Pony Talk > MLP Nirvana

Community veterans: How were nirvanas discovered?

(1/5) > >>

Cottononi:
The title might be pretty self-explanatory, but I might as explain myself a bit. The main reason I got back into MLP is the fascinating world of nirvana ponies. While I might not collect them myself, the mysteries and theories (yes, I make them sound really dramatic for some reason...) surrounding them can keep me interested for a long time. More than once have I found myself going through arena archives reading about new pony finds and the community's theories.

I'm not an expert by any means but I do know the basics, like what ponies were made in which country and what traits are typical for each nirvana type. But what really hit me the other day is that I have no clue how the first non-china/HK ponies were brought to the community and how they were received. I remember reading that at least Spanish piggys and Columbians were first considered fakies. If there is any old time collectors who were around that time, would you like to enlighten the curious me a bit? What countries were discovered first and how did you come to conclusion that they were indeed a Hasbro licensed product?

Reading about this stuff is something I enjoy so if you want to write a little bit longer answer I'd be happy to read it, but I do understand that posting pony history isn't the highest priority in anyone's life so I'm thankful for all answers I get.

lovesbabysquirmy:
People found them in carboot sales or flea markets in UK/Europe. Obviously ponies were bought on holidays! 
Warehouses of old store stock found in wholesale in South America.
Collectors in other countries
Collectors who knew Hasbro had a MLP presence in those countries

Prince_Sunbeam:
Ooh, what a fascinating thread. Im excited to hear who chimes in. Im merely an uninformed Nirvana admirer  :P

Mewtwofan1:
I don’t own any nirvana ponies, but this thread does seem quite interesting. I would imagine in the early days, knowledge of nirvana ponies spread probably through primitive forums/internet, word of mouth and people visiting other places and purchasing those ponies, old has to factory workers who saw the nirvanas, etc. There might be nirvana ponies still undiscovered! Oh imagine if one was found!

pinkkittywinks:
Many people had nirvana ponies as their childhood ponies :) if you lived in the countries that the ponies were made in or exported to, they would be your usual pony.

Nirvana ponies were only really "discovered" when collectors started meeting up and the internet appeared bringing collectors together.

Long before everyone had camera phones people used to share descriptions :P

I am trying to think back and I am pretty sure Nirvana ponies were just referred to as international variants or something similar or simply variants. Someone who round in the 90's would know or remember (Taffeta!), I didn't join the community until 2003, so the term Nirvana (a term which was coined by JLM then nirvana mod) was already in use.

Love pkw xxx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version