collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why are rare g4 ponies considered to be so rare??  (Read 3365 times)

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
Why are rare g4 ponies considered to be so rare??
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »
So I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but I wanted to know why the g4 rare ponies ( the brushable singles released early in the line like Cupcake, Feathermay, Honeybuzz ) are considered to be so rare and sell for a bit more. I can understand why exclusives would be pricey but not so much with the singles. Was it just because they became limited in quantity or became popular as they were non canon? Did someone just start selling them for more and then eventually everyone did the same...lol. I know that they weren't always that expensive.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Why are rare g4 ponies considered to be so rare??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
Never be afraid to ask questions. :) I’m not a G4 expert but I’m pretty sure the reason those ponies are more sought after is for a couple of reasons. They’re not the Mane 6 characters which are constantly rereleased and they were only released once. In the early G4 days there was a better balance of non Mane 6 releases vs Mane 6 releases.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
They’re not the Mane 6 characters which are constantly rereleased and they were only released once. In the early G4 days there was a better balance of non Mane 6 releases vs Mane 6 releases.
Yeah, I miss those earlier g4 releases and you're right that being non mane 6 made them so popular. I can imagine how annoyed everyone is of getting a hundred rereleases of pinkie pie  ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:11:28 PM by fanime5 »

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
I believe it's because they weren't as popular in stores because most people just wanted the Mane 6 ponies rather than some ponies nobody knew anything about, and this led to them being more uncommon in the collecting community. Plus they stand out against all of the Mane 6 ponies.

So basically they're more sought-after because they aren't the same six ponies we always get.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »
I wonder how much of it is actual rarity, and how much of it is just being that one release. Like, are there just as many Twilight Sparkles with forelocks, or TaF Pinkie Pies (the CMM release I realize there's a lot that would count as that) as there are Honeybuzz?
They are certainly considered "rare" because they were released about 7 years ago and are one-off releases, though.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
I believe it's because they weren't as popular in stores because most people just wanted the Mane 6 ponies rather than some ponies nobody knew anything about, and this led to them being more uncommon in the collecting community. Plus they stand out against all of the Mane 6 ponies
Wow. I never thought of that theory before.  :P Seems legit because the at the time the collection community was probably taking interest in the main ponies of the "new generation" rather than the now rare ones.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »
Hm. I'm not sure if they are rare, but they are higher in price because of a demand. (mind you -- If I see 11 ponies listed on ebay, I won't consider it rare. Just my own thought on what rare means. I wait for things that take years to show up on ebay. ^^; ). They were released in the first few years /and/ they are non-mane6. Not everyone was a fan of the show yet and collecting them. So it creates more of a demand to get them after the wave was over.

That said, FS Applejack was a mane6 character and was very much in demand since she was released in the first FS wave (2010? 2011?)... and then not released for many years later with the proper hair color. She would easily go for $70+ all day long till at least 2014 (but even then, that release had pink hair). Now her price has certainly plummeted because no demand.

I believe it's because they weren't as popular in stores because most people just wanted the Mane 6 ponies rather than some ponies nobody knew anything about, and this led to them being more uncommon in the collecting community. Plus they stand out against all of the Mane 6 ponies.
I thought they were harder to find when they were released... I would go to many stores within a 30mi radius and non mane 6 were sold out, (or I would buy the remainder and they'd be sold out :P ) and the mane 6 were always on the shelves.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
That said, FS Applejack was a mane6 character and was very much in demand since she was released in the first FS wave (2010? 2011?)... and then not released for many years later with the proper hair color. She would easily go for $70+ all day long till at least 2014 (but even then, that release had pink hair). Now her price has certainly plummeted because no demand.
So I guess it depends on the amount of releases.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:46:49 PM by fanime5 »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »
So I guess it depends on the amount of releases.

Yep :) Her first release was nice two forelocks, and accessories. The 2014 wave had pink tone in her hair (and I can't recall if she was in even the US?).. but so not quite the same... ya know?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
I wonder how much of it is actual rarity, and how much of it is just being that one release. Like, are there just as many Twilight Sparkles with forelocks, or TaF Pinkie Pies (the CMM release I realize there's a lot that would count as that) as there are Honeybuzz?
They are certainly considered "rare" because they were released about 7 years ago and are one-off releases, though.

I agree, we will never know (unless Hasbro tells us, and they won't) how many actual units of pony were made in those releases.
What we do know for certain, is the bolded above. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
An example for no rarity and being released once is Cherry Berry. Wasn't she not worth much when loose even before her pearlized release? Did being canon make her value less?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:02:55 AM by fanime5 »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 09:18:07 AM »
I think some of the 'rareness' has to also do with distribution. One pony I can think of that had really poor distribution was Star Dreams that came in a set with AJ. I don't know if they really did a re-release of her. Some of the ponies were only found in certain countries (or at least a variation of them... I think Glimmer Wings were in US and some non-glimmer wing variations were found outside of the US). I never found the last wave of translucent ponies which had Sea Swirl and Meadow Flower...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
Maybe most of them aren't rare as much as they are highly sought after? Other then that yes, Hasbro's distribution is sucky at the best of times, and they did make some of these sets and ponies a pain and a half to get, aside from the umpeenth version of the mane suxx I mean.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:29:27 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Maybe most of them aren't rare as much as they are highly sought after?
It kind of makes sense because for example, diamond rose was released twice and probably her color scheme made her really popular and highly sought after thus making her sell expensively.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
An example for no rarity and being released once is Cherry Berry. Wasn't she not worth much when loose even before her pearlized release? Did being canon make her value less?

It's about how many people want her. And she has less demand...

I passed her up in stores because I thought she was boring.

ETA: even if something is "rare" that doesn't mean people want it.. and with no demand = lower price.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:51:35 AM by banditpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal