collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PSA: Bootleg items  (Read 1951 times)

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
PSA: Bootleg items
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
Hey everyone. I know some people will be shopping around for non-pony stuff this year, such as clothing, video games, and other accessories. I wanted to post something as a reminder for those buying on sites like ebay.

If you hadn't noticed or those who are a bit late, there has been an increasing number of bootleg/fake items and misleading prices being posted on ebay to catch bargain-hunting customers.

Bootleg Games:
This what brought me to come post here in the first place. There are many reproduction games for old consoles like SNES and Nintendo DS. A lot of them have crazy game packages (482 games in 1 cartridge) or hard-to-find sought after games (Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver). It may seem authentic, especially stickers like "Official Nintendo Seal" or trademarks on it. These labels can be easily produced and stuck on. It may look like you're getting a good deal, but in reality you're not. Console game systems have anti-piracy checks and can do a number of weird or cruel things...weird being taking stuff out of the game you cannot access...or deleting your saves right at the final boss of the game. Do your research on the seller or purchase from an official video game distributor.

Misleading prices:
There will be some listings on ebay that list a normally expensive item that goes for a few cents. When you click on the listing, you realize that what you're looking for isn't that price. When you look down at the list, you see something unrelated listed on the item...like a fidget spinner.

Some of those misleading prices lead to fake reproductions of items, like game controllers and equipment. Be on the lookout!

Fake Shoes and Apparel:
This has been recently on the news, if you haven't heard, $2 million dollars worth of fake Nike shoes were seized by Border Authorities in New York City. *Source https://solecollector.com/news/2018/12/nearly-2-million-worth-fake-nikes-seized *
To tell the difference if your Nikes are real or not, one of the easiest ways is matching SKU on the tongue of the shoe and on the shoebox.  Also, check out the official Nike site to see if they make that kind of shoe that is being advertised by the seller. Here is a site that helps you find more stuff on shoes: https://www.yournextshoes.com/spot-fake-nike-shoes/

With Superbowl coming close in USA, there will be also fake NFL apparel. There's even crazy sites where they specialize in fake stuff...and even naming them like "Original Fake." You can check out this site for spotting fake apparel and links to licensed sellers https://nflcheapskate.com/authentic-nfl-jersey.html .

TL;DR
-There are a lot of bootleg items for almost any category. Be on the lookout.
-Do your research to spot differences and on sellers.
-Cheaper isn't always better, and it's good to pay that extra couple dollars sometimes.

You can post here your recent findings on bootleg items that you think people may not know about.
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: PSA: Bootleg items
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:45:41 PM »
The game thing is a real problem. I fell foul of this some few years ago with a seller with counterfeit games. I proved that that's what they were and Ebay refunded me...but they first wanted me to return the items (rather than destroy them). Then when they agreed that returning them would be silly, they wouldn't let me leave negative feedback or even neutral (because the situation was 'resolved'). This was a seller selling lots of stuff like this...but they are probably still out there doing it now because ebay didn't do much about it :(

Really good to be cautious at this time of year especially.

I've also seen a couple of pony auctions I'm suspicious of. Hav ing been horribly burnt earlier this year by a photo stealer, I've noticed a few auctions in which I've previously seen the same photos but in these later auctions it's just one of the images rather than all of them...which raises a flag for me. And I have seen that in the MLP stuff, so just bid and buy with care, ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Always good info to keep in mind when shopping online.  Thanks!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
Another things to look for is where the item is coming from.  If it's a popular franchise and it's coming from China . . . probably a bootleg.

Also, does the seller have a suspicious number of the item?  Like, I just saw a seller who had 490 Alolan Vulpix plushies for sale.  I checked their feedback and sure enough, there were some comments complaining that the items they got "didn't match the photo" or "didn't seem genuine."
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal