collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non-USA Ponyfriends: Best Chocolate?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Non-USA Ponyfriends: Best Chocolate?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »
Milkybar and Cadbury's Bournville are my two favourite types of chocolate. I've had Hershey's Cookies and Cream before, they sell them practically everywhere where I am XD I quite like it to be honest, although its quite sickly so I don't tend to eat much of it.

I'm a Brummie by birth so I have to be loyal to Cadbury and Bourneville stuff since they come originally from my city.
But I know from a visiting US friend that the Cadbury we have isn't the same as in the US which is under licence from Hershey maybe? One of your companies.

London is full for some reason of US sweet shops. Oxford Street has about five. I don't know why that many, but anyway!

I genuinely don't like US chocolate at all, it's way too sweet for my taste. But I know that some people from the US hate our chocolate too, so it's all about taste. I like dark chocolate as well, which Bourneville tends to be. I also like Milk Chocolate too though. I hate white chocolate, it isn't really even chocolate, and should be eradicated from the planet...

Galaxy chocolate seems quite popular. Galaxy. Milky Way. Let's add some more ponies to that list...

I also really like continental chocolate, though. We don't do bad Chocolate here but Europe do it better. Belgium. Switzerland. Yep. <3

Lindt! <3 Much love for Lindt here too!

I also like Japanese chocolate a surprising amount more than I thought I would. It's really just US chocolate I don't like. But I do like Oreos. I'm glad they're now mainstream here :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
Milkybar and Cadbury's Bournville are my two favourite types of chocolate. I've had Hershey's Cookies and Cream before, they sell them practically everywhere where I am XD I quite like it to be honest, although its quite sickly so I don't tend to eat much of it.

I'm a Brummie by birth so I have to be loyal to Cadbury and Bourneville stuff since they come originally from my city.
But I know from a visiting US friend that the Cadbury we have isn't the same as in the US which is under licence from Hershey maybe? One of your companies.

London is full for some reason of US sweet shops. Oxford Street has about five. I don't know why that many, but anyway!

I genuinely don't like US chocolate at all, it's way too sweet for my taste. But I know that some people from the US hate our chocolate too, so it's all about taste. I like dark chocolate as well, which Bourneville tends to be. I also like Milk Chocolate too though. I hate white chocolate, it isn't really even chocolate, and should be eradicated from the planet...

Galaxy chocolate seems quite popular. Galaxy. Milky Way. Let's add some more ponies to that list...

I also really like continental chocolate, though. We don't do bad Chocolate here but Europe do it better. Belgium. Switzerland. Yep. <3

Lindt! <3 Much love for Lindt here too!

I also like Japanese chocolate a surprising amount more than I thought I would. It's really just US chocolate I don't like. But I do like Oreos. I'm glad they're now mainstream here :D

lol, all hail Cadbury's  :worshippy:

Didn't Kraft foods buy out Cadbury's here in the UK? I'm sure they mentioned that on a documentary the other day. We've got 0 US sweets stores where I am although some shops tend to have a World Food section with a few sweets from other countries there, but the nearest US sweet shop I know about is in the Metrocentre in Gateshead, I used to buy Koolaid from there if we went lol. Hershey's is the only US chocolate I've had.

I very rarely have Lint (its more of my sisters thing) but I quite like it, it melts in the mouth. Galaxy too, I absolutely adore Galaxy Minstrels  :P
I've had Polish chocolate and caramel before, the caramel had a different texture to the stuff here in the UK, but it was absolutely delicious!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Cadbury is owned by the original people any more :( But the factory is still at Bourneville.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
Theres a local shop called Beanermunky Chocolates that sells out of this world stuff.
non local...kinder has a bar that is white in the middle and milk on the outside that I used to love. There are many German and Italian brands that are excellent too :)

now a days I need ot be careful due to allergies.  There are a few MA safe bars out there but I cant remember the name of my favourite one...I just look at the packaging >>

Ofcorse, when im staying home and someone taunts me with something with soy and milk (but without gluten) ill usually say flip it and prepare for internal war xD

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Cadbury is owned by the original people any more :( But the factory is still at Bourneville.

Yeah they're owned by Mondelez or something aka Kraft.  I'm sure they changed the recipe too.

Also, does anyone remember Chocolate Nibbles? I can't remember what company made them, but their mint and plain ones are delicious!  :lovey:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
Well, I've never had Hershey's chocolate so I can't comment on it but some of my favourite chocolate includes...
Caramac (white chocolate with a caramel flavour instead of actual gloopy caramel inside, it's so good!), Malteaser buttons, Galaxy, Milkybar, white Crunch bars and although the chocolate itself is neither here nor there, Crunchie has a special place in my heart, mainly because of the really awesome "Friday feeling" advert they had in the 90s. :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
Well, I am from the US, but I know good chocolate. Hershey's is cheap and at least 50% wax.  If you want branded chocolate that is better, I agree with the suggestion to try Lindt, they sell it just about everywhere now.   It is reasonably cheap (not like hershey's but then it has less wax and more choco)  it isn't the best but it is better than Hersheys certainly.

Look for chocolates that use the cocobutter- a lot of cheaper chocolates remove that as it is expensive and can be sold and replaced with other cheaper things.

If you want chocolate that will blow your head off with yum, you have to go small batch hand made.  If you have $$ to spend, I highly recommend Franz- which is actually in the US. frans.com

It is just as good as any number of hand made Belgium chocolates I have had. The salted caramels are especially good.

High quality chocolate made in small batches will always cost a lot more but will also taste 1000% better.  Hershey's is like comparing "Tang" to fresh squeezed orange juice.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »

Yeah they're owned by Mondelez or something aka Kraft.  I'm sure they changed the recipe too.

Yes, they changed Cadbury’s creme eggs and the chocolate on those is really waxy now.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »
Lindt is pretty great.
Belgian chocolate overall is amazing.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »
If you want chocolate that will blow your head off with yum, you have to go small batch hand made.  If you have $$ to spend, I highly recommend Franz- which is actually in the US. frans.com

It is just as good as any number of hand made Belgium chocolates I have had. The salted caramels are especially good.

welp.
I love caramel and there's a sur la table close to work that says there are some available. This could be dangerous. lol.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
I'm in the USA, but huge chocolate fan! So, as you can see from the range of answers so far, it's so subjective. I do like Lindt truffles. My favorite is dark or bittersweet chocolate so I prefer Scharffen Berger for eating plain and Valrohna for cooking with.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »
Fry's chocolate is pretty good, their Turkish delight with chocolate is one of my personal favourites.

Offline Goanna

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Oof yeah I've tried Hershey's before and it just tastes like... really low quality chocolate lol. Definitely unpleasant.

My favourite is probably Lindt.. but it's so sweet and rich that I can only eat it in small amounts and only for special occasions haha.

Cadbury is a good all-rounder, I can sit there and eat a heap of it xD
The Finnish chocolate Fazer as well is really lovely!
We also have this brand which I can't quite remember the name of... it's sold at ALDI and it's really delicious. Might be called something like "Just Organic"? Something along those lines. Supposedly fair trade and responsibly sourced too.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
I'm from the US, I like Theo Chocolate.  My only gripe is they love making really, really dark chocolate bars and I like milk chocolate bars.  Their milk chocolate is great--WHEN THEY MAKE IT. 

They're also fair trade . . . Sadly a lot of cocoa beans are harvested by slave labor (trafficked children).  The chocolate companies look the other way and purposely don't verify the sources for their cocoa.  :/  General rule of thumb . . . Cocoa from South America is okay, cocoa from Africa is likely to be harvested by child slaves.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 01:42:51 AM »
I find most chocolate way too sweet. Hersheys taste nothing like chocolate to me.

I don't mind Lindt as a sweet one but really I go for dark chocolate,  I like Green&Blacks.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal