collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mold? Age spots?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline milko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Mold? Age spots?
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »
The other day I bought a few ponies that need repairing and I preemptively decided to take one of their heads off and found this

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:cry: is this what i’ve heard referred to as “pony cancer”? Or is it mould?
It seems to be contagious since the body and the head both have similar marks.
Is there anything I can do to remove it or stop it from spreading? I’m lucky it’s not on the outer part of the body, but I’m still scared of anything potentially removing the flocking since she is a SS pony.

Any thoughts?

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: Mold? Age spots?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
From the looks of it, it does look like pony cancer. As for treatment just try and clean the area as best as possible to help with spreading. So far there isn't a solid way to get rid of it :(

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »
Yes an age spot. It's caused by fungus so it spreads by being in a warm moist environment, not by touching. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Cancer

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline milko

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
From the looks of it, it does look like pony cancer. As for treatment just try and clean the area as best as possible to help with spreading. So far there isn't a solid way to get rid of it :(
:cry: That’s what I was scared of.... at least it’s in a less visable spot than it could’ve been in....

Yes an age spot. It's caused by fungus so it spreads by being in a warm moist environment, not by touching. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Cancer
Oh ok, my house is pretty dry so hopefully it won’t spread any further.
In your link it says hydrogen peroxide soaks can possibly remove them, would that be safe on a so soft pony? I suppose if it does get damaged I could deflock her but it feels like a shame...

Thank you both for the info!

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:37:00 AM »
hydrogen peroxide can be used, and i've talked to a few people who've done it and it's held up so far (~2 years later, obviously with careful management of storage conditions). i'm not sure if it would be safe on so softs, though... i'm not 100% sure on it, but i feel like it would loosen the glue or damage the flocking... but, to be perfectly honest, it does look like it's rubbing off at least on the wings... so it may be worth a try?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:13 AM »
Yeah, hydrogen peroxide will loosen the flocking. It's best just to put the head back on (or in your case, glue it) and leave it as is.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
Also now you can see inside the pony and why you shouldn't just carve into the neck with a blade to cut their heads off - there's a plug there so you can get the head back on without glue :( 

That's an age spot.  Not much you can do other than keep the pony in the best storage conditions you can. No it is not contagious, but if it's happened because of poor storage, and you still have said poor storage going on, it will continue to get worse faster. 

Don't put anything besides cold water and liquid dish soap on So-Softs or the flocking is liable to start coming off.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline milko

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
hydrogen peroxide can be used, and i've talked to a few people who've done it and it's held up so far (~2 years later, obviously with careful management of storage conditions). i'm not sure if it would be safe on so softs, though... i'm not 100% sure on it, but i feel like it would loosen the glue or damage the flocking... but, to be perfectly honest, it does look like it's rubbing off at least on the wings... so it may be worth a try?

Yeah it’s rubbed off a bit on the wings mostly but doesnt have much rubbing elsewhere... I suppose i’ll try a few things first and if worse comes to worse i’ll deflock her or just store her away :(

Yeah, hydrogen peroxide will loosen the flocking. It's best just to put the head back on (or in your case, glue it) and leave it as is.
Dang ok, thank you for the information, I guess i’ll have to do that....

Also now you can see inside the pony and why you shouldn't just carve into the neck with a blade to cut their heads off - there's a plug there so you can get the head back on without glue :( 

That's an age spot.  Not much you can do other than keep the pony in the best storage conditions you can. No it is not contagious, but if it's happened because of poor storage, and you still have said poor storage going on, it will continue to get worse faster. 

Don't put anything besides cold water and liquid dish soap on So-Softs or the flocking is liable to start coming off.

Yeah, I know but she was one of the cases where the plug has fused with the side of the neck, is there a better way of getting the head off in that case? Avoiding hot water since she’s SS. (I’m still trying to fish the plug out slowly so I can bond it back with the head but it’s been a slow process since it’s pretty stuck)

Ok, hopefully she will be fine here then since my house isn’t very humid at all, thank you for the info!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
You can carefully cut the plug away from the neck :) Once you get it started you can usually pry it away or use a tool and/or more cutting to help. For future reference, you might want to check before making a drastic move like that though...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline milko

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
You can carefully cut the plug away from the neck :) Once you get it started you can usually pry it away or use a tool and/or more cutting to help. For future reference, you might want to check before making a drastic move like that though...

I tried for awhile even after and I still just cannot get it out :( it’s completely melted into the wall of the neck as far as i can tell...
I’ll probably give it another go later but after a full hour of trying today I’m not sure what more I can do  >_< except I guess get a bigger knife, but that seems more risky than what i’ve already done

[Edit] OH I SPOKE TOO SOON I tried prying it for a bit like you said to and it finally came out! There’s this weird melted plastic film on it that I think was melted to the inside? O.o Thank you so much for the advice, going to clean up the plug and reapply it to the head as nicely as possible but I’ll definitely try that method before beheading like that again....

Post Merge: November 10, 2018, 11:38:24 PM

And here is her neck firmly attached back on her head for posterity (still haven’t tried anything on the spot yet though   ^^;  )
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:40:15 PM by milko »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
That looks a lot better! They used glue on the neck plugs, so it's probably that.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »
I honestly don't know how to help. I think that usually an oxyclean boil will help lessen pony cancer but then again it really would not be too good for So-soft ponies or bright hair. Maybe a light bleach bath...now I don't know what I'm saying :huh:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:34:36 PM by fanime5 »

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »
In your link it says hydrogen peroxide soaks can possibly remove them, would that be safe on a so soft pony? I suppose if it does get damaged I could deflock her but it feels like a shame...

Thank you both for the info!

I wouldn't bother if it's just one spot and where you can't see it.  The peroxides soaks work, but would probably ruin her flocking and are really hard on things like their hair.  Read the materials section of the site too, it goes into more detail about the side effects.  I do hydrogen peroxide/sun soaks all the time, but it's for ponies who the spots are really ruining them, not ponies who just have a minor issue with it.

Usually, the spots won't spread if you keep the pony stored in a place with low humidity.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline milko

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »

I wouldn't bother if it's just one spot and where you can't see it.  The peroxides soaks work, but would probably ruin her flocking and are really hard on things like their hair.  Read the materials section of the site too, it goes into more detail about the side effects.  I do hydrogen peroxide/sun soaks all the time, but it's for ponies who the spots are really ruining them, not ponies who just have a minor issue with it.

Usually, the spots won't spread if you keep the pony stored in a place with low humidity.
Ok, yeah I agree with you then. I was worried about it spreading since I’ve seen people “quarantine” their ponies with spots, but it’s good to know that it can be prevented without doing that.
Thank you so much for the info, and for your amazing site!   :biggrin:

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
I think she looks like a nice pony!  ^.^  One little spot on the inside doesn't count as a flaw in my book. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal