collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!  (Read 17133 times)

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Re: CGI Lion King teaser trailer!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »
I'm pretty critical of the Disney remakes. I really loved Maleficent and the Oz movie. Jungle book was ... ok but not great. I hated the new Beauty and the beast that everyone seemed to love. If anything I love it generated more merch for the original at the time of release for each movie. Disney does well if they do try something new or from a different characters perspective. But these straight remakes are getting old. It'll be alright, not good not great but an entertaining time.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
Nope, it feels like a cash grab and could be a one for one retread of the animated film. Now if they bring in plot and music from the musical then perhaps. If they don't use Lebo M and Hans Zimmer for the music I'm seriously done with it.

I agree

Why don't they remake their older films that NEED help, like The Black Cauldron (a book series I LOVED which they butchered and which flopped in the box office)

I love the Black Cauldron, but it is always going to suffer from the fact that it's like Book 2 of a rather obscure classic high Arthurian fantasy series.  And like the Narnia series, if I recall, there are different characters in different times, so also hard to fill in the audience on the Universe of Lloyd Alexander.

I have no interest in this insanity.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »
I'm sort of curious to see what some of the scenes will look like. But not enough for trip to the theater to see it. I like Beyoncé's music and I hope we get some good music out of this. But I read somewhere they are only using 4 songs, is that true? Because that's sad.

I honestly have not sat through an entire film of this Disney trend with live action. I tried Beauty and the Beast but found Emma Watson's singing to be too weak. I tried Jungle Book but just got bored. I like Disney because of the music and the animation. Taking away half that equation or making it look like realistic just makes me lose so much interest.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 09:43:41 PM »
I honestly have not sat through an entire film of this Disney trend with live action. I tried Beauty and the Beast but found Emma Watson's singing to be too weak. I tried Jungle Book but just got bored. I like Disney because of the music and the animation. Taking away half that equation or making it look like realistic just makes me lose so much interest.

I agree!! And I also thought Emma looked afraid of the chickens she was supposed to be feeding
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
I got goosebumps watching the trailer, but I always get those when I watch the beginning of the original and hear the intro song as it always brings me back to when I first saw it in the cinema. I hope they do it good so I wont be too dissapointed.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
Oh wooow this looks amazing! I hope they include all of the original songs. TLK is my favourite ever Disney movie.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »
@Noasar from what I can tell be prepared has been culled from this remake, and there are no plans to work it in at all at this point.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
I didn't like the live action Beauty and the Beast at ALL.  Belle and the Beast had no chemistry, Belle couldn't sing (which I don't blame Emma Watson for, I blame the casting director for casting someone who can't sing FOR A MUSICAL, like wow they might as well have gotten Russell Crowe to play Belle), and Gaston is Complex because he has PTSD from The Non-Descript War. (Barf.)

Also the Beast is just . . . yucky.  This is your title character, who is called "the Beast", so roll out the digigrade legs and the monstrous muzzle and have him stalking on all fours when he's angry and have him BE A BEAST instead of a discount furry.  But wait!  He's also . . . whiny.  I hate this guy.

I thought Cinderella was "okay" and I did like The Jungle Book--in large part because it was more faithful to the book.  The one thing that bummed me out was that Kaa is STILL portrayed as an antagonist even though he (or she, I didn't mind the gender flip) was one of Mowgli's allies in the book and saved his butt several times.

And like the Narnia series, if I recall, there are different characters in different times

You might be thinking of a different series, the Prydain books were very chronological.  No time travel and no big flashbacks I can think of. It would be hard to make the entire story coherent in one movie, but if they did a trilogy I think it could be amazing.  IF they 'get' the humor and pathos of the story this time around.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »
I'm just hoping that Mulan remake will be good.

Instead of doing remakes Disney should do Night on Bald Mountain (only one of the segments I like in Fantasia). They have the planning of the movie in the works but no they decided to butcher Lion King.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »

Instead of doing remakes Disney should do Night on Bald Mountain (only one of the segments I like in Fantasia). They have the planning of the movie in the works but no they decided to butcher Lion King.

I know you didn't say it.. but now I'm imagining a Fantasia remake (obviously the animated bits) ... Hahaha 😂

The centaur bit would just be the perfect blend of real life and CGI.

(I'm joking)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »

I know you didn't say it.. but now I'm imagining a Fantasia remake (obviously the animated bits) ... Hahaha 😂

The centaur bit would just be the perfect blend of real life and CGI.

(I'm joking)

It would be good if they remake Fantasia, because they can improve the dinosaurs in the Rite of Spring (better than the movie Dinosaurs), CGI centaurs I can just imagine it, they will be way better than the centaurs in Harry Potter. Only segment that would be not very good to do is the Sorcerer's Apprentice, because I just can't see a CGI Mickey Mouse.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
Kimba.. it was inspired by Kimba.

"Inspired" more like stolen.

Lol, well I wasn't going to go there.

I made my comment since I feel like rather than "let's reimagine Hamlet with animals", it was oh look at this already existing story...

The story was based on Hamlet. That doesn't preclude the borrowing of other cultural aspects or stories of course...since something must have inspired them to use lions. So I'd say a meeting of the two...

There are issues with the cousin/sister/whatever human preoccupation with relationships in LK and LK2 both, because putting a shakespeare context with human interactions into an animal society is always going to override things that make sense.

LK2 is miles stronger as a standalone story than LK1, which feels like a lot has been axed to make the time limit work. Which given the Hamlet basis it probably has. LK2 is meant to be based, as I said, on Romeo and Juliet. For that to happen you have to have two rival prides. Because, again, chief consideration is the human story basis imposed on animals. So they make sense in context of the storyline they're clinging to, only with lions. That's where there's a fundamental problem but it's with both stories because well, shakespeare with lions is weird.

I will always like LK2 better but I need to reiterate I despise Romeo and Juliet because it has plot holes aplenty and is hugely inconsistent (aside not being at all romantic). LK2 kind of jumps over those pitfalls and smooths them out a little bit so they weirdly make more sense in an animated story about large cats than they do in the original play.

I am not as familiar with Hamlet so it's harder to comment on LK from that perspective. But for a female lead Nala is basically nonexistent while the entire cast is basically male character vs male character, befriending male character, killing male character, betraying male character...and there may be a female hyena in there but that's about it. At least LK2 tries to give a bit more balance, with a slightly psychotic female villain and a hugely naive but plucky female lead...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
Nala was originally given a bigger role where Scar tried to force her to be "his queen", she refused, and as a result she was banished.  (This was the original reason she left . . . not "to find help.")  I get why they dropped it because it was super creepy, like approaching Frollo territory.  But I do think it was a great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8gDjaHWWA

Another change was originally Scar didn't let the rest of the pride know that he was teamed up with the hyenas until this point, where he used them to drive away Nala.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:47:45 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
Nala was originally given a bigger role where Scar tried to force her to be "his queen", she refused, and as a result she was banished.  (This was the original reason she left . . . not "to find help.")  I get why I dropped it because it was super creepy, like approaching Frollo territory.  But I do think it was a great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8gDjaHWWA

Another change was originally Scar didn't let the rest of the pride know that he was teamed up with the hyenas until this point, where he used them to drive away Nala.

I agree. It’s a great scene but I can also see why it was cut. A lot of that scene appears in the Broadway show as “The Madness of King Scar” Without the Nala scene it kind of looks like he took Sarabi as his queen instead.

Lion King has some pretty intense drama when you think about it.  A jealous brother kills his brother the king, guilts the rightful heir to the throne into thinking it was his fault, forces the rightful heir into exile, takes over the kingdom and almost completely destroys it.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
Having seen the Broadway play, it was one of the things I'd hoped would be in this. A great way to showcase Nala's strength and Scar's depravity. The original film was full of scary and downright dark moments, so there's no reason to say this is any worse.

That it isn't or that we know makes me feel like they missed their mark, Scar, after all, is a fantastic villain.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal