collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!  (Read 17038 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
It looks like "Be Prepared" made it in to the movie after all. It's on Youtube if anyone wants to listen.

Aladdin has never been one of my favorite Disney movies but I did enjoy the remake.

I'm not sure about the new Lion King remake.

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
I hate the "cartoons are for kids; live-action is for adults" stance so I'm living for all the negative talk for The Lion King. This was extremely unnecessary. The animals, from what I've seen from trailers, just look like real animals moving their mouths like a puppet, not even making look like they're *talking*. The colours are ugly. TLK was so vibrant and now it's just sand colours. And the concept of "Lion King with real animals" is flawed because the lions are so anthropomorphized. They sing and dance and even use their paws as hands. You can't do that with a real lion.

Unfortunately it won't mean a thing. People can call it worse than Food Fight or The Emoji Movie and it won't matter. It's going to do crazy. Disney is going to make so much money off this thing.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »
I hate the "cartoons are for kids; live-action is for adults" stance so I'm living for all the negative talk for The Lion King.

What grinds my gears is how this is still marketed as a "live action" somehow. It's just another cartoon, just photorealistic. Like the Na'Vi in Avatar, just without mocap.
Was that Disney marketing or was it people assuming they used real sets or real animals? It bothers me one way or the other.

Now Disney's Lady and the Tramp remake? That's live action. Real dogs with some CG enhanced talking mouths. I shamefully want to see that one, too, but it's gonna be on the new Disneyflix and like I said, I am not paying for these remakes. But I need to see two real dogs sensually eat one long spaghetto, ok? :lol:

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2019, 10:45:43 AM »
:|

That pretty much sums up the movie and how I feel about it.
TLK is very dear to me and I'm just... egh :P Not impressed.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2019, 11:38:56 AM »
I hate the "cartoons are for kids; live-action is for adults" stance so I'm living for all the negative talk for The Lion King.
Wanna know what I find hilarious? Thus far, ALL of the 2019 movie apparel I've seen has been for kids, and all of the adult clothing has featured their animated counterparts :P

Although this movie is the perfect example of why people shouldn't listen to early rumours. Hello, Be Prepared! Although I've heard it's really bad, and probably should have been cut anyway...

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »
I saw it. By tooooootally legal means  ;)

You can group me in with those who liked it but yes, it is exactly like in the trailers. And I agree with the critics.

Yes, Be Prepared is in it and it's only one minute. But that part was perfect for the scene it was in. You can hate it or love it but it fit the tone.

My main takeaway from the remake is that Shenzi is queen of my heart.
I would have loved to see less shot-for-shot stuff and a more interesting story. You miss nothing by not watching it. But watching it won't ruin your childhood or anything.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
Now Disney's Lady and the Tramp remake? That's live action. Real dogs with some CG enhanced talking mouths.

O_o wut? Wasn't expecting that

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2019, 02:37:03 AM »
Reading through all the posts, I'm still not sure if I want to see it or not.

I took a decision not to go see Aladdin because it was my favourite Disney film as a kid (and I will watch it probably when it comes on TV but I didn't want to spend money on something I will probably rant about xD)

I was never much for the original LK, I preferred the sequel, so I don't have such a connection to this one - but all the things being said about the expressions and it being hard to tell characters apart make me kind of lukewarm about it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »
I took a decision not to go see Aladdin because it was my favourite Disney film as a kid (and I will watch it probably when it comes on TV but I didn't want to spend money on something I will probably rant about xD)

Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie and I thought the remake was fine. I also saw the musical and there is a great evolution of Jasmine's character motivations.
Movie: she wants to marry for love, not political reasons.
Musical: she wants to marry for love and have equal power to her husband as sultana.
Remake: she wants to become sultana on her own without having to marry at all, she is into politics because her mother was murdered after a coup. Since she wants to be sultana anyways she only wants to marry for love. She wants to prove she can rule (her new song is all about that)

The Lionking remake is beat for beat like the original with some minor character updates on the hyenas and Sarabi.
Spoiler
Both Shenzi and Sarabi are portrayed as stronger leaders, but it's just slightly. For instance, Sarabi doesn't get knocked out by Scar. She fights back like a real lioness would. Also Shenzi is not scared of Scar. She is just dealing with him because her clan needs food. She looks very large and fit for a starving hyena but so does Simba on his bug diet :lol:

I don't get where the heck Amy Sedaris was. They announced her character like it was big news but she only had one line  :rolleyes:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
I saw it yesterday, and I personally enjoyed it. There were some things that were changed that I really didn't care for, but some things were changed that I loved.
Spoiler
Shenzi, especially her short battle with Nala at the end, was fantastic.

I personally recommend it, just don't go into it expecting parts to be as funny or as charming as the original. Any humor (save for T&P) has been pretty much erased, and the plot is way more serious. The CGI, however, is incredible.

If they do decide to do a sequel (Who am I kidding, there'll be a sequel) then I feel like Jon Favreau would do a much better job at that one, provided they go down the same route as Simba's Pride again.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
I saw it yesterday.  Aladdin, The Lion King and Lilo and Stitch are my top 3 favorite Disney movies. I loved the live action Aladdin! But The Lion King fell a little flat for me. It just wasn't as charming or endearing as the original.

More details about my thoughts and feelings. Lots of spoilers!!!!!!
Spoiler
I did like that they changed up the animal puns in Zazu's morning report. Especially the two giraffes that were caught necking.  :lol: I didn't like that they got rid of Ed's laugh. I don't mind that he talked now, but I missed his laugh.

The scene where Mufasa is talking to Simba under the stars has always been my favorite part. In this version they took out Mufasa's line, "Being brave doesn't mean you go looking for trouble." To me that was the line that got Mufasa's point across the best.

The stampede scene was heart pounding in CGI! Mufasa's death has never made me cry. (I rarely cry at movies. ) But I've always found it heartbreaking and hard to watch. The CGI version is equally so.

I didn't like the changes they made to Timon and Pumbaa's personalities. Timon isn't as... bossy. And Pumbaa isn't as dim witted. Pumbaa didn't screw up Timon's phrase and tell Simba to "put his behind in the past." But in Hakuna Matta Pumbaa actually said the word "farted". I guess Disney decided that wasn't a bad word anymore.  :lookround: I did enjoy the extended scene of them singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Nala's arrival in the jungle made me jump. It's completely different from the original and I wasn't expecting it.

I was disappointed that they took out when Timon and Pumbaa dressed in drag and did the hula. But at the same time, I can imagine that would look super silly in hyper realistic CGI. Them singing a bit of Be Our Guest was cute. I'm glad that they left out the Arsenio Hall grunting. That joke is far too outdated.

I did like how they showed how Nala escaped from Pride Rock and how Simba's fur made it to Rafiki.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
I was thinking of the CGI Lion King the other day as I watched the CGI Watership Down remake on Netflix.  Watership Down's CGI is nowhere as advanced as TLK, in fact it was pretty bad.  But one thing they both share is:  they're stories that are not helped at all by "realistic" CGI.  (Realistic in the sense that they used naturalistic colors for the animals and didn't have a lot of exaggerated stretch and squash / exaggerated character designs.)

In the case of Watership Down it was an absolute struggle to tell which character was which when they weren't talking.  Except Fiver because he was physically smaller.  In TLK's case, I feel like . . . it's like when you take a picture of the most gorgeous sunrise, but the photo doesn't capture it at all.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:27 PM »
I saw it today.

Spoiler
I liked it but it felt like something was missing probably because the animals can't emote. It looks beautiful though.

One thing I really missed was Mufusa in the clouds appearing to adult Simba after Rafiki finds him. Instead it's just a cloud and you hear Mufusa's voice. Speaking of Rafiki I was disappointed that most of his lines were cut.

I didn't like "Be Prepared" at all. It's more of a speech set to music than anything else and I feel that nothing would have been lost if it wasn't in the movie.

I did like how the fur got to Rafiki and it makes more sense than some dust traveling that far. I also liked how Nala and Sarabi reacted to Scar taking the throne and how Sarabi refused to become Scar's queen even if it meant there would be even less food for the lions.

"Can you Feel the Love Tonight" movie version is one of my favorite Lion King songs. I didn't care for Beyoncé's verses of the song or for the song that she sang while Simba was going back to the Pride Lands to challenge Scar.

I did like how Scar tricked Simba to stay in the gorge better in this version and the stampede and Mufasa's death seems even more emotional than in the original.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal