collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to tell a BUTTONS PONY is the NSS UK version or only a deflocked ? and PC  (Read 2404 times)

Offline ponindepedenza!

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I have a BUTTONS with three buttons as a symbol.
I'm not sure if it is the NSS version or if it is a deflocked pony.
How can I be sure, is there a difference, in markings, on symbols etc... ?
Also, can I have a price check on the NSS one ?
Thanks for your help.

Here are some pics :
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
This might sound a bit silly, but have a look between the roots of her hair for any flocking that may of been missed when she's been deflocked. I think sometimes it might be hard to tell if the previous owner has done a good job with deflocking her :)

I'm going to take a guess and say it's the UK version, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:54:16 AM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
She is a nss version I have the same one

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Considering your location it's more likely the Non So Soft version. Also apparently the white spots are placed slightly differently in NSS and So Soft versions, or so I assume based on My Little Wikis pictures, wich still supports she is the non so soft one.

Offline ponindepedenza!

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I don't see any flocking left anywhere.
I'm going to check the white holes on my little wiki it is an interesting fact.
thanks for your help.
any idea of a value for the NSS version ?

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
I think SS ponies were only distributed as NSS all over Europe. I guess we could say SS are "America exclusives" or something.
Well, don't take my words for granted, that's just my own theory, as I've never seen a SS in the wild around here. But again, I've not seen every gimmick in the wild yet so there's still a chance it would be a simply about time until I find one.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Also I don't think most people would even bother deflocking a So-Soft if a NSS version exists, unless there's some difference between them.  (Like: if they want a Surprise with painted symbols, since the NSS has glitter symbols.  Or they want Wind Whistler with all pink whistles.)

In particular if you find a pony secondhand, it's unlikely to be deflocked.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I think SS ponies were only distributed as NSS all over Europe. I guess we could say SS are "America exclusives" or something.
Well, don't take my words for granted, that's just my own theory, as I've never seen a SS in the wild around here. But again, I've not seen every gimmick in the wild yet so there's still a chance it would be a simply about time until I find one.

I think they had So Softs in Italy, but I haven't heard of them elsewhere in Europe.

@Ponindepenza, If found in France, it's likely it was never flocked and is technically a Cine-Star Pony (released in 1986/7 to tie in with the MLP Movie). I don't know a lot about prices, but I see one sold on eBay last month for about £15.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:11:09 AM by Shaz »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I wish people wouldn't call them NSS ponies. They're Movie Star/Cine-Star Ponies, not non-versions of a US release.

On topic, this is actually interesting because...

I don't know whether the large button version was sold in France. But I would say from the photos she looks like she comes from the movie set, and isn't a deflock. So perhaps that's a good indication that the one with the three buttons was sold in France as well as the UK. Up till now I've only heard of them being found here - and there is a conspiracy theory group somewhere on the internet suggesting all versions with large buttons are deflocks, even though that's frankly ridiculous. I used to find the large button one and the buttons and stars one here at carboot sales with pretty good frequency in the 1990s. It seems unlikely (given that we didn't have SS ponies here) that all those 30 or 40 Buttons's were perfectly deflocked and then sold for 50p or 10p or whatever at a carboot sale...;)

But I didn't know she was also in France. It does make sense though. I think it's confirmed that only buttons and stars was sold in the Scandinavian release, but they also didn't have stickers. French ones did have stickers, so maybe they are from different batches.

If I had one I would consider her being around a $15ish pony. Depending on her condition.

@LM, I have seen deflocked Buttons and Gusty from that set on EBay...but I agree it seems a bit of a waste of energy...

Italy did have SS ponies. Pretty sure about that. I...am not certain about other places. There are rumours...all I can say for sure is not the UK. But if people in other places don't see them much either, probably they are just rumours and not based in fact.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
I wish people wouldn't call them NSS ponies. They're Movie Star/Cine-Star Ponies, not non-versions of a US release.

I thought the UK release didn't have an actual name...? NSS is every bit as legitimate a name as "Movie Star", lol. People can call 'em what they want.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
I still like to call them NSS because it's straight-forward and easy to remember. If someone ask me about Movie Star ponies, I might actually think they are asking about Firefly or some other pony in one of the cartoons. It may not be an accurate abbrev but the average collecting people "get it".

The Buttons in the pic looks like a regular NSS release and not a deflocked. Deflockeds normally have some wear at the neck because of the concentration of glue that was there, no matter how well done, I don't think they will ever look that clean like this one around the neck. Also, the head on this one looks sealed, a deflocked one, the neck head will need to be removed to get rid of the glue. I'd also like to think in most cases, the SS ponies are made with more intense colours, because of how the colours need to be seen through the fur. There are few exceptions to the rule, but generally seems to be the case. I think Buttons and Posey more or less look about the same SS or NSS. SS Buttons is prone to glue discolouring to brown, so chances are if she was deflocked she'd display flaws like light brown patch, or the whole pony is slightly off colour. Not super obvious but small little things that says they're "off".

I wouldn't say I'd deflock SS Wind Whistler just for pink whistles, because the SS and NSS pony are fundamentally different colours. If you deflock Wind Whistler, she is more like a coral blue underneath, almost to the effect of Sweetpop, and not powder blue like the Euro version. My next target is Heart Throb because she seems a darker pink and no wings for symbol. Recently deflocked a Surprise - love her!

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile

I thought the UK release didn't have an actual name...? NSS is every bit as legitimate a name as "Movie Star", lol. People can call 'em what they want.

As it happens, they were marketed to stores as movie ponies in the UK too. The Argos catalogue from 1986 has Wind Whistler listed as a movie pony, so that was the proper official marketing tool for this set even in the UK. Although even if the term Cinestar is french, one look at the packaging for the set demonstrates that they are Movie Star ponies. The cards say it explicitly (top left bubble).

And even if they didn't, the artwork on the card demontrates it beyond all doubt.

Just because the insert only calls them My Little Pony doesn't make them any less movie star or movie ponies.

And even if there wasn't this paper trail, there's even less evidence that they were marketed as non-versions of a pony set sold in another country, so that makes your argument academic anyway. Clearly this is a more valid term of labelling. And as it happens, the movie star term is widely used in European packaging, so unless you are saying European countries don't count because they're not in English, that adds even more weight to the validity of movie star as a set name. The OP in this thread is in France, where the correct name is definitely Cine-Star. It seems like movie star is a fair bit more valid than NSS on every level.

NSS was a term that was derived in a time period when very little was known about MLP outside of the US. It had a use then. But we know more about ponies now. NSS doesn't differentiate between ponies sold in the UK and Europe and those sold in specific other places, such as Truly and Cupcake - it also doesn't differentiate between these two sets, and occasionally leads to crazy errors such as claims that "NSS" Paradise exists (when she doesn't). By knowing the right sets and knowing how they were actually sold, it's easier to not make the mistake that a pony exists when it does not. But that's just common sense. It shouldn't need to be stated.

Not to mention that terming ponies non-versions of ponies sold in the US because they happen to be different is frankly backwards. They are their own set, the set has a name, let's use it. If a gimmick is added to a pony then the pony is classified by that gimmick (BBE, SS, etc). Ponies shouldn't be classified by the absence of a gimmick. Unless we're going to start calling the original Sundance NSS NTAF, of course...in which case then NSS is clearly fine. (Ditto CJ, Posey...etc..) And while we're at it, let's call original Firefly non-movie Firefly. Just for clarity's sake, of course.

Within someone's own collection then obviously someone has the freedom to classify as they see fit. But on an open forum, it's a little different. People should have the proper information available to them, and that can only happen by people using the proper terms. If I want to call my Moondancer Bob, then I can do that. But if I start talking about her as Bob constantly on online websites, someone is going to get the impression Bob is her proper name...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:57:31 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
I love that Movie Star card. :lovey: Is that supposed to be the Moochick's house in the background on the back of the card?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I love that Movie Star card. :lovey: Is that supposed to be the Moochick's house in the background on the back of the card?

Ponyfan

I think so. 1987 has some really pretty cards in the UK but they really pushed the boat out with the movie star card. It's almost like they realised a little late that half these characters from the movie weren't sold here, so decided to make a thing out of it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
She doesn't look like a deflock to me.

Usually you can smell the chemicals used to remove the flocking, the plastic will feel rough or have very shiny patches, the symbols, eyes and blush loose some of their integrity, also often flocking gets left in the hoof marks and in the mane plugs.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal