collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyway to get rid of ground in dirt? (13/12/18 EDIT): Is this smooze?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
I've spotted a Peachy I'd like to buy someone for Christmas and everything looks perfect (No haircuts, symbol rub etc.) Except for some dirt on the legs of the pony. Is there anyway to get rid of this? Should I scrub her with a toothbrush?

Thank you in advance :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:00:42 AM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Anyway to get rid of ground in dirt?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
I've heard that soaking the pony in hot water and scraping her with a butter knife can help.  Caveat:  I have not tried this myself. :P

The toothbrush is also a good idea, that's one of my regular cleaning go-tos for ponies.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
I've heard that soaking the pony in hot water and scraping her with a butter knife can help.  Caveat:  I have not tried this myself. :P
Awesome, thank you! I'll test it out on a Blossom I have before I try it on Peachy :)

The toothbrush is also a good idea, that's one of my regular cleaning go-tos for ponies.
That's what I usually use for my ponies too and I did see results, I'll give both a try! :D
Thank you so much!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
Whatever you do, use hot water! It opens up the pores in the vinyl which makes it easier to get the dirt out. Butterknives work, and you could also use your fingernails or something else that can scrape. Personally, I wouldn't use the toothbrush because it probably won't scrape the dirt out well, but I've never tried it. Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »
Whatever you do, use hot water! It opens up the pores in the vinyl which makes it easier to get the dirt out. Butterknives work, and you could also use your fingernails or something else that can scrape. Personally, I wouldn't use the toothbrush because it probably won't scrape the dirt out well, but I've never tried it. Good luck!
Oh! I didn't know it did that, thanks Safflower! :)
I'll give the butterknife technique a go and I'll comment the results, I may use the tooth brush to give her a light wash, most of my ponies have been cleaned with a toothbrush XD

Thank you both! :hug:

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
soap helps too if it's being stubborn. and personally i've used one of those plastic thingies that come with hair removal cream to scrape out the dirt hah.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
Definitely: very hot water and liquid soap are your friends. I too use a knife for the scraping but here you must be careful. Don't use one with serrations of any kind as these create pressure points and can leave scratch marks on the pony. If you only have a serrated knife to use, then use the flat back side only. This is the one reason I chose a fish knife. The other was the useful point on the knife that can go into places (like ear creases) where it is more difficult for nails etc to get to. There is no need to rush out and buy a set of fish knives to fuel your pony obsession: they are pretty easy to find in thrift stores. They also work very well in assisting with deflocking a pony.

Here is mine:

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
Very hot water and a hard-bristled toothbrush (and soap) works, but it takes a lot of elbow grease :) I've never dared try the knife method. ^^'

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 03:35:07 AM »
Very hot water and a hard-bristled toothbrush (and soap) works, but it takes a lot of elbow grease :) I've never dared try the knife method. ^^'
Definitely: very hot water and liquid soap are your friends. I too use a knife for the scraping but here you must be careful. Don't use one with serrations of any kind as these create pressure points and can leave scratch marks on the pony. If you only have a serrated knife to use, then use the flat back side only. This is the one reason I chose a fish knife. The other was the useful point on the knife that can go into places (like ear creases) where it is more difficult for nails etc to get to. There is no need to rush out and buy a set of fish knives to fuel your pony obsession: they are pretty easy to find in thrift stores. They also work very well in assisting with deflocking a pony.

Here is mine:

soap helps too if it's being stubborn. and personally i've used one of those plastic thingies that come with hair removal cream to scrape out the dirt hah.

Thank you all :hug:
Peachy is on her way to me and should be arriving soon, I'm going to see how bad the dirt is first as the photos weren't the best quality lol.

@Shaiyeh
That's what I usually do with my ponies and I get decent results :) Haha I guess I could try the knife method on my Blossom, she's got the same problem as the Peachy but I haven't had much time to clean her properly :P

@NightGliderSA
Ah, thank you. Unfortunately I've only got butter knives with serrations so I'll have to use the flat side I'll double check though tonight just encase there's one hiding in the draw XD If not I can take a look at the weekend in the thrift stores if I'm out, I've got just under 2 weeks to get it sorted so I've still got a while :)

@bladed
Ah I know what you mean, I'm not sure if I own an hair removal cream but I'll have a check, if so I'll borrow the plastic thing out of it haha :)

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
She's been washed and scrubbed with soap and hot water and it's seems to have little effect  :cry:
Turns out that it's worse than I thought! Is this actually smooze?

If it is, my plan b is to swap the tails with my own Peachy (mine has a tail trim) and give her as the gift instead while treating this poor pony as bait, which is totally okay, there's plenty of Peachy out there!

EDIT: I don't know why I quoted my own comment XD
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:07:52 AM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Anyway to get rid of ground in dirt? (13/12/18 EDIT): Is this smooze?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »
Certainly looks like smooze. I've had little luck myself with inground dirt, but I figured that was just my being impatient.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
Those collector pose ponies are so prone to this stuff! :(

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 04:51:02 AM »
Certainly looks like smooze. I've had little luck myself with inground dirt, but I figured that was just my being impatient.

I stood in the bathroom for 20 mins scrubbing the poor pony, maybe I should of cleaned her for a bit longer? XD
It kinda sucks, but I've switched the tails around and have wrapped up my peachy instead, the poor smoozed one will probably become a custom one day haha.

Those collector pose ponies are so prone to this stuff! :(
I was reading that it's common for the collector pose ponies to get smooze. It really sucks :( I'll have to take a look at my Blossom, I'm hoping she's just got a bit of dirt one her lol

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
I agree with tealeaf, it is definitely smooze... Did you make sure to keep dunking her in hot water? You have to do so every few minutes, or else the pores won't be open and you can't get any dirt out. Also, what tool are you using?

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal