collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How did Sundance get her name?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
How did Sundance get her name?
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:06:19 AM »
Sundance is kind of a weird name for the pony in question.  I mean.  Most ponies have names that have something to do with their symbols/cutie marks, if only peripherally.  Sundance though?  I only see it as place names or as a Native American ceremony.  Where on earth did that name come from?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: How did Sundance get her name?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 05:26:06 AM »
I've never thought about how Sundance got her name before but I've often wondered how Hasbro came up with some of the ponies names too.  My favorite theories are Hasbro picking random names/items from a hat and putting the two together to make pony names or they started naming ponies as a party game at the company cocktail parties. :lol: 

Maybe Hasbro thought the hearts in  a circle looked like they were dancing?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 05:38:49 AM »
I figured it had to do with sun catchers.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:13:07 AM »
Even as a kid I wondered this same thing.  Her symbol is also very abstract for the time she came out.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:29:29 AM »
I have no idea. The only thing I could think of, is that it was a combo of laziness and popularity. Sundance has always been a very popular horse name.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »
I’m not sure myself. Sundance being a popular horse name seems like a likely answer.
     But I would love it if they actually had a game to name ponies at company parties. And the names get weirder as the night goes on. Start with flutter shy, end with tink a tink a too.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline chateaushelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
I'm 110% on board with the theory that HASBRO was feeding the naming committee some cocktails as they brainstormed. Especially in the G3 era - some of those names... Scootaloo, Razzaroo....

As far as Sundance - I'm in agreement with the popular horse name consensus - especially since she was sold wearing a bridle and with Megan. However, I agree with you as well - with a name like Sundance - you would think that a sun or some other celestial art would be part of her symbol, like G2 Sundance. I think when G1 Sundance was released that pink was still in high demand for girl toys, so they marketed based more on color scheme (pink & white) than symbol logic.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »
I'm 110% on board with the theory that HASBRO was feeding the naming committee some cocktails as they brainstormed. Especially in the G3 era - some of those names... Scootaloo, Razzaroo....
... Tink-a-tink-a-too ;) But that one is onomatopoeia.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:01:09 AM »
Her name is Sundance because if you notice her symbol at the center is a pink dot, which represents a black hole. The hearts are not actually hearts, they are distorted stars which are being pulled into the black hole. The suns are circling at a high rate of speed, which with the distortion of being pulled into a black hole and circling it makes the suns look like they are dancing around the blackhole.

So yea, Sundance...

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »
I love the name Razzaroo.

Her name is Sundance because if you notice her symbol at the center is a pink dot, which represents a black hole. The hearts are not actually hearts, they are distorted stars which are being pulled into the black hole. The suns are circling at a high rate of speed, which with the distortion of being pulled into a black hole and circling it makes the suns look like they are dancing around the blackhole.

So yea, Sundance...

:blink:

Posts like this are one of the reasons we need like buttons.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »

So yea, Sundance...

*gives cookies*

I remember wondering that ever since I had to take a unit on the American West in secondary school for my GCSE exams, and learned what a Sundance actually was. It made me look at her very differently...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »

So yea, Sundance...

*gives cookies*

I remember wondering that ever since I had to take a unit on the American West in secondary school for my GCSE exams, and learned what a Sundance actually was. It made me look at her very differently...

I've never really put a lot of thought into her name, other than her being one of my favorite ponies in her simplicity, I think there could be any number of reasons she ended up being named Sundance.

I think it seems more people don't see the connection with the name and symbol/pony.

I believe in native american culture there is a ceremony called a sundance; which is what I believe you are talking about Taff.

I think also a white horse/pony has symbolic meaning in a lot of different cultures. I'm sure in native american culture it has meaning; messanger maybe?? not sure.

MLP Sundance's circular symbol even reminds me of a mandala.

I think we'd really have to figure out which designer came up with Sundance and how they go to calling a white pony with pink hair and a circular heart symbol Sundance.

Was there a meaning behind it at all? Or was it the only thing that worked for this particular pony? It'd be an interesting question to ask Hasbro designer why the name was chosen.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
I just always figured she was part of an unfinished set where her hubby was named Butch...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Never made the mandala connection before Karen.

Funny you say that Pokeyone. I used to call my childhood  Sunnybunch Cassidy, as I didn't know her name.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Good question. Which makes me wonder what comes first, the pony's design or the name? Or is it a back and forth thing until the final design and name gets approved?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal