collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who was the G4 Sweetie Blue Prototype?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the G4 Sweetie Blue Prototype?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
Guys, you're arguing over semantics, here. The thread's about Sweetie Blue, not what exact terminology we should be using for her. :/ Take it to a different thread or settle down already.

Going back on topic... I believe OP asked for some pics of her? :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have no idea when she first turned up on Taobao (I bought mine from another collector a few years ago). I know she was one of the earlier Taobao oddballs. AFAIK she was never officially sold, the only reason we know her name is that she was sold as a blind bag. No idea about worth (I'm not a valuer) but I'll say that mine is probably the most expensive pony in my collection (or the second-most expensive).

I think she's probably popular because she's a unique character! The other Taobao oddballs are all (or mostly) hybrids (like the Trixie/Fluttershy/Rarity hybrid in my sig, "Holly Blue"), alternate hairs, missing paint details, etc. Stuff like that. Sweetie Blue is the only one I can think of that is an entirely original character. (I could be forgetting someone, of course; I'm not an expert on Taobao oddballs. Ooh - I guess there is the yellow unicorn baby, too. But we don't know who she is or if she was meant to be her own character..)

Personally I do think she was intended for release but just... was not, for whatever reason. She's too specific and too "final" to be just some factory workers messing around, or a mistake, or whatever. I've heard the theory that she was made for Hasbro workers and some ended up on Taobao, but I don't know where that story came from, or if its true.
Thank you carrehz, that's just beautiful and exactly what I wanted to know! I wonder how much of her there is in the world... :blush: She truly is unique because she looks like her own character and it's such a shame that she never was released. There was an auction actually selling her a while back with ridiculous pricing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Little-Pony-g4-Sweetie-Blue-Prototype-Original-Hasbro-2010-RARE-/111937283807?hash=item1a0ffb66df&nma=true&si=irXuX0eTAivjVL300mtYgyfAeLI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 I never have seen the yellow unicorn for sale though.. Do you recall how much you bought Sweetie Blue for at the time? ( I want to compare prices)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:08:09 AM by fanime5 »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »
I don't know if collectors will ever know the answer to this, unless someone at Hasbro tells us.  And think of how obscure some of the knowledge from toylines gets, from what we have seen on that show The Toys That Made Us.  Sometimes it's only like, ONE person who knows the answer to some question we all have.  And any of the marketing and communications people, IF IF IF they knew, would not really be permitted to share this information.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »
I never have seen the yellow unicorn for sale though.. Do you recall how much you bought Sweetie Blue for at the time? ( I want to compare prices)

Well, I don't like talking exact figures (in general, I mean, not just for Sweetie... plus tbh I'm not sure of the exact price I paid off-hand anyway, lol), but it was much much MUCH less than the crazy price that auction was asking for ;) I love ponies and all but there's no way in heck I'd pay four figure prices for 'em.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
Do you recall how much you bought Sweetie Blue for at the time? ( I want to compare prices)

I'd say don't compare prices to what people "ask" for on ebay. But expect at the very least she'd be worth a few hundred dollars minimum...  I think she has some demand/interest. So that will always keep her price up.

The youtube link I mentioned a private auction from 2014 and while the final price wasn't mentioned, it at least shows a price that someone was willing to pay.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal