collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popples for Bushwoolies?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Popples for Bushwoolies?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
XD 'chaotic neutral Care Bears' is probably the best description of Popples I've come across.  Accurate.
I had Puzzle Popple as a kid and he was great - plush version of a chain mace when you whipped him around by his tail. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 01:11:55 AM »
Here in The Netherlands those fuzzballs with feet where called Wuppies and I remember they where around Carnaval (40 days before Easter, the fasting time of the Catholic Church) and everyone had those critters on their costume or hats!
A Dutch singer (Vader Abraham real name: Pierre Kartner) even made a song about them translated *We are The Wuppies* here in The Netherlands, but he had many songs made with the Wuppies in Germany!!!!
Here is a link to a German song:
Father Abraham had Seven Sons / Seven Wuppies! :-)))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCUp-sUxIew
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
Here in The Netherlands those fuzzballs with feet where called Wuppies and I remember they where around Carnaval (40 days before Easter, the fasting time of the Catholic Church) and everyone had those critters on their costume or hats!
A Dutch singer (Vader Abraham real name: Pierre Kartner) even made a song about them translated *We are The Wuppies* here in The Netherlands, but he had many songs made with the Wuppies in Germany!!!!
Father Abraham also sings Smurf Songs... fa la la la la off topic.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline amanda34

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
Hello thanks to everyone for explaining what popples are! :) Ok so now i'm in love with them too, and have added them to my MUST FIND list!! I love the photo's they just help me to fall in love even more. :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
I'm actually surprised some folk in the UK don't remember these. My sister had one or two when she was younger and we used to see them at carboot sales. Definitely called Popples here too. I don't remember the animation though. I think I have seen the little ones, and I can totally see them as fluffly Bushwoolies xD.

Those other things - the fluffballs with feet etc - these are really common as marketing ploys still in the UK. We used to have them at my library years ago for different promotions so I have a small family of them on my noticeboard (things like blood donation and stuff like that) but I have also seen them much more recently as well. They often have feed or other features too. They're so cute xD. I never thought about them as bushwoolies either, but now, thinking about it, I can so see that as well. I have one sitting on my computer tower next to a blindbag pony and a MH mini and it's about the same height, with big googly eyes and it does kind of scream 'bushwoolie' at me...

Great imagination :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »

Yes thats true!!!! Pierre is a famous Dutch songwriter also!
And we had in those times also Dennie Cristianie (SP?) with the Marsupulamie!!!! A yellowish with black stripes stripfigure with a very long tail!!!
But I do not know if this strips where also available in America...
*Sigh...bring back so many memories from my childhood...*

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
The puffballs with feet were called Weebiles in my area.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 01:13:28 AM »
I'm actually surprised some folk in the UK don't remember these. My sister had one or two when she was younger and we used to see them at carboot sales. Definitely called Popples here too. I don't remember the animation though. I think I have seen the little ones, and I can totally see them as fluffly Bushwoolies xD.

I think I'm too young to remember Popples :blush:. I might have seen them second-hand but not known what they were.

I do know about the fluffy things with feet! I remember at the end of 1999 they were everywhere, and they were called Millennium Bugs :lol:. I don't know what they are called now. Last time I saw them was a couple of years ago, I got a yellow one with propellors on it for donating to an Air Ambulance charity. Helicopter Bushwoolie :lol:.

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 01:20:42 AM »

Yes thats true!!!! Pierre is a famous Dutch songwriter also!
And we had in those times also Dennie Cristianie (SP?) with the Marsupulamie!!!! A yellowish with black stripes stripfigure with a very long tail!!!
But I do not know if this strips where also available in America...
*Sigh...bring back so many memories from my childhood...*
Without comprehension of Dutch or knowing Father Abraham, seeing bushwoolies actually leap upon fenceposts and carol like overstuffed songbirds... have to confess the puppets inspire an itch to intentionally spook my little ponies... :dance: :drunk:
Tried to look it up to understand better if they were religeous but just found a lot of stuff about school fundraisers so I appologize if there's a larger context of which I am ignorant.
XD 'chaotic neutral Care Bears' is probably the best description of Popples I've come across.  Accurate.
I had Puzzle Popple as a kid and he was great - plush version of a chain mace when you whipped him around by his tail. 
Ever since Khoufu said it I have had this image stuck in my head of Grumpy bear saying... "You aren't grumpy, you aren't cheerful, and you don't need a friend... sorry kids welcome to the Care Bear bureaucracy... you might call the Popples if you dare... because we cannot help you until your birthday..."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:40:11 AM by Loreofyore »

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 03:47:29 AM »
love the idea = yes I wish that they had made a fluffy/plush bushwoolies instead of the plastic  version as companion :-)

cute pic ;-) looks like a fun play date

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 07:12:16 AM »
Hmmmm somewhere I have pictures of my Popple collection. They were my favorite as a kid because nobody got in trouble romping around the house with them in ball form.

I STILL need Putter - the smaller green one.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »

I think I'm too young to remember Popples :blush:. I might have seen them second-hand but not known what they were.

They made a small comeback around 2003ish, and now they have a mediocre Netflix show, but it's entirely possible the merch didn't make it to your area or it didn't catch your attention.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
fun idea!
i have a little white popple that size!

The white one is Puffball, she hates getting dirty but likes playing practical jokes. XD

They made a small comeback around 2003ish, and now they have a mediocre Netflix show, but it's entirely possible the merch didn't make it to your area or it didn't catch your attention.

Urg that new show makes me cringe. I was a HUGE fan of the cartoon in the 80's. I made my dad tape them all off the TV. The Popples were always concerned with having fun, but also with helping their friends! I especially love the episodes where they try to make Billy unafraid of the dentist by going along with him to have his teeth cleaned and they trash the dentist office, and the one where Billy doesn't want to take out the trash so they build a GIANT machine in the backyard to transport the trash to the bins...which blows up and creates a giant mess in the backyard. (Okay so all the episodes had the same plot, in which the Popples' human friends have some issue, the Popples try to help and make a giant mess, and then they have to clean it all up by the end before anyone else arrives and spots them.)

-walks off muttering- The new Popples don't even have names that start with 'P' I just don't understand it...
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
fun idea!
i have a little white popple that size!

The white one is Puffball, she hates getting dirty but likes playing practical jokes. XD

I especially love the episodes where they try to make Billy unafraid of the dentist by going along with him to have his teeth cleaned and they trash the dentist office, and the one where Billy doesn't want to take out the trash so they build a GIANT machine in the backyard to transport the trash to the bins...which blows up and creates a giant mess in the backyard. (Okay so all the episodes had the same plot, in which the Popples' human friends have some issue, the Popples try to help and make a giant mess, and then they have to clean it all up by the end before anyone else arrives and spots them.)

-walks off muttering- The new Popples don't even have names that start with 'P' I just don't understand it...

Puffball has always been my favorite cuz I like white. I like her voice impressions.

The trash episode is my favourite to tell people about as an example of what Popples do. It's not a complex show but it's always fun and it doesn't have a huge amount of episodes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal