looks ok, or if you debox it isn';t too bad- well apart from all that extra plastic to get rid of..

Totally agree with you :nod:  I really don't like real peeps on my pony packaging either.  Ok I know they used to do it with G1 playsets, but that didn't bother me when I was a kid and deboxing to play with them.
 Plus both genders collect/play with MLP so advertising them as a "girl" toy ... no that doesn't really work- Hasbro know they have a lot of boys who are into MLP now so why do this??!!!  :what:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
I think I found another reason I don't like this new packaging. It seems to emphasize how small the pony is compared to the all the plastic surrounding it.

I'm not sure what Hasbro is trying to go for with the girl on the front of Celestia's package. :what:

I have to admit I'm disappointed that it looks like Songbird, Tempest, Sliverstream and Sandbar won't be returning. I know Songbird and Tempest are movie characters but it would have been nice to see more releases of them.

Ponyfan

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Well, I suppose if you were going to use that particular pony to create a custom piece the big plastic packaging might make a nice "home" for it to be displayed in.

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
I think it's cute, but I'm not really a MIP collector. I might buy and keep the Mane 6 in these packages, but anything else will end up opened eventually.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
In regards to the packaging with the rainbow on it... I kind of like it.  At least the rainbow part.  It’s kind of reminiscent of the G1 logo.

But I do wish they had left the human people off the front.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Oh ya more plastic to sit in a land field. :( Don't like!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal