collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Chronology of television and movie releases WIP  (Read 7089 times)

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Chronology of television and movie releases WIP
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »
Years ago I heard that a pony collector did have a copy of “The Glass Princess” that included “Hurry”  at one time but that they had taped over it, not realizing that “Hurry” would be cut and never put back in.  This person said the song showed Megan, the ponies and the bushwoolies working through the night to weave the fake cloak out of bushwoolie fur and finishing just as the sun came up

I think “Hurry” might have been cut after it first aired but before MLP n Friends aired on Disney Channel. I just looked at the VHS Little Golden Book copy on Ebay and it has a copyright date of 1988

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 03:52:30 PM »
The original molds weren't sold . . . Some may have snuck out in the hands of employees (I've seen the head-mold for the Skyflier pose) or lingered in Hasbro's vault, but most were probably melted down to make other molds.  The same way so many of the original Doctor Who tapes (from the 60s) were taped over.  I know this was a problem when they started reissuing G1 Transformers in the 2000s.  The fans were clamoring for Predaking, but the mold had been destroyed.

In the late 90s Hasbro would not have had any of the Sunbow features, as Rhino Entertainment owned the rights at that point.  Then Sony Pictures acquired the rights.  Then the rights bounced around from company to company until Hasbro reacquired them in 2008.  :)

Years ago I heard that a pony collector did have a copy of “The Glass Princess” that included “Hurry”  at one time but that they had taped over it, not realizing that “Hurry” would be cut and never put back in.  This person said the song showed Megan, the ponies and the bushwoolies working through the night to weave the fake cloak out of bushwoolie fur and finishing just as the sun came up

This is the summary I've heard of it too. 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »

In the late 90s Hasbro would not have had any of the Sunbow features, as Rhino Entertainment owned the rights at that point.  Then Sony Pictures acquired the rights.  Then the rights bounced around from company to company until Hasbro reacquired them in 2008.  :)

Which would suggest that whatever Hasbro has may well be the cut versions anyway, as manifested by DVD releases.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
When Shout Factory went to Hasbro to get the masters for all the episodes of Jem many fans complained after the boxed set containing all the episodes was released that Shout Factory had used the “wrong masters” as some of the episodes were different from the same episodes on the Rhino releases of Jem. Shout Factory explained many times that the masters they used were the only ones Hasbro had at the time. I think the same thing happened to the original unedited versions of MLP and Friends.

I think the “To Be Continued”  was also left out of every multipart episode of MLP and Friends except “Revolt of Paradise Estate” as well as “In Our Last episode

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1xsJWxLk3kE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrttsABUc0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSCrN6WPeA

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 04:34:34 PM by Ponyfan »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 06:44:54 AM »
I know I saw the "previously on.." segments online some time ago. I'll have to try and find them again. I know that Shout Factory's Tales DVD had the commercial bumpers, which makes me suspect that Hasbro probably doesn't have anything like that for MLP and Friends or probably they'd have wound up on the DVDs too.. if that makes sense?

FWIW I'm also in the "the uncut copies probably don't exist any more" camp.

joeybuddy96 - I'm not sure when exactly the change from "Rescue from.." to "Rescue at.." occured, or why. :/ It's all very confusing, I've been trying to figure it out for years now.

I think the weirdest thing about it is the Catrina/Katrina change. RaMC having multiple titles I can sort of understand, but why go out of their way to alter the spelling of Catrina? Weird.

Taffeta - I have that VHS and I can confirm the "Dreamland" title is just on the box. The special itself is 100% the same as the US VHS (at least the original one - haven't got the "Firefly's Adventure" VHS but I assume that's the same too?).

Ponyfan - ooooh I've never seen the slipcase before, thanks for sharing!!! I love seeing MLP videos ^_^

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:16 AM »

I think the weirdest thing about it is the Catrina/Katrina change. RaMC having multiple titles I can sort of understand, but why go out of their way to alter the spelling of Catrina? Weird.
Am imagining a feud in the screenplay department spilling over into the animation studio xd.

Who writes RaMC and Escape from Catrina, incidentally?

Taffeta - I have that VHS and I can confirm the "Dreamland" title is just on the box. The special itself is 100% the same as the US VHS (at least the original one - haven't got the "Firefly's Adventure" VHS but I assume that's the same too?).
I also have never had this video so can't confirm. I remember that my sister and I between us from carboot sales accumulated all the UK vhs we could find and never found a tape with (I think) Through the Door on it - but I can't remember whether different vhs versions from different time periods demonstrated different features. I also remember that when they aired MLP on Sky 1, we didn't have it but a friend of my sister's was recording all of them and lent my sister the tapes. I recall End of Flutter Valley being in episodes rather than a full length thing.

I don't remember Through the Door appearing on these tapes either, though I saw many episodes for the first time when that airing happened in around 1995. Also MLP Tales for the first time. I anm not sure why Through the Door (If I am remembering right which episode) might not have come to the UK. Any ideas?

THere's also definitely a difference between the VHS version of Revolt of PE I had as a kid and what's on the US release DVD, for what it's worth. I knew that episode so well as a kid that watching it on the DVD made me go, huh? I think the DVD has a scene or something that the VHS doesn't...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »
George Arthur Bloom wrote both specials and the G1 MLP movie.  Also the G1 Transformers movie and "The End of Flutter Valley".  :)  He also did some Tales episodes.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »
I know I saw the "previously on.." segments online some time ago. I'll have to try and find them again. I know that Shout Factory's Tales DVD had the commercial bumpers, which makes me suspect that Hasbro probably doesn't have anything like that for MLP and Friends or probably they'd have wound up on the DVDs too.. if that makes sense?

FWIW I'm also in the "the uncut copies probably don't exist any
more” camp.

Ponyfan - ooooh I've never seen the slipcase before, thanks for sharing!!! I love seeing MLP videos ^_^

I agree. I think what made it on to the Shout Factory version is what Hasbro has and that Hasbro no longer has the uncut versions of the specials of MLP n Friends.

I think the slipcover version of the original US VHS is a little rarer than the clamshell version as I’ve only seen the slipcase version a few times.

Fun fact: When I was watching MLP on the Disney channel I was always dissaiopinted when the Moochick’ song was cut and hoped it would be included next time they ran the episode not realizing it would be missing every time. :silly:

I don’t think it gets mentioned as much “Little Piece of Rainbow” but I think the 2 part episode version of Rescue at Midnight Castle also deletes the short  scene where Applejack was licking the applesauce/smashed apples off of Glory also.

THere's also definitely a difference between the VHS version of Revolt of PE I had as a kid and what's on the US release DVD, for what it's worth. I knew that episode so well as a kid that watching it on the DVD made me go, huh? I think the DVD has a scene or something that the VHS doesn't...

That’s very interesting. :)

Ponyfan

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 12:23:44 AM »
I don’t think it gets mentioned as much “Little Piece of Rainbow” but I think the 2 part episode version of Rescue at Midnight Castle also deletes the short  scene where Applejack was licking the applesauce/smashed apples off of Glory also.

Yeah, that did get cut short in the TV version. They cut out a lot of the opening theme sequence.

I have a VHS that has a 'full' version of "The End of Flutter Valley" - pretty sure it's the same as the version that's split into parts, it's just that it isn't.. split into parts. :p I wonder if all the multi-part episodes existed like that..

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
I need to re-watch the vhs copies of episodes I have to check which songs are there or not. You guys have me curious now...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »

Yeah, that did get cut short in the TV version. They cut out a lot of the opening theme sequence.

I have a VHS that has a 'full' version of "The End of Flutter Valley" - pretty sure it's the same as the version that's split into parts, it's just that it isn't.. split into parts. :p I wonder if all the multi-part episodes existed like that..

I am pretty sure I have that VHS too, but remember the first time I watched TEoFV was from my sister's friend's recorded episodes from Sky 1 and they were episodic (I remember feeling like it went on forever >< Not my favourite animated adventure...).

I keep saying this as though it is fact but it's my understanding that the UK didn't have MLP air on TV until that Sky 1 airing in the mid 1990s. Just the release of several VHS over the eighties and into the early 1990s. Can anyone else deny or confirm? I ask because it may explain why there are versions not split into episodes - some for VHS release. I am not sure if the US had all the eps on VHS, I don't seem to hear about many specials on VHS except the obvious candidates there - but there were so many here that cover pretty much the whole lot...maybe they were done that way for international markets?

I also somewhere have French videos for a couple of these. Also a French DVD I think, unless I got rid of it. Although obviously not in English, I am now wondering which version of the episode these were made from and whether they include these cut sections...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
I don't have all of the US VHS releases (I only have My Little Pony and Escape from Catrina)  but I looked on Ebay and found these other MLP VHS tapes.

"My Little Pony Fugitive Flowers /A Little Piece of Magic"

"My Little Pony The Golden Horshoes/The Prince and the Ponies"

"My Little Pony Mishmash Melee/Baby's It's Cold Outside"

My Little Pony "The Glass Princess"

My Little Pony "Flight to Cloud Castle"/"Pony Puppy"

My Little Pony "The Revolt of Paradise Estate"/"Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt"

My Little Pony "The Quest of the Princess Ponies"

I think Bright Lights might have also been released on VHS but I can't find a copy on Ebay right now.

Rhino also released some episodes on VHS/DVD around the same time they were releasing Jem around 2004.

Ponyfan

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
I also somewhere have French videos for a couple of these. Also a French DVD I think, unless I got rid of it. Although obviously not in English, I am now wondering which version of the episode these were made from and whether they include these cut sections...

Damn, I didn't even think about foreign videos/DVDs. It'd definitely be worth checking them.. I wonder if "Hurry" was dubbed at all or if everyone got the censored version.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 01:39:23 AM »

I have a German DVD of Rescue at Midnight Castle, it's split into two episodes and there's no "Little Piece of Rainbow", much to my disappointment.

Offline aria_elwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 12:18:20 PM »
Hi Taffeta I can both confirm and deny with regards UK.

I asked my Mum tonight and she knows she watched the Specials on either ITV or channel 4 prior to 1986 with my older brother. (I can date that closely as she knows she watched it prior to moving in 86).
She thinks she might've also watched the film. She knows she definitely watched something that involves parts which indicates the series may have also aired. She reckons an early Saturday morning slot. Interestingly though she thinks the film may have been aired in parts.

I know for a fact that Sky1 aired it in the early 90s as part of their Fun Factory slot as I have a number of episodes recorded but I'm not sure where all the tapes are.
It was not shown as My little pony and friends however, it was simply aired as My little pony. My understanding is none of the "friends" shows were aired here. My little pony Tales was also aired in the same slot.

With regards VHS release, Glass Princess was an incomplete release as it didn't have pt 4 on the tape. :(

I had My little pony in dreamland i.e the specials.
The film.
Flutter valley.
Tambelon/Pony Puppy/Sweet Stuff's treasure hunt
Glass Princess
Little Piece of Magic/ Princess Ponies

I know Baby it's cold outside was released as was Bright Lights as I remember seeing the tapes in Woolworths.
I know one story also got releaed as part of a my little pony and friends release as I had a friend with it but I don't know the episode.

Looking on ebay it looks like episodes were released multiple times in various combinations.

Interestingly the CITV wiki page lists MLP  as part of their former programming but I don't know where they got their info or when it aired.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:49:43 AM by aria_elwen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal