collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!  (Read 17036 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »
Yeah... if we *have* to have a Lion King remake, I have no idea why they wouldn't try and work some of the Broadway songs into there. Nala's song "Shadowland" is amazing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »
I think it's funny to see the two different camps of Disney fans come out each time Disney pulls a remake like this.

Camp1: I don't want this at all unless it's a shot for shot remake without changes.
Camp2: Give me something fresh. The new movie should at least be different from the original.

I'm in the latter camp. I think they should overhaul 50% of the story because Mufasa was giving speeches on the Circle of Life but if he hadn't banned all hyenas Scar wouldn't have been able to have an army :lol:
I want to see Mufasa's failures adressed to make it a more interesting movie.
Dude kicked out an entire species for getting food and was surprised when that species turned extremist against him simply for being hungry and starving.
Lions irl kill hyenas when they get the chance and steal their prey (spotted hyenas hunt more successfully than lions). So Mufasa was just a typical lion jerk and his antics would have destroyed the Circle of Life because hyenas are essentially desease control as well as a top predator.
Let's make this concept make sense.

If you think about it... they could really Black Panther it and make it better than the 90s movie. Give Scar more depth and make the hyenas more sympathetic with the end result of Simba allowing them back into the land to right his father's wrongs. Make it about more than just a Hamlet rip-off.

Can't wait to see these CG animals sing btw. Junglebook already skirted that line of cute and creepy. There is just something uncanny about these critters.

Post Merge: December 09, 2018, 05:50:49 AM

My concern with "live action remakes" isn't the fact that it's "not new" or that it's unnecessary (which tbf it's totally unnecessary), but the fact that it's... live-action. It encourages the mindset that no one is allowed to like cartoons, cartoons are only made for the entertainment of young children, and never as an art form; Sophisticated Movies™ can only be live-action, because cartoons are for babies.

I think you are projecting your own issues a bit.
This new movie is 100% a cartoon (nothing live action about CG rendered trees and skies) and Disney is still making animated movies that adults unironically enjoy and obsess over (including Pixar).

They are making live action and CGI remakes because a 2D remake would be pointless. The 2D version already exists.
At the same time they just want to renew their IPs and make money off of nostalgia. None of this happens because "cartoons are for babies". It happens because of money. In 30 years there will be an interactive 4D TLK or whatever :lol:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:50:49 AM by Zapper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »

I don't agree, I think that assessment is spot on.  Yeah, this is going to be all CGI, but it's all "realistic" CGI as opposed to, like, Toy Story.  Beauty and the Beast . . . live action.  Cinderella . . . live action. Mulan . . . live action.

What we are not seeing is "we remade this classic animated feature as a new animated feature!"  Because a lot of people, and apparently Disney, sees a live action (or "so realistic it looks like live action") movie as somehow being more legitimate than a cartoon.  And I think it's a shame.

When photography was invented, a lot of people thought it would mean the end of paintings.  Because why paint a picture when you could look at an image that looked EXACTLY like real life?  But paintings survived because something that is stylized, that is simplified, that is drawn, can get across an idea or feeling as well as a photo, or even better than a photo.  An animated format can be more appropriate than a ~hyper-realistic~ format, and IMO this certainly applies to a tale of singing lions.  I feel like what Disney is doing now is the equivalent of taking Van Gogh's Starry Night out of a museum and replacing it with a photo of a starry night.  Wow, so much better because now the trees look like REAL TREES!  Also the stars were too big and v. unrealistic in the painting, oh dear.

Like you, I wonder if we are going to fall into the uncanny valley when these hyper-realistic animals talk and sing.  I remember that being one of the weird, uncomfortable aspects of Pixar's Dinosaur (and those ones didn't even sing.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:40:54 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2018, 06:08:20 PM »
This is a must to see!!!!! :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
I hope “He Lives In You” is included. I always thought that was a great song. :) I think in Lion Guard Kiara and the other lion cubs mention that the bad hyenas don’t respect the Circle of Life because they kill more prey than they can eat and upset the balance. It’s been quite a long time since I’ve seen either Lion King movie but I think the overhunting  might be mentioned briefly when Scar is telling Sarabi to keep hunting even though there is nothing left to hunt?

In the sequel Zira was supposed to throw herself off the cliff.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:28 AM »
Okay I'll just use that as an opportunity to rant about Disney live-actions in general...

Spoiler

I don't agree, I think that assessment is spot on.  Yeah, this is going to be all CGI, but it's all "realistic" CGI as opposed to, like, Toy Story.  Beauty and the Beast . . . live action.  Cinderella . . . live action. Mulan . . . live action.

What we are not seeing is "we remade this classic animated feature as a new animated feature!"  Because a lot of people, and apparently Disney, sees a live action (or "so realistic it looks like live action") movie as somehow being more legitimate than a cartoon.  And I think it's a shame.

But that's still your own interpretation. Why should they remake it as a stylized animation? It would look 2D gone 3D and people would see it as a copy. Exactly then people would not prefer to see something new because it would look like the already beloved classic but "new". Not exciting.
These movies are their own brand and remaking them again would piss people off big time. Disney fans are emotionally attached to the 2Ds.
With the live-actions they can pretend they made something new while still working with their old IPs and banking on brand recognition.

I am way more upset that they are still sticking with their disneyfied versions instead of making all new live-actions of the same source material.
Like I was one of those people who didn't like their 2016 Junglebook because it was still wayyy too much like the Disney animated one and not enough like the actual book by Kipling.
I hate their version of Baloo and I was upset that they made him even more annoying by casting Bill Murray.
But people loved that movie and totally ate up the silliness and nonsense that was in it.
I saw kids with their parents stampede into the cinema just to see that watered down version of a youth literature classic.

If anything, the source material are the Van Goghs and Disney movies are the fakers trying to pass a remade painting off as the original painting. That's what bothers me personally about their live-action craze. Because it all serves to renew the brand and little by little Disney will just have people convinced that the original Little Mermaid is trash because she doesn't survive, that Baloo was a slacker instead of a military inspired figure and what they did to mess with the author of Mary Poppins got its own movie - and THEN they still portrayed Walt like a saint and the author like a shrew who comes around and succumbs to the ~magic of Disney. When in reality she never liked the movie adaption and didn't change her mind. Disney was rewriting history in that case to suit their own needs.

That's why I wished they stuck with their semi-own material like TLK. It's always been a mix of Kimba/Leo and Hamlet but it was distinct enough. Out of all the remakes TLK makes the most sense to me because they built up that universe enough to tell more and better stories in.
I just don't see it as an attempt to erase the old TLK because it's still their own thing unlike some of their book adaptions who had an immense influence on how people suddenly viewed the original books.

Of course people are always drawn to the shiny new thing. The hyper realistic TLK will be like James Cameron's Avatar. Trying to show what they can do with their computers but the story will be weak - unless they make some drastic changes to keep it fresh and keep their mythology going. 90 minutes of 2D doesn't work as a "blockbuster" Hollywood overproduced CG fest. So they better overhaul.

If this movie is a hit they can make sequels. That's what makes this one interesting to me because it's not Disney trying to keep control over a story that isn't theirs. It's more like Disney rediscovering a franchise to branch out and do more.
That TLK cartoon that is on right now was launched to hook a new gen of kids. These kids still got to see the 90s 2D movie. The 90s movie will not disappear just because a new thing is out.
And trust me, TLK is way too beloved for people to go "well the old one is drawn and animated - so boring!" If anything the new one will make people buy the old movie again. Because that nostalgia train keeps on moving. There has already been an influx of new 2D TLK merch, shirts and other goods because Disney is an evil empire built on money, not integrity :lol:

Finally, I have to say I am extremely annoyed that Disney throws out these remakes as a response to other live-actions of the same source material. Sophia Coppola announces Little Mermaid - Disney announces their own remake and Coppola's project suddenly is sidelined.
Andy Serkis announces his live-action Junglebook - Disney swoops in with their remake after Serkis had been shopping around his project and gets it out sooner than him. And what happened? People react negatively to the Serkis one, call it too dark and a ton of dumb comparisons to the Disney 2016 one pop up.
But I don't see Disney fans complain about that. Because for some reason they believe the Disney 2Ds are the original stories nobody else is allowed to adapt and all hail Mickey Mouse, our benevolent overlord :lookround:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 05:44:17 AM »
I'm going to take a pass on this. I am not on the live action bandwagon for the excessive use of CGI with animal characters. It's time Disney came up with something new, but they've clearly run out of ideas...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
It could be interesting, but I would prefer a new story entirely.   I've watched the Lion King so many times I'm a bit bored with it.  I do love it, but I can't sit still for it anymore.  Seeing it again in CGI won't change that.

I won't be seeing it in theaters unless a family member drags me to it.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 06:02:19 AM »
I find this conversation so interesting in all the different threads it's inspired xD

@LM, I didn't know about that deleted scene. I agree that would have made the whole thing a bit more balanced and at least given Nala a purpose or a role in the overall story. Shame it was cut. I am not sure if it was cut for being creepy or for time, or what, really. I mean, Mulan is a bit later, but there's that scene in that with the field of battle when they're all happily singing and then they reach the devastation of the defeat where the guy's Dad has been killed and suddenly it's a snap from happy to a scene of death and brutality. (Not to mention that Tarzan has the silhouette of a hanging man in the background). In contrast to those things, is the Nala scene really bad enough to be cut...? I dunno. Maybe a little changed in the time lapse between those films. But I absolutely agree that it would be great to see in any remake. I haven't seen the stage show although it is on my bus route now from the station to campus, so I see the theatre often...I haven't been because the film didn't thrill me and theatre is expensive. :/

On the subject of animation being a kids thing, I think that's a really Westernised perception but I am coming at that angle as someone who is basically buried in Japanese stuff and therefore probably more aware of that than I am of some of the things going on in American animation (which is where the bulk of the big budget animated stuff from the West comes up). The discussion made me think of Kimi no na wa (Your name), though, and how that's not a kid's movie, but it's also not constrained to being an adult one, either. Animation isn't just for kids - but there's a stereotype around expectations of Disney films that they have to be happy and shiny (albeit they aren't always in all ways, see above comments). It also reminds me of a discussion in the shoutbox about Watership Down, a new animated version of which is airing on TV in the UK at least over Christmas, and the idea that it couldn't be a kid's story, because the film is brutal - but the story was written for the author's kids who were six and eight at the time. (I know this as weirdly there was an interview with said daughters in a magazine here this week). So I think the concept of what is for kids and what isn't, whether animation is or isn't is much more complicated. (I also don't think Watership Down is particularly disturbing, but that's largely because as a kid I watched the animated episodes of FArthing Wood which were brutal as a kids' show, and read the books, which were more so) so I wonder if even kids really need everything to be happy and shiny :/

I am not a huge fan of CGI. But plot is the most important aspect to me. I surprised myself by liking the remake of Cinderella (I don't like the original film albeit I watched it as a kid not as an adult). I also like the remake of Beauty and the Beast while accepting it as entirely a different type of work from the original animated one (which is my sister's favourite and a film I watched with her throughout our childhood many times). I didn't watch Jungle Book because (rather like mlp4me) I am bored by the original. We did Jungle Book as a production at my school when I was 11/12 and I was in the orchestra, which meant going over it so many times over and over again. I never was a huge fan of the original so I haven't been able to watch it at all since then. But I think really loving something can impact wanting to watch it too. I haven't been to see Aladdin at the theatre either because I have so much nostalgia for the animated film, so I think some of the objections to remaking LK do relate to our own nostalgia. And Aladdin and Mulan are my favourite Disney films, so thinking of them being remade does make me more apprehensive than either Cinderella or B&TB did, or that LK will.

I will judge this one I think on what comes out. I won't go see it in the cinema though. I don't like the original LK enough to spend money on a cinema ticket, so I won't probably see it till it hits the TV channels.

I do kind of share the opinion though that Disney need to make new stuff, not remakes. But it's a trend that's bigger than Disney, with so many things being remade, recast. And it's not just kids stuff. Heck, the BBC are going to do a whole new Poirot thing even though ITV already did every single story she ever wrote, and David Suchet is basically Poirot...and ITV have blundered their way all over Miss Marple by rewriting huge swathes of Agatha Christie's text. It seems we are living in an age that basically eschews originality...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 06:39:09 AM »
It also reminds me of a discussion in the shoutbox about Watership Down, a new animated version of which is airing on TV in the UK at least over Christmas, and the idea that it couldn't be a kid's story, because the film is brutal - but the story was written for the author's kids who were six and eight at the time. (I know this as weirdly there was an interview with said daughters in a magazine here this week). So I think the concept of what is for kids and what isn't, whether animation is or isn't is much more complicated. (I also don't think Watership Down is particularly disturbing, but that's largely because as a kid I watched the animated episodes of FArthing Wood which were brutal as a kids' show, and read the books, which were more so) so I wonder if even kids really need everything to be happy and shiny :/

Eh.
Since I made a comment in the shout. In the US, the movie release of Watershipdown was not considered to be geared toward young children, and lots of parents who took their kid to the movie at it's release were upset. The movie poster has a rabbit (big wig?) in a snare... o.O if that wasn't forshadowing I don't know what is.

It think parental guidance is a thing, it needs some sort of maturity to enjoy the story. I personally consider it an all ages movie, not a kids movie (sort of like most Disney movies are all ages, although they remove gore). That said, it is absolutely a movie that can be enjoyed by kids
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:53:39 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 08:46:07 AM »
I'm also wondering if it's about different broadcasting rules/standards/labelling in different places as well (and also in different time periods). I find the whole thing interesting because Watership Down and Farthing Wood, which has a similar theme, are more or less contemporary as books and both were in the kids book section in my library when I was growing up. I read both before I was ten. WD is obviously a movie (though also later a TV show) but Farthing Wood was made into a cartoon series which aired in the kids slot in the afternoons and there were as far as I know no complaints about it for the amount of animal death it featured and the fact it rendered these things pretty much to the book. But I just did some reading online about it and discovered that when it aired in the US there were some changes, songs added, and some bits taken out - which makes me think maybe there are just different ratings and rules that make it different between two places. I dunno.

But bringing this back on topic to the idea of LK and whether there's a thing about live action/cartoons are for kids, I think if that is in play it brings with it the idea of removing the darker ideas and nor presenting them. WD and FW are both about environmental damage caused by humans and the impact on the wild animals, which probably makes both acceptable in terms of subject matter, but still dark in some respects. But then Lion King is based on Hamlet, which is arguably not a kids' story, and nor is Romeo and Juliet (in terms of LK2).

I don't really believe animation has an age limit. I agree with banditpony that things can be allage movies, but over here in the UK our film guidance tends to go with Uc (For everyone but aimed at small children), U (for everyone) and PG (Parental guidance/maybe not suitable for young kids). But then the UK also has a rule by which babies and small kids can be taken to 12 and up films because reasons so I guess the whole thing is kind of blurred here.

In any case, I hope with the LK film they do put in some of the deeper and darker plot and character elements that got removed from the animation. I really like the original Beauty and the Beast but I don't hate the remake, it's just different in places. But I am kind of meh about the original LK and I always felt stuff was missing. Now I know stuff was missing that makes a lot more sense. I don't think it matters if it is animated or not, I feel like it's a chance to put that material back in. And if it appeals then to a broader audience, great. If not, it doesn't matter.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2018, 03:50:02 PM »
Any news about the soundtrack? If they didn't bring back Hans Zimmer and Lebo M, they've bumped their heads. Because once again, why change what's not broken. I will hand it to the live action BATB, they did have Alen Menken return, it wouldn't have been the same if they'd gotten someone else.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline RandomPony

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »
When I saw this about flipped out! I mean It looked really good!
:frolic:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
This thread has inspired me to listen to some of the songs from the Broadway Show. :) I hope they will keep that section of the score from when Mufasa appears to adult Simba. I think it's one of my favorite scores in the movie.

I'd love to see more of Scar destroying the land/letting the hyenas take over than we saw in the original movie.

It would be nice if they found unused lyrics or songs that were inteneded to be in the orginal film but were cut. The live action Beauty and the Beast included lyrics for "Gaston" that didn't make it in to the animated film and the Little Mermaid on Broadway added "Her Voice" I think Aladdin's "Proud of Your Boy" was also meant to be in the animated flim but was cut also.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
This thread has inspired me to listen to some of the songs from the Broadway Show. :) I hope they will keep that section of the score from when Mufasa appears to adult Simba. I think it's one of my favorite scores in the movie.

I'd love to see more of Scar destroying the land/letting the hyenas take over than we saw in the original movie.

It would be nice if they found unused lyrics or songs that were inteneded to be in the orginal film but were cut. The live action Beauty and the Beast included lyrics for "Gaston" that didn't make it in to the animated film and the Little Mermaid on Broadway added "Her Voice" I think Aladdin's "Proud of Your Boy" was also meant to be in the animated flim but was cut also.

Ponyfan

I hope in the Aladdin remake Proud of Your Boy is in there.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal