collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Issues with 35th Anniversary Ponies  (Read 9567 times)

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
Re: Issues with 35th Anniversary Ponies
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
Would having them around baking soda maybe help with removing the scent from the plastic? Or even leaving them outside in the sun? I still haven't deboxed mine yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I should.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:57:27 AM by Bebopgroove »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »
So since many of the same people seem to see the same issues in the ponies in their area-  I can only conclude that there either some batches that were more prone to discolor than others and those areas got those batches

Or MORE likely the ponies in those areas that discolored ponies are being consistently found-  those ponies were stored somewhere or shipped somewhere with high heat or cold (or both) and somehow this triggered or exacerbated the situation.

I know that my ponies and LadyMoondancer's ponies (we are both in Seattle) look fine- and I mean COMPLETELY fine- not a touch of discolor on mine- and I have them right here in my office so I can check regularly (and I got them when they first came out!)

Plus every time I see them in Target they look fine too-  so I can only assume that something happened to those ponies in areas where they are discoloring (bad batch or shipping or storage)

Would having them around baking soda maybe help with removing the scent from the plastic? Or even leaving them outside in the sun? I still haven't deboxed mine yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I should.

No- It is not the scent that is causing the problem, but how the plastic of hte pony is interacting with the oil used to scent the ponies. No removing that I think unless it is something they sprayed on? Most likely though they added it to the plastic.  If it was sprayed on than washing them would help!

Can anyone confirm if the SSC dolls have issues then?

I can confirm that the SSC dolls that my friends and I bought (granted we are all in Seattle) have no issues- and as far as I know, the SSC "community" has reported no issues. (The dolls look great)

(unlike the poor Bandai SSC dolls who all lost their hair)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:19:25 AM by Galactica »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
Thank you for the confirmation Galactica. Perhaps it was the different types of plastics involved? The SSC dolls were only in my hands briefly, as I picked some up for friends.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
Thank you for the confirmation Galactica. Perhaps it was the different types of plastics involved? The SSC dolls were only in my hands briefly, as I picked some up for friends.

Maybe it's something to do with how they colour the plastic and how the scent is worked into the plastic or applied that reacts? It might be as simple as the quantity of one with the other and if one is too heavy it creates a chain reaction. Different batches may have slightly different mixes which is why not all ponies are affected and why it tends to be ones in the same kind of packaging I believe (ie all in English rather than bilingual, or has that been disproven now?)

In any case, when I was home last mine were all fine. There are now no Rainbows in stores near me as they've all sold out and not been restocked (despite John Lewis's claims they would be) but the Skydancer who was there for weeks before this didn't show any issues whatsoever. (So glad it looks like she has a new home for Christmas xD)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
I could mention I have stopped seeing crazy amounts of discolored Moonstones. I mainly see normal ones nowadays, really. Maybe they solved the issue? Also instead a lot of head-body mismatch Parasols are showing up here...

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Wow, I had no idea... however unboxing mine seems not an option, they reek so badly I am happy they are in the box they came in. Bought them from french Amazon when I was over there during summer. Didn't notice anything weird but will check back next time I'm in the cellar. Wouldn't even want them in my apartment due to their scent, not even in their original Amazon box. But I don't tolerate artificial scents/perfumes in general so it might be better for most of you. Still I can't understand they made them that heavily scented, even more when kids are intended to play with them. It is utterly toxic... :(

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
I unboxed Windy but can't keep her in my pony room I spend time in because she's too scented.  Kept the rest in their boxes.  I figure with time the scent will probably be less strong.

Maybe the discoloured ones were just some bad batches since it's not a lot with issues.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2018, 08:41:29 AM »
My rainbows are fine and are deboxed in a cabinet. They still smell really strongly (or at least Starshine does) but otherwise no complaints. They are sort of battling it out with each other and my SSC in regards to smell (they are in the same cabinet). Starshine is winning and I even let her air out for about 2 weeks before putting her in the cabinet.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
I think I will pass on them, if the smell is that terribly strong.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2018, 07:09:04 AM »
Mine do not have overpowering smell nor do they have discolouration.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
I think I will pass on them, if the smell is that terribly strong.

I wonder if it's maybe some have more scents then others?

I am certainly sensitive with scents. Certain lotions and scented candles will trigger migraines, for sure. My ex boss's boss had a certain perfume that I could smell even if she just walked by and 75% of the time it would give me a migraine.

My moonstone is in a small drawer with other things. There is no scent that hits me when I open the drawer (as what another smelly things might do). She does smell if I put my nose to her and sniff her. And the smell does transfer to my fingers if I touch her (but I have to put my fingers to my nose). So a quick handwashing after handling is fine.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Annichen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Soft Pony
  • G1 MLP 4 life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
I just bought the only ones available in Norway and can't wait to compare with the originals..so, my only problem yet is that very few are available in Norway.
BUT..I wonder if they plan to release all the original playsets too !
I'd love to get my hands on the rare ones in mint condition but it will never be the same as the ones born in the 80s  :P
I see people mention the scent but the scented ones from the 80s still have some scent and they look good too.
But as with everything - they had better quality before. Seriously. I'm not shocked to hear about this issue but it sucks !
I suppose with the trend they wanted to make some extra $$$$ and then quality isn't really a priority.

Also, anyone else here from Scandinavia - do you find only the Rainbow ponies ? I don't even find the first Collectors pose ones - they were released first right, of the 35th ones, yes ? Is there a guide, overview, over what's been released for the anniversary ? I am a lazy collector and haven't been all over the internet hunting for a while.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
If you are still looking for ponies like I am, check the ponies you find on the shelves extra carefully since we are in the post Christmas/high returns  season. I was excited to see the last 3 Rainbow ponies I needed to complete my set and picked up Sunlight. Sadly Sunlight had been opened, played with, boxed back up and returned to the store. :sad: There was a piece of scotch  tape on inside her box filled with glitter from her symbol on it. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »

Also, anyone else here from Scandinavia - do you find only the Rainbow ponies ? I don't even find the first Collectors pose ones - they were released first right, of the 35th ones, yes ? Is there a guide, overview, over what's been released for the anniversary ? I am a lazy collector and haven't been all over the internet hunting for a while.

I'm not from Scandinavia, but I may be able to answer your question. As far as I understand it, the UK is the only European country where Collector Ponies have been released, but I have asked this many times as to whether anyone in other European countries have found them and nobody ever replies so I may be out of date with my information. In any case, mass floods of the CP set only really appeared in the UK in the leadup till Christmas, in mainstream toy stores like Entertainer. Before that they only appeared sporadically in specific regions and stores.

Rainbow Ponies were here too from Summer till about Hallowe'en but only in a limited region of the country and only in limited stores. They've now all vanished as far as I can see. No idea if they will come back.

No sign of Wave 3 in the UK at all yet but we were given a rumoured date of possibly February for them. No idea about Europe in general but maybe much the same? That would be the set with Firefly and Medley in.

I believe the Parlour is not coming to Europe as it doesn't meet regulations. Though I don't know about Norway's regulations or if there are any differences as that seems to be an EU ruling...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »

I have only found the rainbow ponies here in Sweden as well. The Parasol was very discolored, Starshine was perfect, and Moonstone's symbol was missing the silver parts. So weird! Not the best quality control, that's for sure.

I didn't buy any of them because they are super expensive. I got the few 35th Anniversary ponies I wanted online instead. ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal