collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Live action Pokemon movie!  (Read 7306 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Live action Pokemon movie!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
Yeah, the "talking Pikachu" concept comes from the game Detective Pikachu, which was in Japanese first and then dubbed into English.

The Pikachu in Detective Pikachu isn't Ash's Pikachu, it's just "a" Pikachu.  (In the game it belongs to the protagonist's missing father.)  Ash's Pikachu does make a cameo in the game, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTf1lBmWS3A
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »
I dunno what to make of this to be honest.

I have big problems with a Pokemon movie being made in English on Western lines because well, that just doesn't work for me. Even with a "Japanese" setting, the whole feel of it isn't right.

The he can speak thing...it would be worse if he could speak to anyone, but I'm really fed up with this brand of "I'm funny, look at my smart dialogue" humour that seems to populate way too many films of late. I don't know if that's also a cultural thing on my part but it's getting annoying. And Pikachu doesn't need to speak. Much less he shouldn't be speaking in English, ever, not even given how the movie is trying to handle that. There's a reason that the animation never re-dubbed Pikachu's voice from the original by Ootani Ikue - they didn't need to. Pikachu conveys and communicates just fine without needing to be "mainstreamed" into using actual words.

So I have problems with that.

To me this is just a blatant attempt to feed off the franchise and get money from an English speaking audience. It's not really "Pokemon", it's basically western Pokemon fanfiction with a big production budget behind it.

But eh, each to their own. For me the deal-breaker is that they stopped using Ootani Ikue's voice. I have a serious issue with voice changes for characters. Even ones who don't speak in language.

Furry Pikachu is actually at the bottom of my concern list.

I think in the game its based off of, Detective Pikachu, its a case of human detective is turned into a Pokemon. I remember my daughter told me about the demo she'd played.

Plus the human turned Pokemon spin has happened in the mainline game, and in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, so its definitely not new.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:45:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
I'm hesitate on the idea.... Pikachu looks cute.... But why did they make Charizard furry? He's a lizard! He should have scales.

My friend, Kenai, says it looks like a disaster but hopefully it will be an entertaining disaster. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
I'm hesitate on the idea.... Pikachu looks cute.... But why did they make Charizard furry? He's a lizard! He should have scales.

My friend, Kenai, says it looks like a disaster but hopefully it will be an entertaining disaster.

Sometimes that's all we can hope for.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
Charizard is scaled, not furry.  Which still seems odd to me, I would've thought of him being less rough looking and more smooth?

Yeah, I'm hoping for an entertaining disaster too, ha ha.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »
Ryan Reynolds in Pikachu.. It felt like watching a Deadpool trailer to be honest, I waited for him to jump out in the suit. However, for me who's never been a fan of the pokemon universe (I've seen some episodes here and there of the anime and a film or two but never played any games) I thought it was cute and definitly gonna see it :).

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
I wanna see but I will still be in China >.< and I doubt it will get a release here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal