collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rust Removal (Help!)  (Read 1002 times)

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
Rust Removal (Help!)
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
Okay, so I took your guys' suggestions and decided that I HAD to remove the tail rust inside of Blossomforth. I've just removed her head with boiling water and have begun to freak out:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There's all this ick and rust and I don't even know what. Her face is stained and I just noticed some rust eating away the back plug of her hair.

If the outside is this dirty, the inside of her body must be even worse... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
I don't even have a clue what to do...I just can't leave her like this. Do I cut the neckplug to clean out the inside? Will something like oxiclean work? If you have better ways, please share because I have no experience in this and don't want to mess up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:42:57 PM by fanime5 »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Rust Removal (Help!)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
It will be alright! The ick will be gone eventually :hug: I don't know how oxiclean would work with G4s, or if it would do a thorough job. You'll need to take her apart and clean everything. You can use a toothbrush (and maybe a pipe cleaner) and dish soap to scrub, making sure you get every place the rust got to (probably even her hair. You can scrub her hair if rust has gotten in it and possibly stained with whitening toothpaste). You should probably use warm water too. Good luck :) I'm sure she appreciates it!

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »
Thank you!  :) I'm about to cut the neck plug out which is the hard part and doctor the inside up as best as I can. 

Post Merge: November 21, 2018, 07:38:49 PM

I took a look inside:

I'm using tweezers and a paper towel wet with dawn dish soap and pushing it inside the body to clean-up.

And the tail rust really is bad!  :X

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:38:50 PM by fanime5 »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:20:09 AM »
I would use toothpaste to clean up rust..

I think a cotton swab or pipe cleaner will help getting in those small hard to get areas

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
I would not cut anything... you just need a few different sizes of bottle brushes to clean everything out.  And some q-tips, those are good for scrubbing in the head.

Toothpaste is great for rust but there are stronger chemicals you can use if it's not budging.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »
Thank you all..and I have another question. Exactly how would I remove the rusty clamp holding the tail. Since this is a g4, the clamp is very small and tight. It is after all, the source of the rust.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 11:38:46 PM »
Granted I have not removed any G4 clamps, only G1 and G3, but I use beading pliers. And then replace it with a cable tie. In fact 2 cable ties: one holding the hair together and one holding the hair in the 'U' shape it will need to be in to go back through the tail hole. Otherwise the hair will come loose when you try brushing it. I also replace the hair from the head hole and not through the tail hole, but everyone has their favourite way that works for them.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
I use two pairs of needle nose pliers to sort of uncurl the metal clamp when necessary.  Clamps are not much fun to remove but they can be defeated with proper application of force. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 07:19:31 AM »
I use two pairs of needle nose pliers to sort of uncurl the metal clamp when necessary.  Clamps are not much fun to remove but they can be defeated with proper application of force. 

Yep, I have two pairs of needle nose pliers as well for this purpose!  You can also use medical clamps/hemostats.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
(Update): I was able to remove rust and the clamp but atm I'm debating on whether I should put her back together or customize her after a get a replacement Blossomforth because she just way too damaged to start... :huh:

If I do customize her, my plan is to make her into the g3 pony character and g4 blindbag coconut cream...http://www.strawberryreef.com/Index/Name/coconutcreamFIMmini.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:05:47 PM by fanime5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal