collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who was the first pony you bought as an adult?  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the first pony you bought as an adult?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
Really depends on what time frame you identify as 'adult'.
I collected most of my G1's from early teens all the way through well into adulthood, so it's pretty tough to say.

I just mean as in...not a kid, when I guess it would no longer be acceptable for you to buy a children’s toy! I was 13 when I hit up eBay for the first time, so not an adult either but it was the first time I was consciously looking for vintage MLP, not just being bought them as a child.

That doesn't really help... I mean I was getting ponies throughout my childhood, teenagehood, and adulthood, and there's overlap between those being bought for me and those I sought out myself.  It's never really stopped, nor was it ever deemed unacceptable for me to like toys at any point. I guess first second hand ponies I bought personally and remember, does that count?  That was probably Baby Blossom and Firefly.  Baby Milky Way (25¢) and the Sweet Celebrations family (3$) were also up there in the early second-hand finds. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »
I poured over the first images of the G3's deciding what I wanted, and I was SURE I was going to buy Kimono.
I ended up buying Pinkie Pie! Her in the shy pose was just adorable.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:46 AM »
I was 20 when I first discovered ponies! My first ever pony was Baby Ribbon, but I didn't actually buy her as she was a gift from my girlfriend (because I'd been ohhing and ahhing over her recently rediscovered childhood ponies!).
Then I got a tired-looking G3 Petal Blossom for free (she had belonged to one of my mum's friend's kids who had outgrown her; the friend was taking her to the charity shop on top of a bag of other stuff and my mum was like, "Hey, Shaz would like that!" Poor Petal Blossom was covered in marker and nail polish and had a haircut, so she became my first ever restoration project), and a Ty G4 Rainbow Dash as a gift.
So I think the first pony I actually bought and paid for myself was G4 Cheerilee, who I found one day while shopping in Tesco's. Then I went mad buying G4 blindbags, and then a few months later I made my way to eBay and bought G1 Baby Yo-Yo....and after that there was just no stopping me! :)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 03:36:18 AM »
I got into ponies with G4, around age 18. So my first pony I bought was a G4, Rarity :)
My first older gen pony after I found the Arena and became interested in the older generations, was G3 Moondancer! I totally fell in love with her and quickly understood why people collect these beautiful critters :heart:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:28 AM »
I think it was Winter Minty in 2008. If she really came out in Winter 2008 then I would have been 18. But I don't remember much. I think it was at a Toys R Us.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 06:01:31 AM »
I started collecting in 2005 by digging out my childhood ponies from storage - luckily Mum had been strictly against selling any of our most beloved toys! Together with my sister's ponies they were a herd of about 10, mostly G1 and some G2. (I ended up selling the G2 ponies later, which I now regret... they were complete with accessories, after all!)

Sadly I can't remember who was the first G1 pony I bought for my collection, but the first G3 one was Bowtie (and I got Seaspray for my birthday shortly after). I'm not even sure if my first G1 came before or after these G3 ponies - probably after, since I could just walk to the store to get the G3s! But I also joined the Finnish pony community around the same time so I'm sure some G1s soon followed. I find it odd I have no memory of my first vintage pony purchase even though G1s were always my primary target of interest...

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
I've been getting/buying MLP since 1983/4 - I never really stopped, actually I'd point out that in the USA hasbro stopped selling them to me where I had to transition to finding second hand ponies.

In 83-4 I would have been around 11/12, when I bought my first ponies.

I've technically had more years with MLP in my life than without (35 years).

So 11/12 years without ponies, they rest with ponies. So I have no way of knowing what would qualify my first purchase as an adult.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
The first pony I bought as an adult was Posey, she was always my favourite as a kid. I'd been hoping to find my childhood ponies and never did (they'd probably been given away at some point) and I wanted to replace them. That broadened to collecting pretty much any ponies that had some appeal for a while, then I pared down my collection again and just kept the replacements for my long lost childhood favourites. I'm much more disciplined with buying ponies now (not least because the ones I want seem to have gone very scarce all of a sudden!)

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
I think my first as an adult was Little Flitter.  She was fav of one of my cousins and one day when she took her to school, another student stole her.   The Summer Wings weren't in stores anymore and there was no internet so no way to replace her. 
I had the chance to buy one from a Texas seller on the MLP Trading post and later another Little Flitter on Ebay so I could have one too.   Gave the first one as a high school graduation present to my cousin and she still has her to this day.  :)

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
I think mine was G4, Glow n Show Rarity. I wanted to style her hair! I remember carefully opening the box, and saving the stickers and barrettes ^.^
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
I honestly can't tell. During my mid-late~ish teenage years, I was asking my parents to pick up ponies for me in flea markets, then stopped for a couple of years and then started collecting again, going to the flea markets myself and buying ponies like crazy. Now I'm 20 so that's not like I'm an adult adult.. heh.  :P So yeah, I'm only able to tell my childhood herd apart from all the others, but I can't precisely tell who were my first ponies "as an adult".

This is me also.  Once I got into collecting as an “adult” in my late teens there was a lot of garage sells and flea markets where I or my parents picked them up.  For me this was in the lat nineties.  I was not at all interested in G2.  But I will say that I was very excited when g3 was announced and looking at the first characters and picking out the one that I wanted to purchase as my first pony to buy new in store since childhood.  That would be Wisteria.

I also stopped collecting at 11 and started again at 12 or 13, first through hasbro and then at carboot sales from July 1995 (I have the date written in my diary!). So if that counts, it was Lickety Split and Parasol. I was super excited by both as they were proper old ponies I remembered fondly from being a young kid, and neither of which I had ever had.

If we're talking about online - my first pony from online transacting was a trade for Mimic, but the first pony I actually bought online was adult Sea Pony Sea Breeze. She cost $5 with $4 for shipping. I kept the ebay receipt. I had to send $ in cash for her. That was 1998. I was 16 :)

Beyond that, as an actual "adult" - not a clue. I was already on the rocky road long before then...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
I think my first as an adult was Little Flitter.  She was fav of one of my cousins and one day when she took her to school, another student stole her.   The Summer Wings weren't in stores anymore and there was no internet so no way to replace her. 
I had the chance to buy one from a Texas seller on the MLP Trading post and later another Little Flitter on Ebay so I could have one too.   Gave the first one as a high school graduation present to my cousin and she still has her to this day.  :)

LOVE this story :)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
When I started to collect as an adult besides the ponies from my youth it was at the point that G3 came out. I already knew my way on ebay, so I bought 2 huge g1 lots as a starter. Mostly common ponies I didn't had back then or were not available over here. I think one of the sippin soda ponies was in there too. And from G3 I got myself Kimono :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »

LOVE this story :)

It sucks that the pony got stolen though. That almost happened to me with my childhood Snowflake. Innocent childhood me didn't realise it at the time, but older adult me since did. Basically I used to take ponies to school too - and bad things sometimes did happen to them - but Snowflake just kind of vanished. And I couldn't find her. And then a few days later the mother of my "friend" (who stopped being my friend not long after because she was stopping me being friends with other people) came up to the school gate with this pony and asked my Mum if it was mine, because it had my name on the hooves. At the time I thought, that's weird, I never took Snowflake to her house. But that's where she was. I was lucky I got mine back. I feel so bad for the cousin who lost her pony :(

Worst that happened to my ponies at school was a broken earring and some broken hooves. The earring still bugs me though, because the pony was in my bag but the earring wasn't. Someone either took her out and played with her and broke her behind my back, or they did it on purpose :( School was not a great place to take ponies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
I’m pretty sure that the first ponies I got after I got back in to ponies were Twilight the unicorn (I bought her off of Ebay and found out later that I had overpaid considering the condition she was in. ) and adult Wavedancer with her shell.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal