collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What do you think about brown, tan, grey, or black ponies?

I'm 100% on board!
50 (55.6%)
I'd have to see...
25 (27.8%)
Natural-coloured hair is okay.
3 (3.3%)
Natural-coloured body is okay.
2 (2.2%)
Nope!
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: "Natural" Colours on a Pony  (Read 16573 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: "Natural" Colours on a Pony
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »
I'm okay with it, dependind on how its done. But generally, I want my realistisc toy horsies realistic, and my fantasy horsies rainbow colored. Gray and black are fine.

Im with Leave a Whisper on that :)

Agreed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
It would be interesting, however I'd have to see how it's done. I like the idea of a natural colored body with colorful hair. For example, I feel like a pony with a grey body and dark, medium, and light blue hair would be pretty. Especially if it was a sea-themed pony like a dolphin or something. I think a Halloween pony that had a black body and lie purple, green, and orange colored hair would be cute.
I guess it's just colorful hair and a natural body for me  :P

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
I think LAW summed it up nicely.

I am personally not interested in realistic colours on my MLP. That works well for other lines.

And it's kind of daft to me to say Princess Pearl's colouring is natural because she's a pegasus with tinsel in her hair. How many of those have people seen in fields around lately? Seriously xD.

Also black with rainbow hair colouring is not natural either. It's still fantasy. So that's more about whether to broaden the palette to include black in fantasy colouring, it's not about using natural tones on ponies per se.

I have some twitches about people generalising MLP as being all girly and pastelly and pink. I mean, I wasn't a girly girl and if it had been that kind of toy when I was a kid, I wouldn't have wanted to collect them. And among my childhood earliest ponies were Masquerade - who is definitely not pastel and whose only pink is a tiny bit of symbol paint - and Shady (and I mean the proper hardcore movie shady, who basically sticks two hooves up to anyone who says pink is girly and delicate because it's such an in your face shade.)

Basically across all the gens there are a huge number of colour schemes and designs made possible by the wide use of different colour combinations, pastel and bold shades and so on. The line would not be able to exist or sustain itself if it was all about natural colours. It would have been one set, probably, and that would've been it because it couldn't go anywhere else, not with other realistic horses on the market to trample it out of business.

So anyway, I don't want natural coloured MLP. I don't have a problem with the occasional one, like Snuzzle, incorporating grey, or the black you see in that G3 pony with the blue hair or in Chrysalis (I think it's her?) in G4, but I'm not interested in natural tones otherwise. I like MLP because they're colourful and different and embrace the fantasy concept.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Grey, white and black are fine with me as long as the body or mane color is fancy.
Brown or beige is a no from me.

FiM made me dislike the idea of a naturally colored pony, especially with the weird obsession to make male ponies brown or grey with brown, black or blonde manes and therefore more boring/unremarkable.
You know, because making them colorful like they used to be would make too much sense.

I have no issue with fanchars that are naturally colored. They are more eye pleasing than the ones that are neon colors. And I would actually like the ponies to have natural patterns along with their symbols.
More blazes and stockings would be cute.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
I like MLP because they ARE colorful, that said, I would love to see them use mer of other colors than the typical pink. I think they did fairly well on this for G1, but the amount of pink ponies in G3 is... almost painful. I’ve never been a pink pony girl. Not even as a kid. My favourite nirvana pony is Macau Jenny- I like everything about that toy. So, I would be open to more natural ponies, AS long AS they still are MLP ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
I would LOVE some brown, black, and gray ponies! Seeing fresian, haflingers, lipizzaner inspired ponies would be a dream come true! and  However I would like them to have very colorful symbols that would stand out from their dull colors. Like, Hasbro could do a whole line of realistic colored ponies with rainbow colored symbols.
At the very least, I'd like some pinto and appaloosa markings, even if the colors are unnatural.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
Well, I love MLP characters in realistic horse colours but I think the main reason they look appealing is precicely because we're used to seeing MLP in fantasy colours. Ponies like Macau Jenny and the brown version of My Pretty Pony are adorable, but I'm happy that they are exceptions. Most FiM characters in natural colours just look dull and boring to me. I love natural coloured OCs, though. ;)

I'm with Zapper and poniesthatsparkle, I'd love to see more blazes, stockings, and dapple markings on ponies! 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
I'd enjoy blazes and stockings . . . not on every pony or even on most, but occasionally. :)

Since we're talking about more natural looks, the whole "all draft horses are boys in Ponyland" thing is silly.  So annoying!  Like the people who think all poodles are girls! If they are making a set of draft horse ponies, some should be girls and some should be boys. 
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »
I don't know, I kind of think they would not sell well since My Little Pony has always been splashes of color and fantasy.  If they started making things natural the entire concept of MLP might change. I can't decide how I would feel about My Little Pony being just like every little regular horse/pony toy already out there.  I think what makes it unique and a hot item is the fact it isn't like every little horse or pony for sale.  We have plenty of those types of toys already.  So, I would say no on this idea and I wonder what their reasoning is for having not done it. 

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 02:45:08 PM »
I like them here and there. I'd never want to have millions of naturally coloured MLPs, because there's other, more realistic horse toys for that. MLP should stick to mostly fantasy colours, IMO. But the occasional more natural colour, or natural body colour + fantasy hair colour (like Cherry Spices, Queen Chrysalis, Snuzzle, etc)... yes please!!

I'd LOVE more horse markings, though - blazes, appaloosa etc. Naturally coloured or otherwise :p again, prolly wouldn't want every other pony to have them, but if they showed up even occasionally that'd be great.. the only MLPs like that I can think of are Bubbles, Seashell, Pipsqueak and Troubleshoes (side note - G4, quit making just the boys more naturally coloured! I like those two, but dangit make some naturally coloured/patterned girls, too!)... oh and Luna? IIRC the black splotches on her flank are actual markings and not part of her symbol, right?

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »
I like them here and there. I'd never want to have millions of naturally coloured MLPs, because there's other, more realistic horse toys for that. MLP should stick to mostly fantasy colours, IMO. But the occasional more natural colour, or natural body colour + fantasy hair colour (like Cherry Spices, Queen Chrysalis, Snuzzle, etc)... yes please!!

I'd LOVE more horse markings, though - blazes, appaloosa etc. Naturally coloured or otherwise :p again, prolly wouldn't want every other pony to have them, but if they showed up even occasionally that'd be great.. the only MLPs like that I can think of are Bubbles, Seashell, Pipsqueak and Troubleshoes (side note - G4, quit making just the boys more naturally coloured! I like those two, but dangit make some naturally coloured/patterned girls, too!)... oh and Luna? IIRC the black splotches on her flank are actual markings and not part of her symbol, right?

There’s also Sunburst. 

I’m also in the camp that prefers ponies multi colored but would love more horse markings.  I wouldn’t mind if there were, say, one set of ponies made that are all natural colors.  I also wouldn’t mind if they found a way to incorporate black, grey and brown in with other fantasy colors.  Like maybe a pony with a brown and blue/teal color scheme.  But I’d still want them to be the exception.  I want the majority of ponies to be rainbow colored.

And I agree with the frustration that G4 colors so many of the boys with muted and muddy colors.

Back to the markings, wouldn’t it also be fun to have markings that aren’t symmetrical?  Like uneven socks/ stockings or not on all four legs.

Offline milko

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:12 PM »
I don’t think it should ever become the predominant colour scheme, but here and there it’s nice to have toned down colours! Its nice to have exceptions to the norm to add variety.
Though I’ve always liked the more toned down ponies anyway, like Applejack and Butterscotch.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
I like the ponies BECAUSE their colors are un-natural.  I also like Fashion Star Fillies and Fantasy Fillies.  Basically, the gaudier the better.  I have had a few people ask me to do customs of their own horses using MLP for the base.  In that case, I understand why someone would be into the real colors.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
Nope on natural colors!  If we had natural-colored ponies, they wouldn’t stand out from the other horse toys out there (though, I guess there aren’t as many of them these days).  I dunno, natural colors just bore me to tears.  Give me lots of pastel pinks and neons!  But, I’m a girly-girl, so that’s just my thinking on the subject. 

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: \"Natural\" Colours on a Pony
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
Troubleshoes

I only watched that episode once but I thought Troubleshoes was a regular horse and was really confused. The "YEAH!" pony also just looks like an albino horse. An ugly one :lol:

Sunburst is a positive example. He is fantasy colors and has a blaze. His mother has stockings. They are nice designs, imo.

I think blazes are a possibility because they are easy to apply on a toy. The rest is too expensive for Cheapsbro.

Post Merge: November 05, 2018, 04:02:56 PM

If they are making a set of draft horse ponies, some should be girls and some should be boys.

AJ should have been a draft like her brother. Or at the very least have the feathered hooves.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:02:56 PM by Zapper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal