collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is the forum dying?  (Read 11139 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Is the forum dying?
« on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »
Hey guys is it just me of is the forum dying?
Seems to be less people around.
Maybe facebook is to blame?
:accomplished:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Is the forum dying?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »
Right before Christmas is always slow online. 

But yes there has been a massive exodus to social media recently.
Not good since buying/selling/trading now has little repercussion.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:07 PM »
I also think it’s a little slower around Christmas but the Arena is still active and a fun place to be. :) I’m usually here everyday but sometimes don’t have time to post as much as I’d like to.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
Nah, the Arena's decently active. It is probably less so than normal at the moment because of the holidays though.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
I hope not? I like it much better here than on social media.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
     I don’t think it’s dying. The arena, as long as there are ponies, cannot die. Is probably due to the holidays. People are spending more time than usual with family than on the arena. This happens every year.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
I wouldn't say the Arena is dying, but I do think MLP collectors have diversified onto other platforms to the extent where it's not "the center of the collecting world" anymore.

Which is a good thing, because you don't want to have everyone on one platform, in case it goes down.  You never know what life will bring.

I do think forums in general are a dying breed, and the ones that are surviving are the ones that have a large userbase from when they were at their height.  It would be very hard to start a new forum and get it to gain users and stay active.  I think people in general are moving away from "one thing" specific sites.  Like, they would rather join a Facebook group about stamp collecting than join a stamp collecting forum.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
Nope.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
I never noticed that much of a change. I think I also agree about places slow down too during the holiday rush.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:18 PM »
Lady Moondancer nailed it pretty well!
Definitely blaming the holidays for the slowness, too. Although it's certainly livelier here than other places I've seen.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
I hope the Arena is around for many, many moons.  I love FB and am in a number of groups but it's just so hard to keep track of topics, finds posts etc.  This is so much easier in a forum.

It's a pretty great group in here I'd say with no drama.   It's a feel good place to be.  <3

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
I've noticed it has slowed down recently but echoing what others are saying here, I think it's temporary.

I know I've been active quite a bit less because I'm moving in a month and won't be able to take my ponies with me right away, they will be safely boxed up and stored at my mother's for a few months and I'm really going to miss them. :( I've been withdrawing from pony stuff ever so slightly just so I won't be so sad when I have to leave them. Ice Crystal is going to come with me but I'll miss the rest of my little ponies in the meantime! It'll be okay, I had to do it once before and was without them for two years... Our love will never die, they'll return to me! 17 years together, they always do! xD

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 11:11:40 PM »
I don't think it's dying (I certainly hope not) but yes I agree it has very much slowed and I think FB is totally to blame.

A couple of years ago this place was really busy, everything from the corral to sales, but I think people are more inclined to share pics/comment on facebook now. It's what I've noticed, anyway. I think it's much easier (just generally speaking - I'm not speaking of behalf of everyone!) for someone to hit a 'like' button on fb than make a personal, meaningful comment, which is part of the charm here.

I personally find all the fb pony groups hard to keep up with although the reach, because of the high migration, when you need a quick answer or ID sometimes is just (sadly) easier there now. Comments here in that regard are sometimes like getting blood out of a stone I've noticed.

I wish is wasn't so, because the arena has always been my favourite pony home  :sad:  And I miss a lot of the mods who used to comment frequently, particularly in the corral. Where did you guys go?  :what:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
Seems fine to me?  But I don't frequent FailBook, or any other social media platforms.  Not interested in being the product.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 01:11:16 AM »
I don't think it's dying (I certainly hope not) but yes I agree it has very much slowed and I think FB is totally to blame.

A couple of years ago this place was really busy, everything from the corral to sales, but I think people are more inclined to share pics/comment on facebook now. It's what I've noticed, anyway. I think it's much easier (just generally speaking - I'm not speaking of behalf of everyone!) for someone to hit a 'like' button on fb than make a personal, meaningful comment, which is part of the charm here.

I personally find all the fb pony groups hard to keep up with although the reach, because of the high migration, when you need a quick answer or ID sometimes is just (sadly) easier there now. Comments here in that regard are sometimes like getting blood out of a stone I've noticed.

I wish is wasn't so, because the arena has always been my favourite pony home  :sad:  And I miss a lot of the mods who used to comment frequently, particularly in the corral. Where did you guys go?  :what:
i feel the same way... no idea what's going on over at facebook and i've only done like.. a few things in one group. i'll stick here, even if it's slower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal