collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do YOU Rehair?  (Read 12670 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
How do YOU Rehair?
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
I remember when I just started getting into MLP, I would read about the floss and needle method. Now, the rehair tool is all over the place...
How do YOU like to rehair? Have you tried both methods? Do you have a different method you use?
I'd be scared about the glue causing the hair to get loose, so I'm needle and floss all day and night. I'm sure the tool is a bit quicker, though!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do YOU Rehair?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:33:13 AM »
I knot individual plugs and then thread each one.  It's tedious but quite secure and completely reversible.  Some of my customs are 20+ years old and they've held up just as well as factory weave. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 05:00:02 AM »
I used to do the needle and floss thing, it ruined my thumbs (as in the joints now tend to lock). So I'm happy with my rehair tool. The glue I use is slightly thicker and usually keeps the hair in place just fine ^_^

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:09 AM »
For ponies and some of my dolls I use the re root method, but for my dolls now I use the needle method (much more better than reroot the doll because the hair falls out). I have to use forceps to pull the needle through the hole.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 06:54:18 AM »
I only know the rehair tool method, but instead of ordering one online, I crafted one (well, two, I had broken it  :drunk:) out of a sewing needle. I cut the hole diagonally and it mimics the original tool pretty well. I managed to rehair my Tex with nylon just fine and I also rehaired a custom with yarn. Easy as pie. :D

What the other methods look like ? I don't get it when people describe it. Does anyone have at least a pictured tutorial, or better, a video about them, please ?  :blush:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 06:59:10 AM »
This is the best tutorial I can find with good pictures of the needle and floss method. I can't find any videos, they all detail the rehair tool method.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »
Ohh, thank you ! :D
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
I'm currently at my first attempt, so it's a bit experimental. For now, I'm going with doing doll hair from yarn. (There's a youtube tutorial for that!! I can link it) As the easiest method I have seen simply sewing the yarn to it's place one by one and knotting the yarns ends instead of glue. Then I'll make the actual hair out of the yarns.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 02:31:04 AM »
The process I use isn't complicated.  Size the strands of hair into plugs, knot the ends. Thread a soft sculpture doll needle down through the plug and out the neck hole, pass the ends of the hair through, pull it back out. Repeat a whole lot of times until every plug is full. It's similar to the needle and floss method but only one plug at a time instead of two, and can thus be used with shorter hair.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
I've tried both but prefer using the tool. The knot method was a bit hard on my hands too. I like the time saving of the tool and I never noticed the glue giving any issues with hair falling out. I don't think a certain method is superior though; each person will have their preference and fit.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
I prefer the needle & floss method, although instead of floss I use strong cotton thread. I use the rehair tool only when I must: G4 heads are usually too small for the needle & floss method, and puffy wool manes also need to be done with the tool.

I see advantages to both methods, the tool is quick but for me it's messier because I can't prepare the plugs beforehand. The floss method takes longer but it's kind of meditative too. I usually prepare all my plugs first (knot, glue, and cut to length), then start rehairing. For me this is the easier way especially when I want to do blends of several colours. I waste more hair with the tool method because it's all over the place, lol.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »
I use the tool to make a knot when I'm working with enough hair.  Tie a loose knot in the strand, run the longer end of the tool's prong through the center of the knot (make sure to catch the hair IN the prongs!), push tool into head, pull tool out.  The knot stays behind and when you remove the tool it can fully tighten.  Then just glue it all in to make sure it stays. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
I use the tool method, occasionally I use the needle and thread method.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 04:17:40 AM »
I started customizing back in 2005 with the needle (and floss) method. Dental floss worked fine, later I changed it to fishing thread size 0.25 mm. It is way more durable than the floss method. For a few years it was my method of choice. However when you don't choose the correct amount of hair (especially too much) then you see the bend where you pulled on the hair. This method works well for fine hair like nylon but it's not the best for polypropylene due to the stiffness and saran due to the fine hair. And this method is the hell when you have a very hard plastic to work with and in general it's time consuming.

Since about 6 years I use the tool method with the tool that was sold once by Pop-Girl (see pic below). I still have the original tool and replace just the needles in case they break occasionally. I never tested the wooden tool and therefore hadn't any bad experiences with this some other customizers reported about. The tool by Pop-Girl always worked fine with all hair types, even hard pony plastic is easier to be treated with it. It's faster than the needle method and the glue I use never leaked through the holes and no hair became loose. You need to spread the glue of course with a tooth pick or better with an ice cream popsickle inside the head and need to let it dry fully before you do anything with it but it works well. 

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s81.photobucket.com/user/pop-girl/media/Toolwithcap.jpg.html.

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:27:58 PM »
I used to only do needle and floss method, but since my arthristis got a bit worse I use a rehair tool now, to hold the hair in place I use a layer of sticky-tac waterproof glue
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal