collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: At what point do you throw something out, if it's from G1?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: At what point do you throw something out, if it's from G1?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
I try not to throw anything pony related out. I tend to keep everything, but if I didn't want something I'd find someone who did.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Annichen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • So Soft Pony
  • G1 MLP 4 life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »
I'd never throw out my original collection, the ones I got as a kid, and not the ones I collected at flea markets etc. as a kid - after they were sold in the shop they quickly turned up at second hand type shops and I always picked them up.
As for the rest if I don't care for it any more I'd never throw it out but I would rather offer it up for sale or give away if possible, I don't believe in throwing away much. Many things can be recycled or upgraded in some way. Like that sleeping bag if totally trashed can be filling for cushions or such.
And yes, I am a tree hugger hippie save the whale type person.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 03:50:12 AM »
Did that yesterday... for the first time :/ *stillsad*
It was a whole bunch of self-made trophies from the german convention 2012. They were made of hairless Collectors Ponys, sprayed in gold or silver or bronze paint and over the years they started to kinda dissolve :( So yesterday I finally throw them out. My heart is bleeding to discard G1 ponies but they were sticky to the point of no return. :( :( :(

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 07:24:20 AM »
Did that yesterday... for the first time :/ *stillsad*
It was a whole bunch of self-made trophies from the german convention 2012. They were made of hairless Collectors Ponys, sprayed in gold or silver or bronze paint and over the years they started to kinda dissolve :( So yesterday I finally throw them out. My heart is bleeding to discard G1 ponies but they were sticky to the point of no return. :( :( :(
Ugh that is so awful... and I totally can relate to your sadness.  I "had" to throw away an utterly gross sea pony before because it was just infested with mold and mildew... the vinyl had started to wear thin, even! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Loreofyore

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
I even threw out a near mint pony… no need to feel bad.

I’d been really excited when FIM first appeared hoping anime style ponies would bring more of the world into the modern MLP collecting community… but after first the zebra then the buffalos ep. I traded my original FIM set rationalizing that PVC is bad for landfills while keeping my beloved G1 Apple Jack whom was a big part of my childhood. Then FIM exploded and at some point I just couldn’t look at my G1 Apple Jack, a fav since the early eighties without seeing FIM Obnoxious Settler Apple Jack who was now absolutely everywhere… (am mixed blood/know a thing about what still happens).  No significant damage other than that the real world got so bad one day I’d had it and my beloved G1 AJ got tossed no matter how much she’d been part of my young life… I couldn’t take being reminded of the apple pie propoganda.

In G1 series I do still love AJ when I see her act herself… she’s just a shy pony who loves apples and is acting that personality out, rather than that remade hollering colonialist teaching the barely verbal natives to ‘share’ their ‘sacred stomping grounds’. When Hasbro railroaded that revisionism about what my ancestors did to my other ancestors into the cannon I ceased paying them for it, I upped my fakie collection, & if it weren’t for the work of the fans to say that had been insensitive, I might have gone off MLP completely… but I liked how the fandom is also often honest about the bad, renamed a FIM as Muffin Pony to be more inclusive, how y’all started up a queer bronies FIM site or two to counter the whole ‘no everybody we fans are actually stigmatized straight males’ cis-centricism and I realized there is more friendship magic in some places than being all about  the brand or corporate history… more like Ever After Highers writing over the story book (take that corporate destiny!) and tossing out the bad at times for real life people, cannon or not within the FIM and other MLP communities.

I usually never throw out an MLP, I use my pocket money to send even the chewed ones to MLP cyber-heaven (ebay) for less than the price of their shipping and they go easy.  :hearts: But I say you really don’t have to try so hard to either justify tossing your pony or deeming her worthy of your customizing. Sooner or later a landfill will sadly come for every pony as her body plastics no matter your scheme will break down. It is how you feel about her that is entirely important to the question of your keeping or reworking a damaged pony.

My baby remcos I really want to keep right now but I know they just keep sweating and I need to toss them too. I don’t know what was in G3 Secret Wish but mine had a slimy onion sweat after awhile that’s even worse than remco sticky and I sadly had to toss her… don’t know if that’s just the batch of plastic which made mine or everyone’s, but if we keep making new toys from landfill type waste we’ll probably eventually run out of parks. Maybe smaller plushies are the answer to corroding plastics? Sighs.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
I don’t know what was in G3 Secret Wish but mine had a slimy onion sweat after awhile that’s even worse than remco sticky and I sadly had to toss her… don’t know if that’s just the batch of plastic which made mine or everyone’s, but if we keep making new toys from landfill type waste we’ll probably eventually run out of parks. Maybe smaller plushies are the answer to corroding plastics? Sighs.

It's a side effect of the plasticizer breaking down/leaving the vinyl mix, and yes, everyone's G3 Sparkle Ponies are messed up from it! :(  You can soak up the stickiness with baby powder but it keeps coming out until it's all gone... then you have a super rock hard pony that is slightly discoloured.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
Luckily I've never had to go through this - but personally I'd only throw something out if it was totally unsalvageable, no way of saving it at all. And even then I'd take photos of it first, lol.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:28 AM »
The Petite Castle could be used as a custom bait for people who want to customize a play set.  I would definitely offer it up on here to see if anyone is interested.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17:35 AM »
Difficult... I'd like to say that I would never throw anything from G1 out, but I can't deny that I have thrown my unwanted pile of manky Italians a "you're out of here"-look on more than one occasion. :lookround:

Don't worry, they're still here. I could never throw a pony in the trash, my conscience would kill me! But I really really don't want them, they will never make it to my collection area, and in my opnion Italians ALWAYS look manky, even when they're near mint (the one in my avatar is an exception, she's very sweet). So why don't I just put them up for sale? I'd like to, but shipping from The Netherlands is crazy. I only put ponies up for sale if their own price makes up for it, because nobody would pay close to 25 euros shipping for a $5 pony. :crazy: I'm also a super inexperienced seller, so shipping items abroad makes me nervous. :yikes:

Long story short: I would really like to throw some items/ponies out, but I'm too chicken to do so. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
Difficult... I'd like to say that I would never throw anything from G1 out, but I can't deny that I have thrown my unwanted pile of manky Italians a "you're out of here"-look on more than one occasion. :lookround:

Don't worry, they're still here. I could never throw a pony in the trash, my conscience would kill me! But I really really don't want them, they will never make it to my collection area, and in my opnion Italians ALWAYS look manky, even when they're near mint (the one in my avatar is an exception, she's very sweet). So why don't I just put them up for sale? I'd like to, but shipping from The Netherlands is crazy. I only put ponies up for sale if their own price makes up for it, because nobody would pay close to 25 euros shipping for a $5 pony. :crazy: I'm also a super inexperienced seller, so shipping items abroad makes me nervous. :yikes:

Long story short: I would really like to throw some items/ponies out, but I'm too chicken to do so. :P

You can always try to sell them within Netherlands? Also is the 25€ to US or inside Europe shipping price?

Offline Loreofyore

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 02:47:40 PM »
I don’t know what was in G3 Secret Wish but mine had a slimy onion sweat after awhile that’s even worse than remco sticky and I sadly had to toss her… don’t know if that’s just the batch of plastic which made mine or everyone’s, but if we keep making new toys from landfill type waste we’ll probably eventually run out of parks. Maybe smaller plushies are the answer to corroding plastics? Sighs.

It's a side effect of the plasticizer breaking down/leaving the vinyl mix, and yes, everyone's G3 Sparkle Ponies are messed up from it! :(  You can soak up the stickiness with baby powder but it keeps coming out until it's all gone... then you have a super rock hard pony that is slightly discoloured.
Wish I'd known that one at the time... she wasn't so old but in a bag when I found her and thus so bad I decided not to risk my health. Maybe I'll try rolling my remcos in cornstarch and see what happens, being rock hard would probably do them favors anyway...

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 05:45:03 AM »
You can always try to sell them within Netherlands? Also is the 25€ to US or inside Europe shipping price?

I think that's to the US, but I haven't looked it up for a while, so I'm not sure. Selling within The Netherlands would be a good idea, but I'm always afraid nobody would want them anyway because this country is flooded with Italian ponies (judging by my own experience and fleamarket brags from other Dutch people), and not even the good (super rare) ones. :P

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:47 AM »

I think that's to the US, but I haven't looked it up for a while, so I'm not sure. Selling within The Netherlands would be a good idea, but I'm always afraid nobody would want them anyway because this country is flooded with Italian ponies (judging by my own experience and fleamarket brags from other Dutch people), and not even the good (super rare) ones. :P

Some people don't thrift at all so they don't even know what ponies are common lol. You could put them together in a cheap lot, someone will take it.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
That's true! Maybe I will one day, I'll just have to pluck up the courage. :ninja:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal