collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acne cream victim or sunfaded?  (Read 14082 times)

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Acne cream victim or sunfaded?
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
So uh.. a few weeks ago I went to pick up my herds newest nirvana member. The mexican Perfume Palace pony. She should be pink, as in this: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Mex-perfume-puff.jpg
But mine is.. yellow/orange. The first picture doesn't even show how yellow she is. She has been rerooted, and in general some poor restoration attempt has gone to her. But she hasn't even been cleaned inside..? She had some dark dirt at the bottom of her hoove and she was all slimy outside. And whoever tried to "fix" her this didn't even exchange her rusting washer despite changing the tail itself,
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Yes that's the tail exactly as I got it out as)

In general, her discoloration reminds me of a severe acne cream victim Thundercloud I saw here on Arena a while ago. I assume my Perfume Palace pony too has been cleaned with acne cream, but it could also be sunfading. Opinions on that matter?

I know very few of this ponys origin. The person I bought her from had gotten it in some lot.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:35:39 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Acne cream victim or sunfaded?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
If she seems to have been poorly restored, maybe that person followed some acne cream tutorial indeed. But at the same time, she seems to have her vinyl discolored right behind her symbols. Technically, acne cream victims get discolored locally where the cream was applied, isn't it ? In that case, shouldn't the symbol be completely erased at the moment that person cleaned her up ?
But that pony looks very suspicious. When in doubts, I'd consider her as an acne cream victim, but of course, there are more experienced people who can share their opinion.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:00:33 PM by RoseNoire »
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
If she seems to have been poorly restored, maybe that person followed some acne cream tutorial indeed. But at the same time, she seems to have her vinyl discolored right behind her symbols. Technically, acne cream victims get discolored locally where the cream was applied, isn't it ? In that case, shouldn't the symbol be completely erased at the moment that person cleaned her up ?
But that pony looks very suspicious. When in doubts, I'd consider her as an acne cream victim, but of course, there are more experienced people who can share their opinion.

I was wondering the same yes. And she has the discoloration about everywhere, mainly on the back and on her face. Wasn't there a Thundercloud that had been treated with acne cream that was completely grey from his body? But more often yes, the discoloration is where the cream was applied. But then again, my Perfume Palace pony is mexican so the vinyl may be more poor quality than that of Hong Kong and China made ponies - so maybe it has more severe effects on these.
And her symbols are actualy quite faded as you can see from the second picture. I have no idea how was she before this attempted "restoration" though.
She is indeed suspicious, off colour and I got her rerooted tail and mane wise. Thank you though!

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »
Her symbols looks like it has been simply worn off by time. I suppose it would have been pretty much gone or very badly rubbed off if it was the work of acne cream.
Like you said, maybe her Mexican vinyl is a lesser quality, so the cream effect may have spread way out of the zone where it was applied back then, so, not the symbol, but maybe somewhere around it.
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »
Her symbols looks like it has been simply worn off by time. I suppose it would have been pretty much gone or very badly rubbed off if it was the work of acne cream.
Like you said, maybe her Mexican vinyl is a lesser quality, so the cream effect may have spread way out of the zone where it was applied back then, so, not the symbol, but maybe somewhere around it.

I agree. And makes sense, though some of the stars are straight up gone.
Yeah, that would make sense. Because parts of her face are awfuly more yellow than the rest and it looks like the discoloration may have started from spots, not to mention insides of her legs are still fairly pink.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
What if it was regrind ? Do you think this could be an option ? Now, it's hard to tell the difference, but I though acne cream whitened every pony vinyl, but I strongly think I might be wrong. Regrind, on the other hand, makes the plastic another color, making big blotches until the pony is fully converted.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:26:07 PM by RoseNoire »
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
I do not think it was caused by acne creams. Long ago I ruined my childhood ponies with it and later a few others after experimenting, it looks different. It usually makes white spots, completely removes the colour. It's easy to see where it was applied. And yeah, it also removes color from paints.

It could be anything really. I once saw a similar discoloured pony. Someone had sprayed hair spray on her years ago and causing bad discoloration.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:12:33 PM by Eldarwen »

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
What if it was regrind ? Do you think this could be an option ? Now, it's hard to tell the difference, but I though acne cream whitened every pony vinyl, but I strongly think I might be wrong. Regrind, on the other hand, makes the plastic another color, making big blotches until the pony is fully converted.

Isn't regrind usualy pink in colour though? I have not heard of yellowing or whitening regrind, especialy on this scale. And my ponies with regrind all have either bright pink spots or bigger pink spots that are quite light in tone. And it's more common in yellow ponies.

Post Merge: October 26, 2018, 04:04:10 PM

I do not think it was caused by acne creams. Long ago I ruined my childhood ponies with it and later a few others after experimenting, it looks different. It usually makes white spots, completely removes the colour. It's easy to see where it was applied. And yeah, it also removes color from paints.

It could be anything really. I once saw a similar discoloured pony. Someone had sprayed hair spray on her years ago and causing bad discoloration.

Ah I see! That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I didn't even think it could be such as hair spray, but that makes a lot of sense. Thank you soo much, because now I atleast know for almost certain chemicals have done this to her. We just will never know what chemicals, at this point it's probably impossible to track even the person the seller bought the lot from.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:04:10 PM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
Thank you soo much, because now I atleast know for almost certain chemicals have done this to her. We just will never know what chemicals, at this point it's probably impossible to track even the person the seller bought the lot from.

It could be a combination of many things, but to me it looks like some chemical. Hairspray, perfume.. something like that. Especially because you said she was slimy outside? Who knows what happens to plastic over the years if something like that is applied on it.

Of course I can't be sure it's not creams, but I've used them so much over the years and in my opinion it just looks different. :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »
I'd agree this looks like chemical damage, if not acne cream that something else unfortunately.  There's some serious bleaching that's gone on.  It can happen that bleaching stains like that spread out under paint, depending on how many years it's been since the initial damage.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 02:55:58 AM »
Thank you soo much, because now I atleast know for almost certain chemicals have done this to her. We just will never know what chemicals, at this point it's probably impossible to track even the person the seller bought the lot from.

It could be a combination of many things, but to me it looks like some chemical. Hairspray, perfume.. something like that. Especially because you said she was slimy outside? Who knows what happens to plastic over the years if something like that is applied on it.

Of course I can't be sure it's not creams, but I've used them so much over the years and in my opinion it just looks different. :)

It could very well be, who knows.
And yes, before I washed her she was quite slimy.

It's okay, for me it's enough to be sure this has happened due to kids playing with chemicals.

Post Merge: October 27, 2018, 02:56:56 AM

I'd agree this looks like chemical damage, if not acne cream that something else unfortunately.  There's some serious bleaching that's gone on.  It can happen that bleaching stains like that spread out under paint, depending on how many years it's been since the initial damage.

Yep. I agree.
And definetly. That makes sense, thanks.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
If she's sticky it makes me wonder if it's plasticizer letching out from her.  Maybe not what made her over colour change but could be in addition to whatever else is going on.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 10:26:48 PM »
The tail washer looks like a standard washer to me. Most Nirvana ponies have tails tied with string then have a washer with them.

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
The tail washer looks like a standard washer to me. Most Nirvana ponies have tails tied with string then have a washer with them.

The thing is, her tail is a replacement obviously. (I forgot to mention it, sorry!) And I do not understand who would leave a rusting washer to a pony if they change the whole tail.

Post Merge: October 28, 2018, 09:32:30 AM

If she's sticky it makes me wonder if it's plasticizer letching out from her.  Maybe not what made her over colour change but could be in addition to whatever else is going on.

Who knows. I can't imagine where has this pony came from if it's yellow, slimy, rerooted hopefuly for a good reason and has faded symbols.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:33:51 AM by CinnamonOnions »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »
It's how Mexican ponies age, they go a bit patchy, especially the pink ones!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal