collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has Hasbro really given up on the brushables line?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline legodrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Has Hasbro really given up on the brushables line?
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
I write this because the releases have been so sparse, and so unappealing, mane six re-releases and no no-mane six characters at all.
The two packs (with Sandbar and Silverstream) are so hard to come by and the Mlp section in all stores have been unchanged for a long time.  -_-
Just saw some “new stuff” coming on the Entertainment Earth page and it is just literally more of the same. I have reached a point where it’s just “why bother”  :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:02:43 AM by legodrew »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Has Hasbro really given up on the brushables line?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:19:05 AM »
The lack of new toys this year makes me really feel like this gen is winding down. The MLP sections at both Target and Walmart have dramatically shrunk. It really is time for something fresh and new.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
Well like tailrust said. This gen is winding down. Plus the School of Magic sets are very new, so don't expect a whole lot yet.

As for giving up? I don't think they are. Just further cheaping out.

Blame it on the Evil Xerox machine they've got working as head of the toy factory.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline legodrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
Just before the G4 ended and the 4.5 began showing at stores, Hasbro released a ton of non mane six characters (the pearlies, the last TRU exclusive with the Flower ponies) etc. Now that this gen is getting to an end, is the complete opposite.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
I too think they're getting ready for the next generation.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »

At this point you start to see the pattern of it. It wasn't really like that between G1 and G2, but between G2 and G3 (at least in Europe) you start to see a wind down/things only reaching certain areas, then G3 to 3.5 to 4 similar kind of thing happened in my opinion. I feel like G4 has been basically dead in the stores since the movie. That seemed like the "finale" of the toyline to me, nothing has kind of happened since then that's worth taking note of toywise (certainly not in the UK where literally nothing new has appeared in several months)...

Also G4 are appearing more in charity shops and second hand sales. That's a good indication a line is reaching its end.

I really think Hasbro would do well to let MLP have a couple of years break and then come back with some new twist completely different from anything that's gone before - but I think they've got unimaginative so expect minor twists on the same boring themes in the next year or two I guess...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

At this point you start to see the pattern of it. It wasn't really like that between G1 and G2, but between G2 and G3 (at least in Europe) you start to see a wind down/things only reaching certain areas, then G3 to 3.5 to 4 similar kind of thing happened in my opinion. I feel like G4 has been basically dead in the stores since the movie. That seemed like the "finale" of the toyline to me, nothing has kind of happened since then that's worth taking note of toywise (certainly not in the UK where literally nothing new has appeared in several months)...

Also G4 are appearing more in charity shops and second hand sales. That's a good indication a line is reaching its end.

I really think Hasbro would do well to let MLP have a couple of years break and then come back with some new twist completely different from anything that's gone before - but I think they've got unimaginative so expect minor twists on the same boring themes in the next year or two I guess...

I expect it. And it's disheartening to think they'll likely carry it over to the next gen too. Bah!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
As a pessimistic cranky old person I feel like MLP has probably been permanently damaged by the FIM phenomenon. NOT the existence of FIM itself or G4 but the fact it got such a rousing fandom unexpectedly. It means that probably now for the rest of eternity anything MLP will try to recapture that and therefore won't break away and try to be really original. Original seems to be a rare element these days anyway, but I genuinely feel that the phenomenon of the fandom community has probably broken MLP as a toy franchise worth collecting for any future generation.

There may be some cute toys or gimmicks. But the idea of them being brave enough to try something totally new...I just don't see it happening. I feel like if there is a new generation, the form it takes will basically dictate whether MLP as a toy franchise is basically replaced by a media tv series fandom storm, or whether there's still something to salvage from the wreckage of brony mayhem.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »
But...we're not even old. And they had such a beautiful and creative gen with the 3rd. Its amazing what a hard, boring fliparound they've had afterwards. *shakes head*

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
As loud as the bronies can be, most of MLP FIM's success boils down to kids connecting with the characters and wanting the toys. MLP FIM has been amazing for Hasbro monetarily and most of their money comes from parents buying for kids.

I do think we will see iterations of the Mane Six pretty much forever.  Hasbro has been longing to get a recognizable stable (ho ho horse pun) of MLP characters since G2, and now they do.  It has a lot of branding advantages. It does make things duller for collectors.  Like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee being omnipresent in ever iteration of Transformers.  It makes me a little sad.  But it is what it is.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
When I go into Walmart or Toys R Us(still have them in Canada) etc the MLP section has become teeny.  My area Walmarts are such miniscule areas of MLP that it's easy to have to look twice to find them.   It seems like the focus of toys at the moment are all the blind bag type toys, LOLs, capsule toys. They are everywhere.  I can't name all the surprise type toylines now and they aren't cheap either.   

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 03:43:38 PM »
It seems like the focus of toys at the moment are all the blind bag type toys, LOLs, capsule toys. They are everywhere.  I can't name all the surprise type toylines now and they aren't cheap either.

That's why they made Cutie Mark Crew. They are super deformed and cutesy. Even more so than the old blind bags. And they are big and can be stored together.
The toyline is slowly petering out but Hasbro has found ways to milk the last drop out of that udder.

Giving up on brushables would be giving up on the core of the franchise. Not gonna happen. There is too much competition on the market to give it up.
Like Spirit, Breyer, Barbie's horses... a horse toy with a brushable mane and tail is a classic toy and MLPs original form is a classic as well.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »
The checkout clerks at Target told me the most popular toys in the past couple years have been Shopkins, L.O.L., and a third brand I can't remember, but it too was of the "tiny surprise" variety.  They're definitely popular right now.

Yeah, "horse with brushable hair" is still a popular concept, I even see Shopkins horses and Barbie Princess horses with brushable manes.  And the pets of the Disney Princess Palace Pets, if those are still around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:20:24 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:55 PM »
I also feel that the all of the move related releases was Hasbro’s “big spectacular” before Gen 4 quietly fades away. There were so many releases and in my area the green bird pirate and some of the Mane 6 pirate ponies went on clearance. I think that’s why I never saw Captain Celeano in my area.

I also think Hasbro is getting ready to end G4. Some of the random episodes G4 DVDs have been found at Big Lots and Dollar Tree. That makes me think that Shout Factory is starting to take those DVDs out of print. The  brushable releases have slowed down since the flood of movie releases and the MLP section grows smaller and is now just a few feet of an aisle crowded in between other toy lines.

I think the Cutie Mark Crew are the result of Hasbro noticing the blind bag/surprise toy trend and trying to improve on their previous blind bag MLP toys since Cutie Mark Crews come with a stand, a home/display case (the capsule) and an accessory for them to sit it.

The School of Friendship sets are just starting to hit shelves.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
I always feel disappointed when I go to the MLP area in stores. It’s so small and uninspiring. In a way it makes it easier for me as a collector because I don’t feel the need to buy everything new. But I love the retro releases. It would be awesome if the kept going through the line but that seems unrealistic.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal