collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do I spot a re-hair?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
How do I spot a re-hair?
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »
Hi there everyone
Recently I bought a Mountain boy Sunburst and when I received him I noticed immediately his hair felt strange. It was thinner and more slippery then any pony hair I've felt before.

I opened the head up halfway and noticed the original washer and clamp are in there but I'm sure it's not difficult to reuse the clamp.

After that I asked the seller about it and she said the texture was due to a treatment she put on the hair called show sheen and will wash out. Actually I had already washed him at this point and the hair feels the same. And the tail just looks thinner than usual.

She is upfront about other types of restoration work in her other listings but I know a re-hair would lower the value more than other types of work.

Is there anyway to confirm a re-hair? What do you think about this situation?

Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How do I spot a re-hair?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:16:43 AM »
What does the inside of his head look like? You could compare that to another pony to see if it looks like it was messed with.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:49:21 AM »
Can you post a picture of him?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SaraMari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:16:57 AM »
It looks about the same inside the head as far as I can see though it is difficult. However I feel around the hair inside and it was all sticky with glue. I've not felt sticky got inside a pony mane before

I can post pictures later today

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »
I would scrutinize the weave in the head...

and then compare that hair to the tail?

but ugh, the seller shouldn't be putting product in pony hair.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
If she has used show sheen it can take multiple washes to come out. I know I did an inhand show this summer and it took at least a month of rain before it came out of sams coat. He had a wearied texture when I stroked him for ages

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »
It looks about the same inside the head as far as I can see though it is difficult. However I feel around the hair inside and it was all sticky with glue. I've not felt sticky got inside a pony mane before

I can post pictures later today

I've never heard of in-head sticky on a pony, either. That doesn't sound great regarding rehairing. You might also be able to tell by the cut of the hair and how it lies, though if the person is really skilled...? Colour matching might also be a clue. I am way away from my ponies at the moment, sadly, so I can't match my childhood Sunburst to anyone else, but maybe someone on here can find a good exact match for Sunburst among other ponies so you can see whether the hair he has is the right shade. IMO most replacement hair shades are not exact to the original, even when they are sold as being exact...

I seem to remember Sunburst's red is quite distinctive, as is the gold streak.

Also agree that putting product in pony hair is a bad thing to do. I have had pony hair rot away and fall out because of stuff left in pony hair that goes hard and then makes the fibres brittle. It just isn't worth it to make a pony look "shinier". And I don't know this particular product, but it doesn't sound like something that should be used on plastic ponies.

This is why I believe in marking rehairs, since it's more than possible this individual *didn't* rehair him, but it doesn't mean that he wasn't rehaired :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SaraMari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Now she's saying she didn't use any show sheen on it because I brought up the danger of using random chemicals on ponies lol. If this hair was not rehaired there has to be something done to it because it just doesn't feel right.

Taffeta you make a good point, it could've been the person the seller got this pony from that rehaired it.

I have some photos hopefully they work
Spoiler

The colors aren't so good in a couple but hopefully these are good enough to see what's going on.

Either way I guess this is a learning experience for me haha  >_<

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »
If it helps on the Show Sheen: it is a hair dressing for real-life horses. It is silicon-based.
Personally we don't use it on our native ponies as it makes the mane and tail hair brittle and liable to snap.

Have never used it on MLP so don't know what it does on nylon.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:04:42 PM »
as suggested I would look at the plugs, in rehairs often a plug might be missing along the hairline, sometime plugs might even be split.

Inside her head the mane would lack a weave, it's often easier to compare when looking at another ponies weave. I have seen one on eBay recently that I thought was a rehair but the rehair wasn't disclosed, the pony was tornado from memory

Offline SaraMari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
PoserBeachball thank you for the extra info on the show sheen, I'm not to sure what reactions silicone can have on nylon but it is hydrophobic so it will be hard to remove.

Nhal039 thank you for the tips about what to look for, it's hard to see inside but I'll find a good flash light and try to a better look.

Anyhow the seller does not accept returns so I'll have to suck up the money lost but I want to be sure if it's fake hair so I can start looking for a donor

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 02:26:25 AM »
While I can't comment on Sunburst's particular hair shades, the cut and lay of his hair looks about right.  Most of the time when ponies are rehaired the plugs never quite curve correctly without a lot of training.  It is concerning that the inside of his head is sticky though - I wonder if it could be excess show sheen that soaked in?  Really not something that should have been used on a vintage toy.  :huh:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:57:53 AM »
I have to agree with Baby Sugarberry about the lie of his hair, rehairs don't usually manage to imitate the original shape quite so well. But the hair *looks* ok just from the photos. Though there are some very skilled people out there, it is possible there's another reason for the in head sticky.

If this is still a subject of concern in a week or so when I go home I will get my Sunburst out and do some comparisons. As I have had him from childhood I can be 100% that his hair is original, and it might help.

In the meantime, I only have this picture of my Sunburst. His hair does fall kind of funny, either because of how he was packaged or how I played with him (I had him when I was five xD) but it might  give some idea of colour/length/thickness comparison.
Spoiler

Edit to add: If anything would concern me between those two ponies it would be the forelock, actually, but then you can't rule out batch differences. Mountain Boys weren't sold for very long but they were sold in the UK and Scandinavia and I think even in Malaysia, and there might easily have been enough batches for significant variations in the hairing.

Second edit: Looking at other pictures of my other MBs, they all seem to have forelocks with fewer plugs than Sunburst does (two of those are also from childhood) so I suspect that could just be factory after all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:03:17 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 02:58:09 AM »
Just going by the pics, it looks genuine to me. The key will be what it looks like inside his head, factory weave or no.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:39 AM »
His hair looks real to me.  It has body / volume. Most rehairs have limp hair compared to genuine MLP hair (except some of the late-late ponies, like the Flower ponies and Romance ponies, who also have limp hair, lol.)

Worth noting that the gaps between hair plugs will look more obvious on a pony with a strong body color like his bold yellow. :)

Edit:  I too think the stickiness could be due to show sheen leaking into the head through the hair-plug holes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:06:02 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal