collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Worried about a questionable buyer ... Brooke Kutik returns?  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Worried about a questionable buyer ... Brooke Kutik returns?
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
I've just started trying to get my sales going again (for Christmas shopping!), and I listed a bunch of ponies on an IG page so I could have an easy gallery for people to scroll through. I've received a couple nice PMs so far, and then I got a PM from a gal who wants to buy ALL of my ponies.

Like several dozen ponies, many of them doubles to boot. When I asked why, she said she 'loves to buy big lots at once' for her G3 collection, and alarm bells started going off. Why buy a ton of doubles for your collection? Added to the fact that she has about 4 photos on IG, and her URL includes 'Brooke', I started getting nervous.

Do we know where Brooke Kutik is living now, or if she's on IG? This gal might be totally legit, but I'm nervous about sending out a human-sized box of ponies and getting scammed for literally my entire G3 pony stock. I'm going to ask for feedback too (since this would be hundreds of dollars instead of the usual $5-10 sales), but I'm not sure how to avoid being scammed on a non-eBay site. Help?
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Worried about a questionable buyer ... Brooke Kutik returns?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
I would be nervous too...

I think Brooke is in FL but I am not sure. I'd ask for recent feedback and tell her the transaction would need to take place through Ebay or she needs to send payment in the form of a money order. (Even Ebay doesn't really offer protection from charge backs...)

If she agrees to money order, you'll need to cash it instead of deposit it. If it's a fake money order, they can't take it out of your account if you cash it. I think the Post Office cashes them...and some grocery stores.

Post Merge: November 30, 2018, 06:30:21 PM

And don't ship until you are certain the MO is legit
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lady.Arachnia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I, Myself, am Strange and Unusual...
    • View Profile
    • Boutique Gothique, Very Unique Gothic & Fantasy Wear & Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:07:40 AM »
Maybe ask to paypal the money as a friend??? Then they couldn't charge back the payment???? I hope she is a legit buyer afterall! X

Thank you Artists for Itsy Bitsy Spider Pony! xxx

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 04:18:07 AM »
Maybe ask to paypal the money as a friend??? Then they couldn't charge back the payment???? I hope she is a legit buyer afterall! X

I'm fairly sure if paid with a CC when using PPF&F -- you can do a charge back with your CC company

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:39:04 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback! I am a little nervous about asking her for a money order (since my info states 'Paypal only'), but I realize that I would rather risk myself looking like a jerk than getting scammed out of a few hundred dollars. :/ Of course I would send any package with tracking, but I'm not really trusting Paypal to have my back even with proof, either.

The feedback link she gave me was from a site called 'depop', which seems to be an online selling app; it may be that she plans to buy my doubles, fill out her collection, and then sell her doubles on there or elsewhere. That would be vastly preferable to being a scammer! (However, she only has 26 feedback, which I think may have been part of her MO - buy a few things, get nice feedback, then start scamming? Or am I mixing her up with another scammer?)

It looks like she's not in Florida, but elsewhere on the east coast, so it wouldn't be impossible that she's moved. Or, hopefully, an entirely different person also named Brooke! I'll keep you guys updated if anything gets hinky. :) Thank you all so much!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 05:29:26 AM »
Good luck.

Follow your gut feeling if you aren't feeling right about it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:00:31 AM »
Yep, if you feel "off" about the transaction... don't go through with it!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 03:24:54 AM »
What happened with this in the end?

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:24:19 AM »
What happened with this in the end?

I was wondering the same thing :awake:  did everything work out ok or did you decide not to go through with it?

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 03:29:40 AM »
It's funny you ask! I finally messaged her on Dec 7, after my last message (which basically said "you're gonna have to pay like, a LOT of shipping and I want a money order" on Dec 2), and said 'so I'll assume that you're not interested then?', since I figured she was just gonna scam me anyway, but I wanted to give her one last out. I also wasn't sure how to say "I'm pretty sure you're some kind of scammer," without being unkind. ;)

December 18th, 16 days after my message about a money order and 13 days after I asked if she had lost interest, she replied! "Is everything gone?" And immediately after, "I'm sorry I always forget about the message thing on here."

I responded the same day with "Not everything, maybe five or six G3's so far," and have received no further contact, although IG tells me she's 'seen' my reply. :rolleyes:

It could be possible that she's just a short-sighted kid; personally, if I'm considering making a $500+ purchase, I'm pretty invested in it! And her IG account doesn't scream 'more money than she knows what to do with', either, so it's not like she just 'forgets' who she's buying $500 in ponies from. So maybe she's a scammer who decided it wasn't worth the effort, maybe she's a kid who didn't think any deeper than her impulses took her, who knows? Either way, it's rude and time-wasting.

Slightly less thrilling than a Brooke Kutik saga should be, I guess! Sorry guys! ;) But I'd prefer it to end with a whimper instead of a bang!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »

Slightly less thrilling than a Brooke Kutik saga should be, I guess! Sorry guys! ;) But I'd prefer it to end with a whimper instead of a bang!

That's how we would like it to end too!  You scored a victory by dodging that transaction!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the update  :)  Good thing she backed off IMO , the whole thing sounded dodgy , so even though it's still annoying it's way better to have a bit of time wasted than to try and get through a transaction safely with someone like this :bigups: 

That's how we would like it to end too!  You scored a victory by dodging that transaction!

Yep , totally agree! :nod:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal