collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FIM Season 8 episodes 25 and 26 "School Raze" Season 8 finale  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: FIM Season 8 episodes 25 and 26 "School Raze" Season 8 finale
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 06:22:21 AM »

Cozy Glow reminded me of Darla Dimple from the movie Cats Don't Dance, Darla went crazy when Danny the Cat ruined her scene, plus she plotted against the animals.

And they are both clearly inspired by Shirley Temple.... :wonder:

Good observation.
I wonder why Shirley Temple inspired characters are made out to be evil. The rl Shirley suffered severe abuse and s****l harrassment throughout her childhood/career and it messed her up.
Maybe that's why evil Cozy pony + Tirek doesn't sit well with me.

I think it is two reasons.  A:  the theme of "Things aren't always what they seem."  Just because you look cute doesn't mean you are nice.  And young Shirley Temple is the embodiment of cute.  B:  Young Shirley Temple can also be perceived by some as being too "cute" and too precocious.  That can come off as creepy or annoying to some people.  So it makes sense to push that perception toward the previous idea.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:24:33 AM by Sunset »

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
It was . . . okay?

Spoiler
I too thought the fantastic beasts being jailed was dumb, especially since the impression I got from previous episode was that the ponies were content to let them exist in the Everfree Forest, as long as they didn't stray into civilized lands and start wreaking havoc.

Also Cozy Glow being jailed is just???  For real?  I thought there'd be a big reveal about how she was really Chrysalis or something.  If she's really truly a filly then jailing her is not right.

I don't remember getting any insight into her motivations either, although it is possible I just missed that part.

Spoiler
See, that’s why I enjoyed this episode.  They weren’t afraid to “go there”. Cozy 100000% deserved to be in Tartarus, and I’m glad the writers didn’t wimp out and make her redeemable or have some slap on the wrist simply because of her age.  She obviously can’t be let loose in the streets.  Her mentality was more mature for her age, and so the punishment for, I think, was fitting.  I do hope she and Tirek escape and wreak havoc in season 9.  And I hope we lose the Student 6.  Wishful thinking, I know, but a girl can hope

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Spoiler

I think Cozy was meant to be a villain that looked too cute to be a threat which is why so many around her were surprised when she showed her true colors. While she was setting up her plan she was always trying to be helpful and she seems to start her half apologizes with "I'm so sorry"  I knew she was up to something when she tried to get the students to doubt their friendship and then told them that she hadn't meant for it to sound that way. 

Everyone would be suspicious  of Chrysalis or Tirek right away but who would suspect that a cute little filly would be such a terrible threat to Equestria?

It's probably been mentioned before but has anyone noticed that Cozy's cutie mark is a chess piece?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
Loved the finale!

Spoiler
However, I was super disappointed my theory about Cozy Glow being Chrysalis didn't pan out..... Part of me hopes that this still reveals itself to be the case, but with magic disappearing, I don't see how she could still be disguised?? A little frustrating, but at the same time, surprising. This is the first time we've seen a pony be a REAL villain on the show; unrepentant, no sad backstory, while being power hungry, unscrupulous, manipulative and cruel. Sunset Shimmer SEEMED that way, until we learn that she was originally an overly-successful prodigy who had never been denied before, and who felt hurt and betrayed when Celestia wouldn't give her the power to be a princess. Cozy Glow doesn't have a reason to do this besides just being malicious and wanting power deep in her heart. It's certainly something right out of left field.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
Spoiler
I'm also hoping for a reveal in Season 9 that Cozy isn't who she appears to be. Maybe since Changeling magic is different than other types of magic she could still keep up her disguise without magic?

I was also shocked at Cozy. I really thought she'd be another villain in disguise or being used by someone that knew the consequences but it appears she's the first pony that is just evil without a reason and she's not afraid to get rid of anyone that gets in her way. The fact that she can manipulate anyone including the adults is also troubling given the fact that she's so young. 

Ponyfan

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Spoiler
My thoughts, for what they're worth...

I understand why they made a pony the villain this season.  The whole point of the student six is to show that creatures other than ponies can be friends.  What better way for Chancellor Neighsay to grasp that than to be shown a nasty pony while simultaneously being rescued by a dragon, griffin, hippogriff, changeling, and yak?

Unfortunately, that means as much as I want Cozy to be revealed as Chrysalis in disguise, I don't see it happening.  It would entirely defeat the purpose of the rather lackluster eighth season.

Considering that Tartarus is the underworld in Greek mythology, it seems very wrong to punish Cozy Glow (and as noted, the 'monsters') by sending her there.  She's a bad pony.  A bad, bad pony, but this is excessive punishment, especially if it turns out she's just a filly.  The thought she could be an adult mare that looks like a filly entered my mind as well.  I hope that turns out to be the case.  Because otherwise, the only explanation is Princess Celestia is up for reelection and her opponent has accused her of being soft on crime for letting anypony who apologizes off the hook...

Seriously, Celestia.  She's quite likely a filly.  This is exceptionally harsh when we've seen a pony cause significantly more harm to ponies and property alike (Trixie in Magic Duel), offer a token (not to mention, insincere) apology, and is then allowed to run off without even a slap on the wrist.  After her defeat nopony tries to lock her up, and she only comes up to apologize to Twilight later.  Her first appearance shows her to be arrogant and selfish (though not truly a villain).  She takes that plunge willingly via purchase of the alicorn amulet, which she uses purely for 'revenge' on a pony for the unforgivable sin of showing her up and saving the town when she herself couldn't.  But there were no repercussions for her (of course, she's a fan favorite... can't tick off the fanbase, right?).  Nobody likes Cozy Glow, so its okay (and yes, the rook on her flank is something I took note to right away - it hints that she's more than she appears, and that there's a game being played, and I truly love subtle clues like that).

As for jumping the shark, this is the first show I've felt jumped the shark multiple times.  Twilight's ascension was the first.  Out of left field, and completely threw off the dynamics of the show.  Then that was immediately followed by Equestria Girls which took the show even lower.  I suppose we can take this as a combined jump (ooooh, like jumping a whole row of sharks!).  The show has been tolerable the past few seasons (instead of episodes that invoked a strong positive or negative reaction like the first few seasons, I find the last few seasons have trended towards mediocrity with very few highs and lows, just bland middle-of-the-road episodes), but they've needed to continue to bring in new supporting cast members to have somepony learn the ever-more-heavy-handed lessons.  Was the second shark jump the 'magic castle tree' or 'school of friendship'?  That's what I'm not positive of.  It's either jumped the shark twice or thrice in my opinion.

All of which comes down to the show trying to continue to outdo itself.  From an 'epic' standpoint, it's hard to beat Twilight wielding the power of four alicorns in a one-on-one battle with a monstrous centaur, so they've got to do something to keep the audience interested.
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
Spoiler

I understand why they made a pony the villain this season.  The whole point of the student six is to show that creatures other than ponies can be friends.  What better way for Chancellor Neighsay to grasp that than to be shown a nasty pony while simultaneously being rescued by a dragon, griffin, hippogriff, changeling, and yak?

Unfortunately, that means as much as I want Cozy to be revealed as Chrysalis in disguise, I don't see it happening.  It would entirely defeat the purpose of the rather lackluster eighth season.

Considering that Tartarus is the underworld in Greek mythology, it seems very wrong to punish Cozy Glow (and as noted, the 'monsters') by sending her there.  She's a bad pony.  A bad, bad pony, but this is excessive punishment, especially if it turns out she's just a filly.  The thought she could be an adult mare that looks like a filly entered my mind as well.  I hope that turns out to be the case.  Because otherwise, the only explanation is Princess Celestia is up for reelection and her opponent has accused her of being soft on crime for letting anypony who apologizes off the hook...

Seriously, Celestia.  She's quite likely a filly.  This is exceptionally harsh when we've seen a pony cause significantly more harm to ponies and property alike (Trixie in Magic Duel), offer a token (not to mention, insincere) apology, and is then allowed to run off without even a slap on the wrist.  After her defeat nopony tries to lock her up, and she only comes up to apologize to Twilight later.  Her first appearance shows her to be arrogant and selfish (though not truly a villain).  She takes that plunge willingly via purchase of the alicorn amulet, which she uses purely for 'revenge' on a pony for the unforgivable sin of showing her up and saving the town when she herself couldn't.  But there were no repercussions for her (of course, she's a fan favorite... can't tick off the fanbase, right?).  Nobody likes Cozy Glow, so its okay (and yes, the rook on her flank is something I took note to right away - it hints that she's more than she appears, and that there's a game being played, and I truly love subtle clues like that).

As for jumping the shark, this is the first show I've felt jumped the shark multiple times.  Twilight's ascension was the first.  Out of left field, and completely threw off the dynamics of the show.  Then that was immediately followed by Equestria Girls which took the show even lower.  I suppose we can take this as a combined jump (ooooh, like jumping a whole row of sharks!).  The show has been tolerable the past few seasons (instead of episodes that invoked a strong positive or negative reaction like the first few seasons, I find the last few seasons have trended towards mediocrity with very few highs and lows, just bland middle-of-the-road episodes), but they've needed to continue to bring in new supporting cast members to have somepony learn the ever-more-heavy-handed lessons.  Was the second shark jump the 'magic castle tree' or 'school of friendship'?  That's what I'm not positive of.  It's either jumped the shark twice or thrice in my opinion.

All of which comes down to the show trying to continue to outdo itself.  From an 'epic' standpoint, it's hard to beat Twilight wielding the power of four alicorns in a one-on-one battle with a monstrous centaur, so they've got to do something to keep the audience interested.

Spoiler
That's a great point about Chancellor Neighsay. I realized it was ironic that he thought only ponies were capable of friendship and then to be confronted by Cozy's true nature only to be rescued by the very creatures that he thought were worthless. and incapable of understanding friendship. 

One reason I don't think Cozy's really a filly/pony is we haven't seen anything about her family. Would her parents really have no qualms about sending her to Tartarus for forever?

I think putting her in the cage next to Tirek was a terrible decision since they will probably plot their revenge on the students, the Mane 6 and Princess Celestia.

I'm hoping we see more of Cozy in the Season 9 opener.

Ponyfan

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
Spoiler
I felt it was a bit of a letdown because for all the things she did, they didn't really detail how the deal was made with Tirek and the whole magic works if inside the animals thing didn't make any sense when they already said magic didn't work there. I thought magic is magic regardless of where it comes from. Why should it work inside animals and not the ponies that already have it? Plus where'd the animals get the magic from? Cozy seemed like she was mentally unstable and that made her hard to watch.

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
Spoiler

I knew she was up to something when she tried to get the students to doubt their friendship and then told them that she hadn't meant for it to sound that way. 

Ponyfan

Hey, me too. After that insident I have always been vary of her.  :ninja:

Spoiler

Maby Cozy is actually an adult, who for some reason has a fillys body. Getting more power could maby help her get her old body back or something.

I dont want her to be a chrysalis, but something else.

Thank you :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
Spoiler

Spoiler
That's a great point about Chancellor Neighsay. I realized it was ironic that he thought only ponies were capable of friendship and then to be confronted by Cozy's true nature only to be rescued by the very creatures that he thought were worthless. and incapable of understanding friendship. 

One reason I don't think Cozy's really a filly/pony is we haven't seen anything about her family. Would her parents really have no qualms about sending her to Tartarus for forever?

I think putting her in the cage next to Tirek was a terrible decision since they will probably plot their revenge on the students, the Mane 6 and Princess Celestia.

Ponyfan

Spoiler
The princesses are really stupid when the plot calls for it. Luna putting her right next to Tirek when the others could have informed her he helped Cozy was a move for plot convenience and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Cozy will return and Tirek probably, too.

At this point I hope they bring back Tirek for G5 because I want to see several episodes with him as a mysterious dark lord and not an overpowered DBZ villain or old man in a cage.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
Spoiler

Spoiler

Ponyfan

Spoiler
The princesses are really stupid when the plot calls for it. Luna putting her right next to Tirek when the others could have informed her he helped Cozy was a move for plot convenience and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Cozy will return and Tirek probably, too.

At this point I hope they bring back Tirek for G5 because I want to see several episodes with him as a mysterious dark lord and not an overpowered DBZ villain or old man in a cage.

Spoiler
I agree. It's not the first time I've wondered what the writers were thinking when a character suddenly throws logical thinking out the window for no reason. And Cozy looked way too happy to be placed next to Tirek.

I'm pretty sure Season 9 will open with  Cozy and Tirek escaping Tartarus while Celestia and Luna wonder how that could happen. 

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal