collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who was the first pony you bought as an adult?  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Who was the first pony you bought as an adult?
« on: October 08, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »
So I was thinking back to when I first started collecting as an adult (well, teenager) and who was the first pony I bought.

I got into collecting because I found out that my Mum had taken my ponies to a car boot sale when I was about 13 and sold them all! I was so upset. I had some ponies that are now very sought after - Nurse Tenderheart with hat, Glow n Shows etc but I didn’t know this at the time obviously! So the first thing I did was go on eBay and try to search for them to try and buy some of them back.

This led me down a deep pony internet wormhole where I ended up here and addicted to searching eBay to replace my long lost ponies!

The first pony I bought from eBay as an adult was Cherries Jubilee! I saw her and remember thinking she was just soooo pretty and I had to have her. She wasn’t even a pony I had as a kid, but for a long time she was one of my favourites and I ended up buying many more ponies from eBay with money from my part time job after that.

The irony is, now I don’t really like poor Cherries Jubilee at all! I don’t have her in my collection any more, but she was the pony that got me into collecting as an adult so I do have a bit of a soft spot for her!

What was the first pony you bought as a ‘grown up’? And why?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the first pony you bought as an adult?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 12:25:24 PM »
Well when G3 came out, I got a 4 pack with Stardasher, Denim Blue, Rainbowdash and Sparkleworks as a gift. I was also buying for my daughter when she was old enough to start playing with toys.

The first one I bought for myself was Styling Starcatcher. I found her at the swapmeet. I bought her because she was pretty and only $3.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:43:09 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
I bought Galaxy, Speedy, and Flower Dream at the same time, but Galaxy arrived first! So I'd consider her my first pony I bought as an adult. ;) I bought her because I love her colours and she's one of my favourite characters from My Little Pony 'n' Friends!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
I think it was Baby Moondancer from Ebay.  Why is because I'd always wanted her.  I had only seen Escape from Catrina once as a child, and Baby Moondancer just became more and more important to me.  I thought I would never see that special again.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:08:52 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
Pretty sure that it was a scruffy looking Glory from a flea market, bought at the same time as a bunch of He-man and She-ra figures.
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 01:22:11 PM »
I honestly can't tell. During my mid-late~ish teenage years, I was asking my parents to pick up ponies for me in flea markets, then stopped for a couple of years and then started collecting again, going to the flea markets myself and buying ponies like crazy. Now I'm 20 so that's not like I'm an adult adult.. heh.  :P So yeah, I'm only able to tell my childhood herd apart from all the others, but I can't precisely tell who were my first ponies "as an adult".
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
Powder.

I'd just nostalgically pulled out my childhood collection after years of storage and it didn't take long before curiosity got the better of me and I started investigating where 'vintage' ponies were at nowadays... and then looking at what might be on the local online auction site...

Powder just captivated me for some reason, and I thought, what harm can it do? Adding just one more pretty pony to my herd...?

Nearly 500 ponies later....  XD

It's a bit hazy after Powder.... but the herd grew rather quickly!

Offline silverfall

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponytopia.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
I think it was Snuzzle. I never had Snuzzle as a kid. I thought, get one or two ponies, just a few, oh how silly I was. But, yeah, I had a wish list since I was six. I never forgot a pony I didn't get, haha. I still have backcard cutouts of the ponies I needed. Snuzzle, Twilight, Cherries Jubilee, Powder, Gusty, Sparkler, those were all part of my first hunts.

The site is retired and I should probably update this.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »
I bought a huge bag of G1 ponies at a thrift store- I guess I was technically an adult. 18.  I was so freaking elated.  I don't remember who all was in there, but it was a HUUUUGE bag.  There were ponies in there I didn't even know existed (of course I do now)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
G1 Powder, found her in a thrift store, just before G3s came out.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
Really depends on what time frame you identify as 'adult'.
I collected most of my G1's from early teens all the way through well into adulthood, so it's pretty tough to say.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
Really depends on what time frame you identify as 'adult'.
I collected most of my G1's from early teens all the way through well into adulthood, so it's pretty tough to say.

I just mean as in...not a kid, when I guess it would no longer be acceptable for you to buy a children’s toy! I was 13 when I hit up eBay for the first time, so not an adult either but it was the first time I was consciously looking for vintage MLP, not just being bought them as a child.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
I honestly can't tell. During my mid-late~ish teenage years, I was asking my parents to pick up ponies for me in flea markets, then stopped for a couple of years and then started collecting again, going to the flea markets myself and buying ponies like crazy. Now I'm 20 so that's not like I'm an adult adult.. heh.  :P So yeah, I'm only able to tell my childhood herd apart from all the others, but I can't precisely tell who were my first ponies "as an adult".

This is me also.  Once I got into collecting as an “adult” in my late teens there was a lot of garage sells and flea markets where I or my parents picked them up.  For me this was in the lat nineties.  I was not at all interested in G2.  But I will say that I was very excited when g3 was announced and looking at the first characters and picking out the one that I wanted to purchase as my first pony to buy new in store since childhood.  That would be Wisteria.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »
Finding baby YoYo at a thrift store in 1995/96? when I was in college started it all for me.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »
I guess that would be Twinkler and Curly Locks. I just loved their pose and colors. Sadly they were my last pony purchase as a teenager. Then I went through the huge pony purge but I somehow managed to keep these two girls for whatever reason. I wish I would of kept my baby surprise but I didn't. I wish I could of said they restarted my collection but it wasnt until I was in my 30s did I take up collecting again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal