collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acne cream victim or sunfaded?  (Read 14058 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Acne cream victim or sunfaded?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 03:57:01 PM »
It's sun/age damage.  I have a Mexi Firefly with identical damage that is only getting worse.  I realized she was in a miniscule sunbeam that leaks through the blinds in the pony room and moved her.  I also have a weird mash-up Mexican pony with Firefly's head that has never been in the sun at my house and has the same type of discoloration. 

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
It's how Mexican ponies age, they go a bit patchy, especially the pink ones!

Love pkw xxx

Most Perfume Palace ponies I have seen are either pink or yellowed, wich is why a color change this drastic feels really odd.

Post Merge: October 30, 2018, 10:57:26 AM

It's sun/age damage.  I have a Mexi Firefly with identical damage that is only getting worse.  I realized she was in a miniscule sunbeam that leaks through the blinds in the pony room and moved her.  I also have a weird mash-up Mexican pony with Firefly's head that has never been in the sun at my house and has the same type of discoloration.

Thank youu!!!! Thanks a lot. Good to hear an explanation from someone who knows these odd ponies. I just have never seen this on the Perfume Palace pony so it felt odd, most images I found were of pink ones or somewhat yellow ones.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:57:26 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Interesting!  I learned something from this thread! :)

It's so tricky with the less distributed ponies (Mexican, Brazilian, etc) because sometimes they develop issues due to being made with a different type of plastic, paint, etc, that the Hong Kong / China ponies just never have.  Like I've noticed on Greek ponies certain symbol colors fade / bleed like crazy, and Brazilian ponies have a different body plastic / texture that's kind of slick and almost tacky.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Interesting!  I learned something from this thread! :)

It's so tricky with the less distributed ponies (Mexican, Brazilian, etc) because sometimes they develop issues due to being made with a different type of plastic, paint, etc, that the Hong Kong / China ponies just never have.  Like I've noticed on Greek ponies certain symbol colors fade / bleed like crazy, and Brazilian ponies have a different body plastic / texture that's kind of slick and almost tacky.

I agree! It's always fun to get new nirvanas just to see how they work. Some are so strange, and especialy washers seems to vary greatly. But yes that too. For example brazilian ponies are apparently more fragile, but in a different way to HK/China ponies? I have heard some collector say they have never encountered age spots or such in brazilians, but my friend who lives in Brazil and remembers G1s she saw as a kid complained about how poor quality they are. I don't own any brazilian ponies myself yet, but I'm supposed to be getting four via the said friend at the end of the year. Two of them are pretty much in severe state that would be considered bait in common ponies, so it will definetly be interesting.
And I have noticed that issue with greeks merely from pictures as well!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
I used to own some Brazilian ponies and their hair was just awful, I wonder if that's what she meant?  It frizzes super easily and even when it's not frizzy, it's not silky.  More like fakie hair.

Mine also smelled like mildew but I think that's because the seller sent them through the mail wet.  (Yikes.)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 11:30:50 AM »
The hair on Brazil ponies is VERY fragile.

I have spoken to Brazil collectors, who had the ponies from new as children, and the hair frizzed as soon as the pony was removed from the card and first brushed :(

Mildew is NOT a pony smell! Wax crayons, baby powder, vanilla and soap are some of the scents of nirvana ponies have (ask Taffeta, apparently, I have a reputations for smelling ponies at PonyCon)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »
I used to own some Brazilian ponies and their hair was just awful, I wonder if that's what she meant?  It frizzes super easily and even when it's not frizzy, it's not silky.  More like fakie hair.

Mine also smelled like mildew but I think that's because the seller sent them through the mail wet.  (Yikes.)

I think she meant the bodies as well. :'D and yes I have heard. I can only imagine though, but pictures already tell a lot about brazilian ponies hair quality. It's a pleasure one or two of the ponies I'm getting will need a rehair.

And oh eww! That's terrible. ):

Oh and, some other oddities of variants: I have heard peruvians smell like crayons! And colombians are made of heavy rubber apparently.

Post Merge: October 31, 2018, 11:38:28 AM

The hair on Brazil ponies is VERY fragile.

I have spoken to Brazil collectors, who had the ponies from new as children, and the hair frizzed as soon as the pony was removed from the card and first brushed :(

Mildew is NOT a pony smell! Wax crayons, baby powder, vanilla and soap are some of the scents of nirvana ponies have (ask Taffeta, apparently, I have a reputations for smelling ponies at PonyCon)

Love pkw xxx

I have heard about that as well, though I didn't know it's THAT fragile! With some brazilians I have seen pictures of the hair looks more like a ball of a plush toys stuffings than hair, honestly.

And yup. HK/China ponies tend to smell old and weird at times but mildew smell on the other hand is always a bad sign. Though I think LadyMoondancer was referencing to my mention of having heard age spots and such are very very rare in brazilians?
Also I'm curious, what nirvanas smell like vanilla???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:38:28 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
I'm glad that the mildew smell isn't universal!  Poor ponies . . . I think the seller gave them a bath and then immediately packed them up.  They were in a plastic bag which made matters worse because the moisture couldn't escape the plastic.

But . . . they were a very good deal.  :P

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
Even perfect Brazil hair is weird.  I have one decarded by a collector (card was damaged in a way that could potentially harm the pony if left on it, but I don't know specifics) and the hair is shiny and smooth but the texture would never be mistaken for anything but Brazil hair.  It feels slightly oily and heavier than normal pony hair.

It makes me wonder if it isn't some sort of saran or similar. 

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »
I'm glad that the mildew smell isn't universal!  Poor ponies . . . I think the seller gave them a bath and then immediately packed them up.  They were in a plastic bag which made matters worse because the moisture couldn't escape the plastic.

But . . . they were a very good deal.  :P

Possibly moldy inside too. ):
And a good deal is always a good deal, I'm not paying a lot for my four brazilian ponies either.

Post Merge: October 31, 2018, 02:45:55 PM

Even perfect Brazil hair is weird.  I have one decarded by a collector (card was damaged in a way that could potentially harm the pony if left on it, but I don't know specifics) and the hair is shiny and smooth but the texture would never be mistaken for anything but Brazil hair.  It feels slightly oily and heavier than normal pony hair.

It makes me wonder if it isn't some sort of saran or similar.

I have understood so yes. (Mildew covered backcards happen) Interesting though. :o Very interesting. All my nirvanas except italians and mexican baby North Star are pretty much bait so I have no idea of how they are supposed to be.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:45:55 PM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »
The Greek ponies smell of vanilla :)

Skeen the Brazil hair is very fine indeed! I have met a de-carded Brazilian pony and her hair did feel oily, it was so fine and smooth. Saran is the closest thing to Brazil hair, but like you said you can't mistake Brazil hair for anything else ^.^

Brazil bodies do get issues, stickiness and patchy fading (I'm thinking of Sprinkles who seems prone to that), but it is the hair that is that stands out on them.

Love pkw xxx

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 03:51:36 AM »
The Greek ponies smell of vanilla :)

Skeen the Brazil hair is very fine indeed! I have met a de-carded Brazilian pony and her hair did feel oily, it was so fine and smooth. Saran is the closest thing to Brazil hair, but like you said you can't mistake Brazil hair for anything else ^.^

Brazil bodies do get issues, stickiness and patchy fading (I'm thinking of Sprinkles who seems prone to that), but it is the hair that is that stands out on them.

Love pkw xxx

Ooh! Greeks get more interesting each day.

Sprinkles also seems the most vulnerable to head/body mismatch. I don't think I have even seen other brazilians with such amount of fading in their bodies or heads that Sprinkles seems to often come with.

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
PKW a lot of time Sprinkles looks like those weird Blossoms (? might be thinking of Windy) that seem to bleed out their dye when cleaning them.  They just get lighter and lighter and some places have kind of a watercolor look to them where the dye has come out and resettled! 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
PKW a lot of time Sprinkles looks like those weird Blossoms (? might be thinking of Windy) that seem to bleed out their dye when cleaning them.  They just get lighter and lighter and some places have kind of a watercolor look to them where the dye has come out and resettled! 

Aaahhhhh I understand what you mean! It would make sense that it was just Sprinkles then as Parasol and Milky Way don't have the same problem, yet they are both pink.

Love pkw xxx

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
It looks like the sun to me, but you may never know for sure.  This is a Mexican pony someone sent me to fix after he had faded when she tried to sunfade away the sharpie marks.  Definitely no creams used:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal