collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Moving Out of State - Recommendations?  (Read 5967 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Out of State - Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
I’m from the UK but I love this thread! It’s making me want to move to the US sooo much! It’s a shame teachers aren’t paid more over there :(

I mean... it depends on the state and district... the US is pretty big, and not all states/districts are the same...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. So far I'm thinking Arizona, mostly due to the weather. I want HEAT. My Raynaud's affects me so badly...it's torture living anywhere that experiences winter, however mild.

I'm hoping to visit AZ over the winter, specifically Tucson area. I like that it's spread out with a decent population, and there are affordable housing options in styles I actually LIKE unlike the East Coast which are all colonial types with siding (which is not me at all). I'm not worried about it surpassing 100 degrees, but since having lasik surgery, my eyes tend to dry out in winter with the dry indoor heat. So I'd have to see how I do in summer which it's severely hot.

A few "back up" cities are Santa Fe, Dallas, and Austin, but Tucson appeals to me the most. I guess I'll see what I think when I visit...

Whatever I decide, I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I guess it would be better to move out there and rent for a little while so I can actually view houses, but that raises all sorts of other issues...putting my excess furniture in storage, having to deal with potentially noisy tenants (I vowed I'd never rent again after the current situation I'm dealing with). Has anyone else ever bought a house across the country? If so, how did you do it?

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
I grew up in the largest city in Eastern Washington (Spokane) and the traffic / public transit is pretty bad.  Also IMO there is really no sense of community.

The Tri Cities aren't that bad. It is really dry though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:43:38 PM by BubbleTea »
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
Has anyone else ever bought a house across the country? If so, how did you do it?

My dad was in the Air Force so we moved every two years or so.  When we were about to move and we were sure we weren't getting Base Housing, my parents would take a trip out to where we were to move and look at houses, sometimes contacting realtors over the phone ahead of time so that they could look only at houses that fit our needs and were in the budget allowed by the military.  If they knew someone in the area (we lived in Great Falls, MT three times so by the third time we had friends waiting for us to come back) they would put out feelers for available houses. 

Since we now have internet listings, you could probably start there and then contact the appropriate realtor.  Or if you happen to know someone in the area whose judgement you trust they could probably scout out places for you.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 05:27:40 AM »
Thank you all for the advice. So far I'm thinking Arizona, mostly due to the weather. I want HEAT. My Raynaud's affects me so badly...it's torture living anywhere that experiences winter, however mild.

I'm hoping to visit AZ over the winter, specifically Tucson area. I like that it's spread out with a decent population, and there are affordable housing options in styles I actually LIKE unlike the East Coast which are all colonial types with siding (which is not me at all). I'm not worried about it surpassing 100 degrees, but since having lasik surgery, my eyes tend to dry out in winter with the dry indoor heat. So I'd have to see how I do in summer which it's severely hot.

A few "back up" cities are Santa Fe, Dallas, and Austin, but Tucson appeals to me the most. I guess I'll see what I think when I visit...

Whatever I decide, I'm not sure the best way to go about it. I guess it would be better to move out there and rent for a little while so I can actually view houses, but that raises all sorts of other issues...putting my excess furniture in storage, having to deal with potentially noisy tenants (I vowed I'd never rent again after the current situation I'm dealing with). Has anyone else ever bought a house across the country? If so, how did you do it?
If you're thinking of heading out to Arizona, Himmie has moved back out there and may be able to throw some more info at you....

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
I’m from the UK but I love this thread! It’s making me want to move to the US sooo much! It’s a shame teachers aren’t paid more over there :( (and you know...Trump XD)

Do not be fooled. Trump is NOT our only problem. ALL of the politicians, on both sides of the aisle, are trash. They sold their souls to the highest bidder for money and power. None of them represent the people who elected them. It does matter if you are on the left or right, they are ALL bad!!!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 01:32:35 AM »
I’m from the UK but I love this thread! It’s making me want to move to the US sooo much! It’s a shame teachers aren’t paid more over there :( (and you know...Trump XD)

Do not be fooled. Trump is NOT our only problem. ALL of the politicians, on both sides of the aisle, are trash. They sold their souls to the highest bidder for money and power. None of them represent the people who elected them. It does matter if you are on the left or right, they are ALL bad!!!

My main point was that compared to teachers in the U.K., teaching isn’t as well paid in the US in every state that I’ve looked at. I don’t want to get into politics but I’ll have to disagree that they are all as bad as each other!

Tuney have you decided where you want to move to yet?

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
I haven't decided yet. Still exploring all my options, including renting here another year or two while I save up a bit more.

But I'd like to start planning to trip to AZ to check things out, maybe in March or April.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal