collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is the forum dying?  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Is the forum dying?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
I don't use Facebook or Whatsapp (owned by Facebook) for the abovementioned reasons and some others o my own. Ebay has it's problems. I'd much rather buy and sell on here however I've had the same ad in my sig for a year and no-one can help. I think my needs are a bit more on the specific side.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
I really enjoy forums, maybe it's the way the internet was when I grew up but I feel this is a very nice communication system.

I come to the Arena everyday because I like the discussions and the in-depth knowledge that is shared all the time. Very unique and sometimes esoteric topics come up sometimes. There's also well managed swaps and art activities.

I go to FB and Instagram when I want to see some brags, hauls or pics quickly. There's no discussion or really useful information shared. I have to see "what are these ponies names and value?" And "what is cancer, does my pony have it?" Everyday on the FB groups. It's not topics that draw me in.

In general I feel like the internet has become shallow, profiteering and homogeneous. So I like how creative and unique the Arena remains.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
SaraMari - don't forget all the "is this pony a Hasbro pony?" question 10 times a day XD Not to be disrespectful - we've all been new to collecting, but facebook groups can be grating imo.

The forum isn't going to die so long as people keep coming here and posting. It's not going to just die suddenly one day, and I really don't think it has slowed down to the point where it's close to dying. Again, it's in the middle of Holiday season, and it's always slow around this time.

Also, this might just be me, but I don't find it a hassle to upload photos to the Arena. Photobucket does work again (if you can deal with the huge watermarks), Flickr works, Imgur(? is that the one?), dA Stash.... and nowadays a lot of them have apps too so it's not really an issue when posting from your phone either. For me, I don't feel like it's more difficult than a few years ago? I mean sure, it's easier uploading directly to your post on fb for instance, but I don't know... I prefer this format, and I guess it just doesn't bother me ^^'

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 04:50:41 AM »
I sure hope this forum doesn't go anywhere, I love it here! Even though it may not be quite as active as social media platforms, I think the arena serves its own purpose by being a good place to have in depth discussions. I follow a couple pony pages on Facebook, but I never interact much with them because I never see any really interesting discussions happening.
I'm just not a fan of social media in general though, especially Facebook. I like that the arena allows me to keep some level of anonymity. It's not that I'm embarrassed about collecting ponies, in fact pretty much everyone I know knows to some level that I like My little Pony, but it's just so nice to be able to post on here and not have every family member, friend, or co-worker I know see what I'm posting about. Sometimes you need a space away from your normal social circle! The sense of community here is also way stronger than on any social media platform!
Also, I love that the forum layout shows most recent topics first! Not to get off topic but why on earth do Facebook and Instagram think I want to see my feed in whatever jumbled order their algorithm thinks is best?? If I ask for most recent posts first that's really what I want to see!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
I sincerely hope the forum doesn't die because I think it was hugely instrumental in my recovery from a mental breakdown  :huh: The idea that Facebook might have been an an alternative 'safe space' for that kind of situation is laughable really.

I sure hope this forum doesn't go anywhere... Sometimes you need a space away from your normal social circle! The sense of community here is also way stronger than on any social media platform!

Definitely!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »
I think, along with other social media, the fact that G4 is trailing off is another reason for less activity here on the forum.  I imagine that when the next generation of toys and show is debuted that there will be another influx of users, just like what happened with the release of FiM. 

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
The arena has slowed down in the past several years. It's due to various things, not just Facebook even though that does factor in. Some of the big MLP people that were on these forums have moved to other hobbies or life gets in the way.

I got to say though... personally for me I don't post as much here any more because I hate posting unfinished work on any place but FB. However, a couple of years ago I did a little experiment with my own pony art/customs that were completed. I found it highly discouraging to post here when I only got 3 comments out of 100+ views compared to posting to groups on FB and getting a higher reaction from the user base.

But my little scenario there also applies to other places. People will go to where there is more of a chance to get some sort of interaction. And when MLP picks up again, the forum may pick up again as well.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2018, 01:44:19 AM »
To be honest, we are letting in more and more members daily! However, since the Brony sensation has died down, the forums are a little quieter.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Loreofyore

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2018, 06:14:59 AM »
 :awake: Like the letter press and the typewriter old fashioned ways to communicate would still flourish with certain crowds. Also, life gets busy, people come and go, and then come back now and then on the forum. In ancient MLP archive times when G3 was big I used to be Elecorn here going through my second pony childhood (G1 to G3).
 I wish I could find my old posts to better remember the folk whom I used to talk to instead of just thinking again and again... 'that alias sounds familiar...', but the feeling here is the same, that's all I can say. And yeah, there's definately something uplifting about playing with your unicorns with other grown kids you don't even know out there in a safe corner of cyberspace.
Facebook is always going to be more intense because it doesn't really account for how you'd like to use it only what kind of traffic it can drive. If that errodes to bullying facebook rarely steps in. I think moderated forums are always going to have groups of users who want them to stick around, and cool little niche communities like this one.

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »
I'm not a super active poster, I mainly lurk, but I really enjoy going back through the search function and looking at all of the old threads when there isn't much new activity. I still like this place a lot better than mlptp, and feel this is a broader collecting community, as most mlp forums these days are G4-focused. Here I can see threads on all gens!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »
I don't think it's dying at all. A little quieter, maybe, but as others have said - online communities in general tend to slow down around this time of year (I know I've been MIA from here for like 2 weeks because I've been busy with other stuff and just haven't had the time to have a proper read through all the new threads!), social media has spirited most people away (I hate social media.. especially Failbook :shakefist:)... People just don't seem to really use forums, these days. I've seen other communities for new shows, toys, etc try and make forums for them, and they just don't go anywhere. You just can't start new forums and get a good community going like you used to be able to.

Another thing to remember is, the brony fad is pretty much over these days thank god so we're not seeing a constant influx of them, and also, MLP in general is a bit quiet right now. I'd bet we'll get more members in when/if G5 comes 'round and there's a new influx of fans pouring into the fandom and trying to find out new stuff about MLPs.

Is the forum dying? Nah. Is it quieter? Maybe, but.. idk. I haven't noticed it being particularly quiet compared to previous years I've been on here. Although like I said, I've been away from the Arena for most of this month so maybe I just missed on some quietness ^^;;
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:15:33 AM by Carrehz »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »
I find it is quieter this time of year due to travel to be with frineds and family during holidays.

Offline Loreofyore

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
I'm not a super active poster, I mainly lurk, but I really enjoy going back through the search function and looking at all of the old threads when there isn't much new activity. I still like this place a lot better than mlptp, and feel this is a broader collecting community, as most mlp forums these days are G4-focused. Here I can see threads on all gens!
Truly awesome fakie pinterest you've got there Glitter Yolk! You ought to post it more prominently to the fakie appreciation thread! :biggrin:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Nearly every website, group or forum I use is quieter at this time of the year. I don't think it's anything to worry about!

Like other people, I don't really use facebook or social media in general, so I'd hate to see the arena go. This is the only forum I still visit on a regular basis, even if I don't always post (which is mostly because I don't collect ponies like I used to). I'm hoping that when we finally get G5, we'll see more posts again.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
If we're dead that can only mean one thing:

ZOMBIE PONY PARTY!!!!
 :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal