collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Live action Pokemon movie!  (Read 7287 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Live action Pokemon movie!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
I really want to see this! Pikachu looks pretty cute, and I'd love to see how they animate the rest of the pokemon.
It looks like only gen 1 so far?

https://nerdist.com/detective-pikachu-trailer-all-the-pokemon

Anywho. I wasn't interested in the game, and I'm not interested in the movie just because I don't like "detective" crime solving movies... It makes me a bit sad because I would of loved something based on the any part of any game or anime.

I have mixed feelings about the pokemon. I feel like it should of gone more roger rabbit style, or more realistic (Either morphing them to fit in the real world, or at least better textures). But somehow it's stuck in both not going far enough in either direction.

Like the bulb on bulbasaur isn't realistic to me...

And my childhood is sticking in the way of what my imagination thinks of them. I always thought that Pikachu would have hair similar to a mouse.

And yet Mr. Mime is spot on (Except I always thought he had hair. oops). And Greninja looks like he's nice too.

*shrug*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Yeah I agree they kind of look halfway between animated stuffed toys and actual animals. I always imagined them to be more ‘animal-y’, with rabbit or mouse like fur. Pikachu looks super cute but he does look a bit too perfect.

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
OMG that Mr. Mime.

Literally XD
I can tolerate him in games but a cgi version of him...its nightmare fuel  :blink:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 07:23:27 AM »
My resident pokemaniac (daughter dearest) saw the trailer. She said some of the pokemon creeps her out.

Post Merge: November 14, 2018, 07:27:27 AM

I really want to see this! Pikachu looks pretty cute, and I'd love to see how they animate the rest of the pokemon.

Anywho. I wasn't interested in the game, and I'm not interested in the movie just because I don't like "detective" crime solving movies... It makes me a bit sad because I would of loved something based on the any part of any game or anime.

I have mixed feelings about the pokemon. I feel like it should of gone more roger rabbit style, or more realistic (Either morphing them to fit in the real world, or at least better textures). But somehow it's stuck in both not going far enough in either direction.

Like the bulb on bulbasaur isn't realistic to me...

And my childhood is sticking in the way of what my imagination thinks of them. I always thought that Pikachu would have hair similar to a mouse.

And yet Mr. Mime is spot on (Except I always thought he had hair. oops). And Greninja looks like he's nice too.

*shrug*

Okay, Mr. Mime is freaky and Psyduck reminds me of Howard the Duck.
They shoulda just contacted the Henson Company.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:27:27 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
This film is everything I would despise on a film adaptation of beloved: dark/edgy, unfitting adult humor, horrifying "realistic" CGI...

Yet, I really want to pay for a movie ticket to watch it! Maybe because despite everything, it takes itself seriously / it doesn't make fun of itself* and... Pokemon is such a dear to me, I'm glad it's trying new things (hey, this isn't another "Ash saves the world" movie!) and even if this is a ginormous trainwreck, I want to watch it on the big screen and a big bucket of popcorn and have fun and laugh and be amazed at which of my favourites appear.

*I'm getting sick of the trend of media trying to make fun of itself as if "yeah, we are corny, but now we know better than that *wink wonk*" I got that impression with Ralph Breaks the Internet's trailer (in which Vanellope makes a comment like "who likes stupid stuff like princesses and cartoons?" when visiting the Disney website and now with the new Toy Story 4 trailer (the one with the carnival prizes). I don't know about you, but it feels like undermining your own product, and being unloyal to what you are. Let Disney be cheesy and sentimental, geez

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 08:02:54 AM »
It looks pretty cute, I'll probably see it! Hard to hear Pikachu without thinking of Deadpool though since it's the same actor. :lol:

It makes me really happy that the staff of the movie seem to have a lot of knowledge about Pokemon, there's a lot of neat little references in the movies' poster. Also really glad they didn't only put in gen 1 Pokemon and instead put Pokemon from all seven generations in it. I'm going to have to remember to buy the Detective Pikachu game before the movie hits theaters so I can have knowledge on it beforehand.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Rewatched the ad and saw Emolga, woops.  :redface: This site is a nice way to see all the pokemon, especially those in the beginning, thank you for sharing!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »
Rewatched the ad and saw Emolga, woops.  :redface: This site is a nice way to see all the pokemon, especially those in the beginning, thank you for sharing!

Their list missed the zubat flying over the bulbasaurs.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »

I mean.. the list isn't all inclusive of EVERY Pokemon. It's a list of what those people found. I saw what looks like Geodude, I think (same shot as the trio.of Emolga)

ETA I just thought of something! :3 what if all 800+ make some sort of tiny appearance ... I would totally watch the movie to play gotta find them all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:46:47 AM by banditpony »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 10:49:23 AM »

I mean.. the list isn't all inclusive of EVERY Pokemon. It's a list of what those people found. I saw what looks like Geodude, I think (same shot as the trio.of Emolga)

ETA I just thought of something! :3 what if all 800+ make some sort of tiny appearance ... I would totally watch the movie to play gotta find them all.

Yeah, I could see that being a game option on the DVD release...
And what if they use the movie to reveal new pokemon?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »
This film is everything I would despise on a film adaptation of beloved: dark/edgy, unfitting adult humor, horrifying "realistic" CGI...

Yet, I really want to pay for a movie ticket to watch it! Maybe because despite everything, it takes itself seriously / it doesn't make fun of itself* and... Pokemon is such a dear to me, I'm glad it's trying new things (hey, this isn't another "Ash saves the world" movie!) and even if this is a ginormous trainwreck, I want to watch it on the big screen and a big bucket of popcorn and have fun and laugh and be amazed at which of my favourites appear.

This is more or less how I feel . . . A combination of "ugh" and "oh, I'm DEFINITELY going to see it."  Even if it is a trainwreck, I think I'll find a way to enjoy it.  And I'm curious about which Pokemon will show up, if only in the background.  I hope there's a Gyarados.

That said, the Pokemon designs (aside from Pikachu) are sort of horrifying?  Like, instead of cute monsters you want on your team, they're horrifying cryptids.  Mr. Mime (whose design was ALREADY creepy) is the obvious example, but also . . . that Charizard and the Greninja and Psyduck.  It makes me appreciate the animated designs even more, lol.

I agree that the Gen 1 Pokemon are the most recognizable.  Although I did see a bunch of Emolga on the roof in the market scene.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
OMG that Mr. Mime.

Literally XD
I can tolerate him in games but a cgi version of him...its nightmare fuel  :blink:

Ha!  Really?  I'm the opposite - the anime one skeeves me out but the realistic one was a jerk and therefore, less creepy, lol! 

I'm definitely seeing it, in a kind of "OMGWTF can't look away from this train-wreck" sense, but if there are Wooper in it I will proclaim it the most masterful movie ever filmed. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
My daughter said Danny Devito should play Mr. Mime.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 10:01:48 PM »
I dunno what to make of this to be honest.

I have big problems with a Pokemon movie being made in English on Western lines because well, that just doesn't work for me. Even with a "Japanese" setting, the whole feel of it isn't right.

The he can speak thing...it would be worse if he could speak to anyone, but I'm really fed up with this brand of "I'm funny, look at my smart dialogue" humour that seems to populate way too many films of late. I don't know if that's also a cultural thing on my part but it's getting annoying. And Pikachu doesn't need to speak. Much less he shouldn't be speaking in English, ever, not even given how the movie is trying to handle that. There's a reason that the animation never re-dubbed Pikachu's voice from the original by Ootani Ikue - they didn't need to. Pikachu conveys and communicates just fine without needing to be "mainstreamed" into using actual words.

So I have problems with that.

To me this is just a blatant attempt to feed off the franchise and get money from an English speaking audience. It's not really "Pokemon", it's basically western Pokemon fanfiction with a big production budget behind it.

But eh, each to their own. For me the deal-breaker is that they stopped using Ootani Ikue's voice. I have a serious issue with voice changes for characters. Even ones who don't speak in language.

Furry Pikachu is actually at the bottom of my concern list.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:03:37 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 04:11:50 AM »
And Pikachu doesn't need to speak. Much less he shouldn't be speaking in English, ever, not even given how the movie is trying to handle that. There's a reason that the animation never re-dubbed Pikachu's voice from the original by Ootani Ikue - they didn't need to. Pikachu conveys and communicates just fine without needing to be "mainstreamed" into using actual words.

So I have problems with that.

To me this is just a blatant attempt to feed off the franchise and get money from an English speaking audience. It's not really "Pokemon", it's basically western Pokemon fanfiction with a big production budget behind it.

But eh, each to their own. For me the deal-breaker is that they stopped using Ootani Ikue's voice. I have a serious issue with voice changes for characters. Even ones who don't speak in language.

Furry Pikachu is actually at the bottom of my concern list.

What are your thoughts on the original game where Pikachu speaks (in Japanese and English with a man's voice). Because that's where this spin is coming from. A human speaking Pikachu exists only because Hiroyuki Jinnai shattered the rules.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:24:31 AM by banditpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal