collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Novi Stars?  (Read 16323 times)

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Novi Stars?
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »
I just remembered that these were a thing, I've never owned any but I genuinely think they're quite cute.

I want to buy some myself if I'm honest well when I have the money to XD. Does anyone collect these dolls? Are they worth buying? (like are they worth the price/material quality good?)

Also, has anyone made customs of these? If so what was your experience like? Share some pictures if you want, I'd love to see customs of these dolls!

So many questions
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:25:00 PM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Novi Stars?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
I don't have space to start collecting anything else, so I don't have any. But I do really want some eventually, haha. They're so pretty...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »
I don't have space to start collecting anything else, so I don't have any. But I do really want some eventually, haha. They're so pretty...
If I'm honest I don't have anywhere to put them either :P
They are super cute, I really want Ina Ferna XD

I've had trouble coming across them, there are some on eBay but I haven't seen them in the shops for ages...I'm guessing they weren't popular?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:22:58 PM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:58:19 AM »
Love love this line! I heard the quality can be a bit off sometimes but so far I've been lucky with my dolls. I own Roe Botik, Una Verse and Mae Tallik.

There are still shops here who carry them but they are trying to phase them out.

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:23:55 AM »
Love love this line! I heard the quality can be a bit off sometimes but so far I've been lucky with my dolls. I own Roe Botik, Una Verse and Mae Tallik.

There are still shops here who carry them but they are trying to phase them out.

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure I did read about the quality being a bit off somewhere before but I wasn't sure if it was Novi Stars dolls or not XD
The only place I've been able to find them is eBay so far, I've had no luck anywhere else, although some of the prices for the dolls are a bit... :blink:
Roe Botik is super pretty, I think it's the hair that does it for me and her name lol

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
oh I just caught this thread :-) love this line for a mash-up /custom novi head with MH jointed bodies :-) yes I have some for sale would be happy to keep it reasonable as that is what I love most about this board and community

I'll be back with pics - here's a recent one (have to update as I have done a few more easy customs)

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 01:18:02 AM »
I also like Novi Stars and have a few of them, customised or as is. They have been discontinued for some years now, which might be the reason why you can no longer find them in regular shops... In my country they have always been scarcely available (they were only carried by about 2 webshops, and were never available in stores), so mine are all from abroad (either ordered internationally by me, or bought locally from a shop that sells import used toys).

As for the quality: I heard that the first line was quite prone to arms falling/popping out and getting lost - I can't confirm, as  mine don't do that, but I also don't really play with them, so I don't know how durable they are during regular child's play. I did find some armless Novis in second-hand stores, so there has to be something in this.

All in all, I consider them more to be collectible figures with more detail and some doll-like features than dolls. Many of them only have 3 points of articulation (head and arms). Probably this is another reason whythey haven't been that popular and longlasting on the market - I remember when they came out people were discussing they cost a bit much, and I too think they were originally priced much higher than what they are worth. And especially for children. While adult collectors will pay that money for collectible figures, for a toy that can't really be posed during play, its hair tangles on the antennae and gets messy in a minute, and arms falling off all the time, they were a little too costly.

I own a few Novis who are WIP and planned customs, but I haven't actually got there. I should really do... While I like their small size, I think MH body portions are more suitable for some of them, so I have two on MH bodies (Orbit Beach Una and original Ari Roma). I have an old picture of Ari (I still need to remove the black stripes from the body, as I do not think they suit Ari), but Una is not yet pictured (I never got around to decide what she should wear, so currently she' sitting on the shelf naked  :lookround: )

(this second Ari in the box is actually for sale, but you might find better deals from local sellers :) )

I also have Malie Tasker whom I plan to modify this way, but while I do have two MH bodies ready for the project, I haven't yet made myself ready to destroy one of them just to get another pair of hands for her.

I have Tily Vizon, Orbit Beach Mae Tallick, Nita Light and Original Una Verse on original Novi bodies. Una is swapped to an Anne Arctic body I bought separately (her yellow legs just killed my OCD). Now - apart from her eyeshadow - she's all blue and white :) I snapped a pic of her (and my newly made glass light decorations XD ) She is a permanent desk companion of mine, I adore her :)

Tily Vizon was bought here from pinkkittywinks <3 She's also not fully ready, and thus I also don't have pics of her (I only have pkw's original pic). I removed the yellow springs and brown mesh tubes from her hair, as I think they were clashing with her colour scheme. They will be replaced with similar attachments in different colours - I have everything in hand, so I should really work on her... I'll post a pic once she's ready.

I would love to find Vera Tabray for a price I'm willing to pay for her, and I'd also love to have another Nita whose head I could put on a Bratzillaz Midnight Beach body. It always bugged me about her that her body does not glow in the dark, only her head, but I love her original proportions too much to customise mine.

maycrestmom, is this Ina Ferna the one that travelled across the ocean from me to you? It's good to see she's still hanging around - and rockin' that new body! :cool:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
yeah I think my favorite as the novi-s themselves are the two robot-ish ones = they did a different body style and are taller

I was hopeful when they did that 4-set - doe, justina, carmela and frostina - I was really hopeful for an improvement but it seems that was the end of the line as far as production since it seems they fell into that "creepy but not" catagory as far as doll-types = the uncanny valley. 

I'm not sure if my dragon-ina was the one you sent... I admittedly have done a few customs with her head and then I have my boxed version so, yea admittedly I have been having fun doing mash ups when I find a good ebay lot or board trade or similar

if these dolls do come back I really hope for better jointed bodies 'cause they have IMO a much better time "modeling" on my shelves with buddies that way

so I know I am biased but I say = customize away :-)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 04:46:47 PM by maycrestmom »

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Haha, no worries :) I'm happy you found good deals and now have multiples - I remember back then you were struggling to find some of the girls for reasonable prices, as eBay sales were so inflated...

Your Malie and Tula look so good! Seeing Tula on the MH CAM body makes me want her too - uh-oh... I must resist! I do not need more Novis on my wishlist, I already have more than what I planned :D

I just realised StrawberrySundance asked about customising experiences, and I forgot to share mine. Since so far I've only done rebodying to MH bodies, that's the only thing I can talk about, but my main experience is that it's a freakin' nightmare to pop the heads on the MH body. I struggled so much with both Ari and Una - especially with Una. I remember I've worked on her for days, constantly stopping as I had enough and the head was still not going on fully. The process even left some concentric marks around her neck, on her head. I don't mind them, as the shape of the head helps disguising them if you aren't looking at her from the bottom up, but still... I guess this is one of the reasons why I haven't yet got around to do another rebodying -_- I may have not managed to soften the head enough (it might have been easier with a heating pad, but I do not own one, so I did it with hot water). maycrestmom, do you have a good and struggle-free method for popping the heads on a MH body?

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
I have a heating pad and it really made the job very easy very quickly so I would recommend a heat pad

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 01:44:11 AM »
Oh my gosh I LOVE Novi Stars! I own the entire line sans two, as they so perfectly fit my aesthetic :heart:
I don't have any customs, but I did create a series of concept drawings for my own 'reboot' of the line.
The idea is that gimmicks are arranged by set theme now, thus allowing for different price points for different assortments instead of having to raise/lower the price of the overall range to make profits split even, as that was something which greatly impacted sales in my country, the overall price for such a small doll ;)

'Stellar Scents'

'Galactic Glitter (Wave One)'

'Galactic Glitter (Wave Two)'

'Stardust Stage Playset with Moonie Beam'

'Galaxy Glow'

'Totally Transparent'

'Extraterrestrial Elements'
I finally found my grail! :heart:

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »
Sorry everyone! Been on and off the arena last week with Christmas and stuff :P

oh I just caught this thread :-) love this line for a mash-up /custom novi head with MH jointed bodies :-) yes I have some for sale would be happy to keep it reasonable as that is what I love most about this board and community

I'll be back with pics - here's a recent one (have to update as I have done a few more easy customs)

These are so pretty, well done maycrestmom! Novi Stars actually look amazing with MH bodies!

I also like Novi Stars and have a few of them, customised or as is. They have been discontinued for some years now, which might be the reason why you can no longer find them in regular shops... In my country they have always been scarcely available (they were only carried by about 2 webshops, and were never available in stores), so mine are all from abroad (either ordered internationally by me, or bought locally from a shop that sells import used toys).

As for the quality: I heard that the first line was quite prone to arms falling/popping out and getting lost - I can't confirm, as  mine don't do that, but I also don't really play with them, so I don't know how durable they are during regular child's play. I did find some armless Novis in second-hand stores, so there has to be something in this.

All in all, I consider them more to be collectible figures with more detail and some doll-like features than dolls. Many of them only have 3 points of articulation (head and arms). Probably this is another reason whythey haven't been that popular and longlasting on the market - I remember when they came out people were discussing they cost a bit much, and I too think they were originally priced much higher than what they are worth. And especially for children. While adult collectors will pay that money for collectible figures, for a toy that can't really be posed during play, its hair tangles on the antennae and gets messy in a minute, and arms falling off all the time, they were a little too costly.

I own a few Novis who are WIP and planned customs, but I haven't actually got there. I should really do... While I like their small size, I think MH body portions are more suitable for some of them, so I have two on MH bodies (Orbit Beach Una and original Ari Roma). I have an old picture of Ari (I still need to remove the black stripes from the body, as I do not think they suit Ari), but Una is not yet pictured (I never got around to decide what she should wear, so currently she' sitting on the shelf naked  :lookround: )

(this second Ari in the box is actually for sale, but you might find better deals from local sellers :) )

I also have Malie Tasker whom I plan to modify this way, but while I do have two MH bodies ready for the project, I haven't yet made myself ready to destroy one of them just to get another pair of hands for her.

I have Tily Vizon, Orbit Beach Mae Tallick, Nita Light and Original Una Verse on original Novi bodies. Una is swapped to an Anne Arctic body I bought separately (her yellow legs just killed my OCD). Now - apart from her eyeshadow - she's all blue and white :) I snapped a pic of her (and my newly made glass light decorations XD ) She is a permanent desk companion of mine, I adore her :)

Tily Vizon was bought here from pinkkittywinks <3 She's also not fully ready, and thus I also don't have pics of her (I only have pkw's original pic). I removed the yellow springs and brown mesh tubes from her hair, as I think they were clashing with her colour scheme. They will be replaced with similar attachments in different colours - I have everything in hand, so I should really work on her... I'll post a pic once she's ready.

I would love to find Vera Tabray for a price I'm willing to pay for her, and I'd also love to have another Nita whose head I could put on a Bratzillaz Midnight Beach body. It always bugged me about her that her body does not glow in the dark, only her head, but I love her original proportions too much to customise mine.

maycrestmom, is this Ina Ferna the one that travelled across the ocean from me to you? It's good to see she's still hanging around - and rockin' that new body! :cool:

I went into a second hand shop the other month and spotted a headless Mae Tallick! XD poor thing, I think her head was tied to her body with a rubber band, wish I bought her and fixed her up!
I totally agree they do look cute with their original bodies but the Monster high bodies are even better plus they've got more articulation now XD I too would definitely consider them collectables rather than toys.

Only Nita Light's head glows in the dark? Man that sucks, that's such a silly design decision the company made :( I think she'd look awesome with a Bratzilla's body! I never owned any Bratzilla's from the Midnight Beach line, I'd love to see that custom Loona!

yeah I think my favorite as the novi-s themselves are the two robot-ish ones = they did a different body style and are taller

I was hopeful when they did that 4-set - doe, justina, carmela and frostina - I was really hopeful for an improvement but it seems that was the end of the line as far as production since it seems they fell into that "creepy but not" catagory as far as doll-types = the uncanny valley. 

I'm not sure if my dragon-ina was the one you sent... I admittedly have done a few customs with her head and then I have my boxed version so, yea admittedly I have been having fun doing mash ups when I find a good ebay lot or board trade or similar

if these dolls do come back I really hope for better jointed bodies 'cause they have IMO a much better time "modeling" on my shelves with buddies that way

so I know I am biased but I say = customize away :-)

Tily Vizion and Roe Botik are awesome! But I think Ina Ferna will always be my favourite, I love fire-themed stuff haha :P

I would totally love to see them come back, definitely with more articulation.

These customs are so awesome maycrestmom! They honestly look so adorable with MH bodies! :squee: Malie Tasker and the TY beanie is so cute!

Oh my gosh I LOVE Novi Stars! I own the entire line sans two, as they so perfectly fit my aesthetic :heart:
I don't have any customs, but I did create a series of concept drawings for my own 'reboot' of the line.
The idea is that gimmicks are arranged by set theme now, thus allowing for different price points for different assortments instead of having to raise/lower the price of the overall range to make profits split even, as that was something which greatly impacted sales in my country, the overall price for such a small doll ;)

'Stellar Scents'

'Galactic Glitter (Wave One)'

'Galactic Glitter (Wave Two)'

'Stardust Stage Playset with Moonie Beam'

'Galaxy Glow'

'Totally Transparent'

'Extraterrestrial Elements'

Crystal-Sushi, these are so adorable! :heart:
I love how you've also created male characters for the line too :D
The Galactic Glitter lines are my favourites, especially Milly K. Way and Solar Syztem! Great job on the concepts!

Post Merge: December 30, 2018, 12:06:43 PM

Just found out that there was an unreleased 'Dragon Novi Star' she looks absolutely amazing! I wish they released her :/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:07:12 PM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »
Aww thankyou so much! I tried to mix new characters in with original ones, and obviously this included some boys, so I had to figure out what a male Novi would look like haha :)
Milly is probably my favourite too, I love how she turned out!
There's actually a few digital sculpts for unreleased Novis floating around, I gathered up all I can on my website;
 https://crystallinetoybox.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/novi-stars-what-couldve-been/
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Oh wow, I have never come across these digital sculpts before - I LOVE that mermaid :dribble: and the punk sheep/lizard hybrid creature is also super cute, loving the pose and the way the head is positioned - to me though, it looks like a sassy little space dog. I'm totally sad now that these did not make it to production :(

Crystal-Sushi, I think I've commented on your art before, but I'll say it again - the concept drawings you've created are fabulous! Your ideas are so creative, and the characters and lines you created fit in so nicely with the original themes.

Only Nita Light's head glows in the dark? Man that sucks, that's such a silly design decision the company made :( I think she'd look awesome with a Bratzilla's body! I never owned any Bratzilla's from the Midnight Beach line, I'd love to see that custom Loona!
Yep. Her body is simple transparent plastic (and even the least articulated type). Thats such a missed opportunity/lame decision on the company's side IMO... Probably they did it because the energy pod already lights up, and its lights can come through her body? But then why make the head glow? I think it's even a little creepy - imagine a little kid turns the pod off, and Bam! There's a glowing head -.-; If I ever come across a second Nita and do this, I'll make sure I post it here - though I still like her original proportions more, I wish there was a way to make the body glow... I thought of painting it with GitD paint, but I don't think I could make the painting even enough (and if I could, it would surely chip during posing and dressing) for it not to kill my OCD...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:45:11 PM by Loona »

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
likewise = wowza Crystal-Sushi :-0 thank you!!  that is really cool to see the conceptual design of the line :-)

and yes, Loona, love the fire-y light up feature = I wish there was a way to make mine a night light and it would really be cool in the display IMO

meantime I will have fun with how I am working in a novi for my minty herd

and found a way to memorialize our trip to AZ and grand canyon :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:27:20 AM by maycrestmom »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal